How Add The Feature "Exit To Windows" To The Escape Menu In MultiPlayer?

Started by Phobos, October 27, 2011, 03:07:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Basically, I want to know how to add the "Exit To Windows" option at the bottom of the escape menu in multiplayer, exactly how it looks and functions in single player. I assume it involves editing one of the *.script files in common/munged just like napseeker did to add fakeconsole option to multiplayer. The question is how?

Thread Primary Objective: Adding the option "exit to windows" to the multi-player escape menu.
Thread Secondary Objective: Modifying the "exit to windows" function to first disconnect from the server before closing game executable.
Solution: Not yet attained.

I have now renamed the thread
"How Add The Feature "Exit To Windows" To The Escape Menu In MultiPlayer?"
and will add [SOLVED] only after a solution is presented.

That option was removed due to the fact SWBF will crash and effectivly rendering your computer(Unless your using Windows 7.) inoperable and must be killed via haolding down the Power button on your PC, I could add it in for you but you'd crash your PC each time you clicked it.

Can you tell me how to add it?

It doesn't crash in single player, so it sounds like a coding bug C++.

Quote from: Phobos Developer on October 30, 2011, 02:21:00 PM
Can you tell me how to add it?

It doesn't crash in single player, so it sounds like a coding bug C++.
No coding bug it is due to the way SWBF multiplayer system works. Exit To Windows is the equevalent of pressing  Alt+F4 ingame they both activate the same fuction they will both freeze your computer in Multiplayer.

Quote from: SleepKiller on October 30, 2011, 02:46:28 PM
No coding bug it is due to the way SWBF multiplayer system works. Exit To Windows is the equevalent of pressing  Alt+F4 ingame they both activate the same fuction they will both freeze your computer in Multiplayer.
That is the bug right there, making exit to windows the equivalent of alt+f4. Because the exit to windows in single player is not alt+f4, it is close game and then close game executable.

October 30, 2011, 03:07:14 PM #5 Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 03:30:35 PM by SleepKiller
Quote from: Phobos Developer on October 30, 2011, 02:55:06 PM
That is the bug right there, making exit to windows the equivalent of alt+f4. Because the exit to windows in single player is not alt+f4, it is close game and then close game executable.
I find it annoying that you refuse to accept that it is the way SWBF networking works that causes it to crash. Alt+F4 is the equalvilant of Exit To Windows because when you press Exit To Windows you are not quiting your current game first then exiting the application you are ordering the application to terminate without doing anything else first.

Quote from: SleepKiller on October 30, 2011, 03:07:14 PM
I find it annoying that you refuse to accept that it is the way SWBF networking works that causes it to crash. Alt+F4 is the equalvilant of Exit To Windows because when you press Exit To Windows you are not quiting your current game first then exiting the application you are ordering the application to terminate without doing anything else first.
You are pretending things are not what they are. You refuse to acknowledge the SWBF networking is a subset of the c++ coding. It is bugged because they made exit to windows act like alt+f4 instead of how it functions in single player.

Quote from: Phobos Developer on October 30, 2011, 03:43:34 PM
You are pretending things are not what they are. You refuse to acknowledge the SWBF networking is a subset of the c++ coding. It is bugged because they made exit to windows act like alt+f4 instead of how it functions in single player.
Anybody else find Phobos annoying or is it just me? Listen to this Exit To Windows in signleplay is the same as it is in Multiplayer it does not shut down the game you are playing when you click it it simply terminates the battlefront.exe. And a bug is not what you think it is a bug is a peice of code that mulfuction under certain curcumstances causing unwanted functions. They were aware of the Exit To Windows button not being good under networking conditions so they removed it. It is not a bug it is simply the way Pandemic chose to program Zero to work. So can we put this to bed now or am I going to receive another epic fail speach from you?

October 30, 2011, 04:17:18 PM #8 Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 04:20:30 PM by jdee-barc
seriously, phobos, listen to him. he seems to be more knowledgeable of this matter then you, or me.

anyway, why does it matter? i really find it hard to believe people use the exit to windows button as opposed to alt f4
Current Projects:
Battlefront One and a Half Era Mod, v2.0. Making great progress (SWBF)

Quote from: jdee-barc on October 30, 2011, 04:17:18 PM
anyway, why does it matter? i really find it hard to believe people use the exit to windows button as opposed to alt f4
Yeah I always use Alt+F4 its quicker. But I never do it in multiplayer for hopefully obvious reasons that I seem to be explaining 3 times today....

ah isee. pardon my not-reading-every-post . but with this thread: TL;DR (not about you)
Current Projects:

alt-f4 works in multiplayer at the score screen, otherwise it results in a computer hang.  I use it to avoid starting a new map.  The server still keeps your name in the server for a few minutes, however, until is registers a loss of connection.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Quote from: SleepKiller on October 30, 2011, 04:07:44 PM
Anybody else find Phobos annoying or is it just me? Listen to this Exit To Windows in signleplay is the same as it is in Multiplayer it does not shut down the game you are playing when you click it it simply terminates the battlefront.exe. And a bug is not what you think it is a bug is a peice of code that mulfuction under certain curcumstances causing unwanted functions. They were aware of the Exit To Windows button not being good under networking conditions so they removed it. It is not a bug it is simply the way Pandemic chose to program Zero to work. So can we put this to bed now or am I going to receive another epic fail speach from you?
A bug is an unwanted piece of code, and it is unwanted to have exit to windows function as alt-f4 when it should close the game exe properly. Your failed antagonistic responses are getting annoying.
Quote from: jdee-barc on October 30, 2011, 04:17:18 PM
seriously, phobos, listen to him. he seems to be more knowledgeable of this matter then you, or me.
he wants to think he is a know it all but he is not

*Facepalm* here we go again...

but when you altf4 during multiplayer, i'm pretty sure you're computer is still technically hooked online so it would not only crash the game, but leave your computer not knowing what to do now.

a better idea would be to have a disconnect option and a disconnect and exit to windows option. it disconnects first, then quits. so no crash. is that a possible idea?
Current Projects:

Furthermore, a bug is anything which crashes the game.

An unbugged exit to windows in MP would do this:
Leave server, close game exe.

All it needs to do is combine multiplayers' quit with single player's exit to windows