Something About 'Nothing'

Started by Cmd_Smith, June 06, 2015, 08:06:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Something I have notice recently is that lack of modding aid through the community. Although the majority of you people are polite enough to respond to personal messages, I am in a state of disbelief for the many times I have reached out for help and gotten either no response, or a response that more or less entailed 'figure it out.'

While I understand that by the way I type, my posts may be misinterpreted as 'do this for me.' This is however not the case. Most of my posts are asking for instructions on how to do something, or a nudge in the right direction to get me the answer. A lot of my posts I know nothing about, and when I receive an answer that does not help me, or rather no answer at all, there is often nothing I can do but to make a new post with a new idea, or think of something else to do.

I understand that this post may be misinterpreted, but I really hope you will understand I am not throwing punches. More so, I am trying to get help from my peers in this community so that I can give back to you.

Cheers guys,
Commander Smith

Most of us here try to help however we can, but:

A. If we don't have enough information about the problem, we may not know how to solve it.
B. We are only human and don't always have the time to respond. But be patient, as a response may come eventually.
C. If too many requests are posted at the same time, some of them may not be seen.

Don't let this dissuade you from modding. We all started out as you did. Modding is not always an easy thing to learn, as is any form of computer science. My advice for you is:

• Look for a tutorial first. A good chunk of the community's modding knowlege is written down. You can find most of our many tutorials HERE and HERE. That's how most of us learned modding. If you can't find a tutorial for what you're looking to do or are having trouble understanding it, then feel free to ask about it.
  • Tell us everything you know about the problem. As stated above, the more we know about it, the better. Walk us through everything you did before, when and after the problem occurs. Even the tiniest little details may be important.
  • If you can't find any help, see if someone else asked about it. Your answer might be there.
  • If all else fails, do something else for a while until a solution is found for your problem.

Most of the modders here mod Battlefront 1, so that could be why you are not getting much of a response for your Battlefront 2 questions.  Also, I usually find the answers to my questions by searching for keywords related to the problem(s) I am having. 

These topics may help you in the future:
http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=3615.0
http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=8
http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=4449.0

Sorry about your troubles and good luck with your modding.  :cheers:

I would also suggest asking around on Gametoast, there are a lot more Battlefront 2 modders there than there are here. If you are having trouble getting to that site, send an E-Mail to guru@gametoast.com, he'll give you access.

Quote from: Commander Awesome on June 06, 2015, 08:37:37 PM
Most of us here try to help however we can, but:

A. If we don't have enough information about the problem, we may not know how to solve it.
B. We are only human and don't always have the time to respond. But be patient, as a response may come eventually.
C. If too many requests are posted at the same time, some of them may not be seen.

Don't let this dissuade you from modding. We all started out as you did. Modding is not always an easy thing to learn, as is any form of computer science. My advice for you is:

• Look for a tutorial first. A good chunk of the community's modding knowlege is written down. You can find most of our many tutorials HERE and HERE. That's how most of us learned modding. If you can't find a tutorial for what you're looking to do or are having trouble understanding it, then feel free to ask about it.
  • Tell us everything you know about the problem. As stated above, the more we know about it, the better. Walk us through everything you did before, when and after the problem occurs. Even the tiniest little details may be important.
  • If you can't find any help, see if someone else asked about it. Your answer might be there.
  • If all else fails, do something else for a while until a solution is found for your problem.

I think this should be stickied. Well said.
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

June 07, 2015, 01:56:51 AM #5 Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 01:58:58 AM by Viathan
Hi,
As Commander Awesome and the others already mentioned, we all started that way.
But, for example, your recoil post. How do I add recoil?

1. Which weapons have recoil?
2. Look into the .odf files of these weapons
3. Find RECOIL in the odf's  8)
4. Add it to your weapon

This is just an example and I don't want to attack you in any way...
But maybe you can now understand some people here.
This is pure logical thinking and if you immediately ask everything, it is like Commander Awesome said:
"If too many requests are posted at the same time, some of them may not be seen."

And one last thing I would like to add:
Here are many really good modders and they work / discover / debug / etc  everyday on mods that expect much knowledge, time and experience.
So the time to answer such questions is often very limited. ;)

Btw, perfect post Commander Awesome. Should be really stickied   :cheers: