Hooking up an Xbox.. (Solved)

Started by TarnishedWit, December 25, 2009, 11:07:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
December 25, 2009, 11:07:51 AM Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 01:12:32 AM by Hardcore
Well I got a 360 Elite for Christmas (thank you santa!!! :3) but it will not connect to Live. I don't have a wireless connection for it to work off of, but I've tried rigging all types of wired connections to it as I know how. The only internet connection comes to the modem on top of the computer tower. It travels through an ethernet cord into the tower of the comp. That's a pretty straightforward connection. But no matter how I try, i can't hook up anything to the xBox to cary over the connection, whether the computer is involved or not...

any help?

You need to plug it into a wall port, or hook it up to a wireless receiver to receive wifi (that option is $80 though)
I make signatures!

Hetalia FTW!

Quote from:  aghaha zorba, I'm going to remember you said that

dangerous narcotics are god's way of saying that its ok for idiots to auto-darwinate

Well alright so I was able to get it hooked up...but now my question becomes router-based. i only have a modem so if I connect my xBox to the internet, my computer won't have the connection. Routers are supposed to make it possible for both devices to share that signal, right? And if so, how much would a router go for?

If you have dynamic IP, you don't need a router, just get an ethernet switch (cheaper, I believe) and some extra cables. If you have static IP like me, you'll probably have to resort to a router. Unfortunately I haven't bought one yet so I have to share the cable between my computer and Wii.

Ethernet routers should go for about 30-ish, wireless ones obviously go for more.

#TYBG

Quote from: Vanir on December 25, 2009, 02:27:53 PM
Well alright so I was able to get it hooked up...but now my question becomes router-based. i only have a modem so if I connect my xBox to the internet, my computer won't have the connection. Routers are supposed to make it possible for both devices to share that signal, right? And if so, how much would a router go for?

If this is YOUR personal Xbox and YOUR personal PC that we are talking about here (that you are not sharing with anyone else in your household) then it shouldn't be such a big deal to just unplug one when you want to use the other. Now, I don't know anything about your furniture configuration, but in general, this should work fairly easily (I used to know a guy that had a Ps2, Gamecube, Xbox, and Dreamcast and would just swap out the cables in 5 seconds when he wanted to switch. I know that these are AV and power cables as opposed to ethernet cables, but if anything, ethernet should be easier to remove.
I make signatures!

Hetalia FTW!

dangerous narcotics are god's way of saying that its ok for idiots to auto-darwinate

You have to reset your modem every time you use a different device when it comes to Static IP. That's rather time consuming and I'm usually using the internet (facebook, lol) the same time I'm playing on my Wii. It's more convenient to have a router.

#TYBG

oh, woops.
I make signatures!

Hetalia FTW!

Quote from: Pink AG on December 25, 2009, 04:10:30 PM
You have to reset your modem every time you use a different device when it comes to Static IP. That's rather time consuming and I'm usually using the internet (facebook, lol) the same time I'm playing on my Wii. It's more convenient to have a router.

I think then that I have static, since I have to do that every time. Plus, my desktop's tower is in a difficult place, since its basically a cupboard with a hole in the corner to run wires through, so removing and replacing the ethernet cable is a pain. I also do share it with my dad, so anytime he would want to get on, I would have to unplug the cable from my xBox. and yes, i do need to restart the modem every time. so given that, would i need a switch or a router?

Yup, you have static IP, a switch won't work in this situation (I wasted a good 40 bucks due to the lack of research). You'll need to resort to a router. Maybe I'll buy a router sometime this Winter vacation and see how to set it up.

#TYBG

Thank you AG, with your help I was able to go get a good router that will not only hook up my Xbox, it will broadcast enough so that my Wii, my ipod touch, any laptop around and anything else I want can connect to it!! Thanks again for helping me out.

No problem Vanir :D Glad to help.

#TYBG