Chance of a Lifetime

Started by Ultimo, October 01, 2014, 07:17:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I've been procrastinating for almost a month now, and my deadline is coming soon, and I haven't done anything yet.

I have the Chance of a Lifetime; A $100,000 Scholarship to the college I want to attend and 1 Year Subscription to the Adobe Cloud.
I have the chance of receiving this through Winning a contest, but it's not going to be easy, of course.

The contest only has 1 simple rule; You must create visual artwork to depict the quote by Paul Rand, "Everything is Design. Everything!" I can use any visual art medium for this contest.
I've been trying to brainstorm ideas during all the time I've been procrastinating, but I couldn't think of anything good at all...

I really need your help, SWBFGamers.
This is the opportunity of a lifetime, and I don't want it to go to waste... Please, help me. Give me ideas! I really need this education to succeed in the career field I want to pursue!

Thank you so very much for any help you can give, you honestly don't know how much it means to me. I am deeply in your debt and I hope I can pay you back one day.
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

Well you like Kung Fu Panda. Do that, if not do Morgan Freeman.
"I would explain it to you but your head might explode."

That has nothing to do with the quote  ???
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

If you are an artist you might find the works of Neil Hague and Alex Grey inspiring.
Thats all I can think of atm, good luck with your scholarship.

October 01, 2014, 10:19:50 PM #4 Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 10:21:42 PM by {PLA} Van STING
Number 1 rule for being an artist: you don't have to go to a school to be an artist.

What medium are you planning on using/ are you best at, or what career field are you going into? (easier to give suggestions with knowing that)

Quote from: {PLA} Van STING on October 01, 2014, 10:19:50 PM
Number 1 rule for being an artist: you don't have to go to a school to be an artist.
But he must create some type of visual artwork to win the scholarship to go to college, whatever for. So it helps if he is an artist or something similar.

This might seem silly, but you may trying using something personal like a 12 year old's view of their first videogame (battlefront, hint hint).

People seem to like personal art a lot (meaning, if you do something battlefront related, don't make it about the map, make it about what you felt like while drawing up something that resembles your experience -- in my case, freedom to roam outside the boundaries even when the "Leaving Battlefield" sign pops up, threatening my liberty..).

Or substitute battlefront for whatever you feel or felt strongly about, and just imagine something based on that.

Good luck on your endeavor!

.Do some research before you juggle with ideas.
.Think about how the quote makes you feel, do you agree with it... etc?
.Break it down into themes, so that you can generate visual imagery in response to it
.Find reference material, or examples of an aesthetic you'd like to use (for example: artists and designers)
.Make initial sketches of ideas etc
.Develop these ideas, using different materials etc
.Do some more development
.Produce the final thing
.Win the competition

Thank you everyone for all the advice so far! I'm still thinking about all of it! :)
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

October 02, 2014, 02:45:39 PM #9 Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 02:47:34 PM by Syyy
Well Paul Rand is an important person in the field of design, so yeah you gotta try to find as much information as you can about this man, his work ( IBM and ABC logos, modern graphic design... ) and his views about design. Maybe you can also investigate the evolution of graphic design ( Bauhaus, Futurism, Art Nouveau... ) so you can learn about tendencies and what is 'design' depending on eras. You can also find some informations about Duchamp's work ( the Fountain, LHOOQ... ). Try to define what is art, what is design, what is technique. I can share my notes from the courses I took last year ( applied arts and design ) if you need more.