Fans and Overheating

Started by TarnishedWit, July 23, 2009, 03:03:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Ok, so I have an ancient computer. I'm talking a Dell Dimension 8200 that's close to, if not already, a decade old. So, it's had its fair share of problems, and we've repaired it through all the years a good many times.

The last year or so, the fan has had sporadic instances of giving out, causing massive slow computer syndrome and overheating. The last time we got it repaired (nigh on 2 months ago) the repairman checked the fan and said it was just dirty. It's worked fine up until yesterday. Yesterday, the fan failed yet again, and now the comp is crawling along. I can't even stream video anymore!

Anyway, it seems like it's not a hardware problem, since the repairman said it's fine. What's causing this? The error message that appears directly following boot-up is as follows:

Alert! Previous Fan Failure

No further information was given than that. So, all I know is that the fan stopped working the last time it turned on. That's it. Any help from the forum of techies?

buy a mac with applecare xD
hit me up on xFire sometime: thetwilightw0rm

Well that wasn't so useful, w0rm...

(I'm lack the knowledge regarding this which is why I'm not saying anything)

#TYBG

Dude, if you say this thing is 10 years old. Get a new computer.

@ w0rm - fail. PCs = me having a job

@ Mac- my dad is the one that decided what happens to the comp. im off to college in 3 years and he thinks it can survive until then when i get a laptop.

Ergo, I need help figuring out what to do with this. A new computer is not an option :P

Well, then check the fan out and see if it's dirty. If it is, clean it out, if it isn't, it may be a problem with the heat if it is hot in your area. Other than that idk, it could just be the computer aging, somebody else might have a better idea though.
Raoul Duke: feels redneck
Raoul Duke: have to bring the family tree when looking for women

Lilly Satou: also oh my god
Lilly Satou: fried chicken in the lingo is the best thing ever

Does the fan just not run at all or not run after a little bit of computer running time?

One possibility, check that the CPU fan wire isn't loose. It should be a wire that goes from the fan and connects to the motherboard right next to the fan. I once had a problem where I didn't push the connector down all the way and it came loose when I moved the computer and the entire thing froze for a sec then shut down instantly.

Also, if you can get to that point, go into the BIOS and look up the fan speeds and core temperatures

Viruses are like the New York Lottery. "Hey, you never know"