Solo: A Star Wars Story Thoughts and Opinions

Started by swgaming1015, May 26, 2018, 06:23:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
So the new Star Wars film is out now and I wanted to see what everyone here thought of it. I thought it was decent. Not a story that really needed to be told but an enjoyable way to spend 2 hours.

Saw it on Thursday and I liked it, it's not one we'll be talking about for years but it was a fun, entertaining film.

I wasn't a fan of 'that character' in the twist but I enjoyed the other references and would watch a sequel or spin off which I assume they're setting up.
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

I quite liked it. It's not as good as Rogue One, but on the other hand I think it trumped TLJ (and I liked TLJ). I'm giving it a personal 7-8/10 (Rogue One was 9/10, TLJ is 7/10, TFA is 7/10).
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)
--Endor: Imperial Base

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1

May 26, 2018, 10:43:38 PM #3 Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 12:19:47 AM by 411Remnant
Honestly I thought it was pretty boring. Woody harlson seemed pretty underutilized. I know its the han solo show but idk, like woody's character is just kinda there & I feel  he was wasted/unmemorable. Chewbacca is ok, got a nice bit of lore for him, lando is ok, Q'ra is ok, han solo is ok....basically a lot of decent not great plot if you would call it that. The han solo actor still hasn't grown on me, I wish they used that other guy that portrayed a younger harrison ford from age of adiline.(Its that guy that did that harrison ford han solo impression on youtube if you know who im talking about).

One thing this movie could have done with out is L7 and her SJW bantha fodder almost every time she was on screen. Like I get it, men is evil, EQUAL RIGHTS, BLAH blah, WOMEN ARE STRONG, why should I take orders from a male mentality. Wow did I feel like that message was shoved right in my ear, thanks L7. And to make her part of the millennium falcon....why would you do this writers? I mean really why was that needed? I cant even...that was basically the bul gallot scene for this movie(That scene in rogue one with the weird hentai squid thingy, something we didn't need.) I personally can't wait until a fan edit of this film comes outs and cuts some of that out. That's not to say I dont like female characters because I found Liea, Padme and ashoka to be pretty well established/respectable women in star wars. I enjoy those characters becuase they dont whine about what they dont have, they go and do their thing and get stuff done.

[spoiler]I will say this. The only thing that was awesome that I liked was you know who showing up at the end. An unexpected surprise but a welcome one :cheer: [/spoiler]

I could give Ron Howard the benefit of the doubt and say that you know what this film switched directors and things were changed, maybe that's why it feels like its everywhere. But then again they kept L7 and recently made a big deal about lando being "pan sexual" outside of the film. Its not apparent in the film, but outside of the film one of the writers of the movie said this about lando's character, like why was this needed information, Why did I need to know that at all?! Does it add anything to lando knowing he wants to bang a robot? that he is attracted to men,women,children,aliens, a toaster? (I looked up pansexual, that's basically what it means...) To me lando was a lady's man but what do I know.

I think a lot of us here already were somewhat familiar with han's origin from the comics and books. Han gets his ship from lando, chewbacca swears a life debt to han, kessel less than 12 pareseccs , point A to point B. Basically this movie is converted from some legends sources done in an UN-interesting way except with sjw agenda on the side, with a rather UN-apealing set of characters and unmemorable villains and one surprise that probably is the only thing remotely interesting about this film. If you liked the film, more power to you and good for you for seeing more good in it than I did.

I am by no means a director, but if I was in some alternate universe , I would have made the kessel run the climax of the film, making the feat more important and focused mostly on Han and chewbacca's relationship  and on how it develops minus woody harrison's character, lando and q'ra getting in the way. This is by no means a horrible film that ruins my childhood and I appreciate the easter eggs here and there. But it could have had a better direction, minus some of the boring stuff, this movie can be very enjoyable at times.
Battfront Stuff if your interested.
http://www.youtube.com/user/411Remnant

I think the 'equal rights' thing was for droids, not women. It's been there from the very beginning of Star Wars ("We don't serve their kind here!") However... I can see where you're coming from, as it was pretty much shoved down our throats. Maybe I'm just immune to SJW stuff. As for Lando being pansexual, was that in the film? Or was that something that was stated outside the film? Because I tend to ignore what's not on screen. To me, it was more like Lando had been with L7 for a long time and was devastated at the loss of a friend. Also, when you think about it, IIRC, didn't C-3PO talk to the Falcon in Empire? He remarked about it having the 'most peculiar dialect', and that had to come from somewhere. So to me, on that level it made sense.

The comment Lando made on mining colonies was ironic though - given he comes to own a Tibanna Gas Mining colony on Bespin later. And the way the film ends makes me wonder if Han next sees Lando in Empire Strikes Back - it would make sense with the fakeout he does there (another neat callback).
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:

May 26, 2018, 11:45:29 PM #5 Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 12:13:23 AM by 411Remnant
The lando thing is outside of the movie and if you were just watching the movie without hearing about the writers point of view, you wouldn't know that and you could enjoy the film just as good. I want to apologize if that seemed like I thought it was apparent in the movie because it isnt, and they seem like friends if anything.

However I did want to bring that up because inst that just such a ridiculous thing for one of the writers  to say about this character when it isn't even apparent in the film? or in any film, or book or comic lando has been in legends or disney canon?

L7 was pretty vocal about a lot of stuff, and maybe from the first viewing it inst fair to say it was just women's right and all that jazz. But it is pretty obvious that her point of view was forced, and I would enjoy her more if it wasn't so much in your face. It could have been a male droid exclaiming about droid rights and it still would have left a sour taste in my mouth. I appreciate the design of the character because I like droids. Do I think droids deserve rights? Heck no....

and im just kidding lol, droids can have whatever rights they want in star wars, but how it was handled with L7 it came off as pretty annoying. She seems pretty well respected by lando and she is even the navigator and co pilot of the millennium falcon, what kind of rights are being taken away from her? I get that the world outside of lando's circle doesn't view droids as people, more like slaves however this character still complains about it either though she is enjoying a lot of that freedom.

Is this film innocent star wars fun? It certainly is, and if you dont want to bother getting some one caught up on star wars lore about Han solo by introducing them to a bunch books your probably going to save a lot of time by showing them this movie which is essentially trimmed existing material.
Battfront Stuff if your interested.
http://www.youtube.com/user/411Remnant

May 26, 2018, 11:48:12 PM #6 Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 02:51:29 PM by Gistech
Yeah... I think they wanted to try and 'one-up' the sass of K2-SO, but it does fall a little flat because K2-SO's sass was natural. It worked without effort, whereas L7's did seem 'forced'. However, one could actually view her as a parody of SJWs as opposed to actually representing one.
In Progress:

On Hold:

May 30, 2018, 02:39:25 PM #7 Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 02:50:38 PM by Gistech
I've seen the movie and I must say that it hasn't seemed as bad as some criticisms indicated. In general, I thought it was an entertaining film, with plenty of action scenes from the beginning to the end (I want to highlight the Kessel run scene, I thought it was spectacular). As for more specific details, it is true that Alden Ehrenreich differs from the original Han Solo but at least makes an effort to look like, and the same with characters like Chewie or Lando (although the first has the excuse of going disguised, of course). Beckett has seemed like a funny character despite not liking the fact that Han killed him. And Qi'ra... Maybe I thought it was a leftover character because of the fact that Han's only true love ends up being Leia, but I suppose the screenwriters wanted to give a little role with this girl throughout the movie as someone 'not to trust' as Beckett warns Solo. With the rest of the characters I haven't had any problems, although maybe the role of L7 sounds a bit 'vindictive' (or that's what I think :D).

[spoiler]Oh yes, the appearance of Darth Maul has left me surprised! The best part is that he not only appears in the film, it leaves a clue that we could see him again in the future spin-off of Obi-Wan Kenobi. Who knows... ;)[/spoiler]

Definetly, I liked it and I think that most fans may like it (if you're not very keen on the original Han).

What I liked the most: The action scenes, including coaxium cargo theft and Kessel run.
What I liked the least: The fact that I finished watching the movie with the feeling of wanting to see something else, especially from Han Solo's at the end.
AR Clan Discord: https://discord.gg/gmmSm5e | Star Wars: Battlefront - 20th Anniversary (2004-2024)

Saw it weekend of release; it was a lot better than I thought it was going to be.
Nothing in it profoundly annoyed me, and I found myself grinning during some scenes.

. L337 was fine.
. Alden Ehrenreich did really well to play the character of Han besides a simple impersonation, he had the right kind of charm factor.
. Kira was better than I thought she'd be.
. [spoiler]Maul[/spoiler] was fine but maybe a bit ham-fisted.
. Chewie was great
. Thandie Newton was underused

The first 20 minutes or so could have been streamlined, opening with an inconsequential chase scene was odd. But I don't make films so whatever.

I hope they get a chance at a sequel regardless of how much money it made.

I think I enjoyed it more than RO for having better characterisation, i.e more fleshed out and interesting.
RO's most redeeming feature is probably the last 30 minutes, which is an odd symmetry to how SOLO gets better after the half way mark... And ANH to some extent!

Maybe it's just that a lot of Star Wars films have issues with the first act.