Help with some models .msh to .obj

Started by xtrem1275, March 01, 2016, 12:21:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
March 01, 2016, 12:21:07 PM Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 12:37:14 PM by xtrem1275
Hi good afternoon , someone could help me know , how to convert a .msh to .obj models, good afternoon thanks

March 01, 2016, 04:31:40 PM #1 Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 05:34:21 AM by Ginev
I can tell you a easy way.Well actually i dont know is this the right way so ill call it "My way" on how to covert msh to obj with working textures.First you need 2 programs.

Meshtool V4 and Noesis.

I upload them here so you can get them right now and use them.

(IF LINKS DONT WORK WAIT FOR 30 MIN Gamefront IS SLOW UPLOADING STUFF)

meshtool link:
http://www.gamefront.com/files/25513607/meshtool4.zip

Noesis link:
http://www.gamefront.com/files/25513611/noesisv4153.zip

1.First i hope you have MSH viewer.Its a tool that allow you to view msh models.If you dont have it i can upload it.Better search here in the assets section.You might find it.If not i can upload it.Open the model you want and save it somewhere else.It will automatically get and his textures.

2.Extract the Meshtool.Copy the model with the textures inside the Meshtool folder.

3.Open the meshtool program.When the black window appear you will see this on the end:
MSH Filename:
Write your model name there.For example let say its Rep_inf_Clonetrooper
So it will look like this: Rep_inf_Clonetrooper.msh

Pay attention that the model name must contain on the end and .msh  This is very importan.
After that click Enter.Then the program will ask for command.Use this command    import
After that press Enter again and the program will start doing his job.After all the numbers stop moving the converting procces is finished press Q and hit Enter again.Done!Your model is converted into obj.

4.But we are not ready yet.I found out that sometime the obj models that you convert dont have
materials for their textures.So here is coming the help from Noesis.

5.Extract Noesis archive.Open Noesis.Find in the directory the folder location where is your model.
When you click in left menu on the folder in the right menu you will see all the files that this folder contain.Double click on your obj model.You will see it on the screen.But the model don't have textures yet.So click on the upper left menu File/Export.
Another window will popup.Click Browse.Select where you want to save your model and give him a name.Do not replace him with the model from the Meshtool.Give your new obj a new name just in case we mess something.Trust me.
Select the output format to obj.
Then go to the Additional texture output and select .tga
Then go to the Advanced Option and there add this command:

-objmtl

6.Then click export.

Make sure the textures are with the obj in one folder.Open it with your favorite modeling program and see it for yourself.Your model may not have textures again but this time the materials for them will be there.So just drag and place the textures and your model will be ready.

The lowrez model will be inside the high rez and it will look bad.So remove the lowrez to see the original model.

If the textures for the highrez model are messed up open Noesis again.Click on your old obj model from Meshtool.
Do again all the the things.Select output format obj,tga -objmtl command ye ye ye......but this time CHECK THE BOX WHERE IT SAYS: FLIP UV's

Export again and try this time.

Thats all i hope i helped you.This can easy be a tutorial for this site.So if admin find this you can add it like Tutorial in the Tutorial section for BF1/2.   8)

Thank you so much , I'll put into practice right now , I do not have enough knowledge about 3D modeling , but I like to learn , the models I want to make is to give my son , paper models , thanks for the help

I just want to tell you that you will need a some 3d modeling program in order to open the obj files.You know that right? :D