GameRanger Update for SWBF

Started by Led, June 08, 2014, 11:18:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Scott Kevill from GameRanger has joined our website (GR ID = 1) .

We have had some communications--GR now supports the dedicated server software in internet mode.  At this time, it appears that it only supports one instance of the server software per room.

I have put up a server.  It seems to work well.  Players are able to join and it shows their real IP address instead of a LAN address.

The way you join is to find the SWBF room, then join it. It takes you through to the SWBF internet option automatically.

The way to host is to change the location of the exe file from battlefront.exe in the game folder to battlefront server.exe in the server folder.  Launch, then use the GUI as usual.

Give it a try and let me know what you think.  Scott has been very helpful and I think would take our comments into consideration.

Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

I'm not sure I understand-- Are you saying that we can now use GR to play in Internet mode instead of LAN? Or is this only about running servers through GR to be used in Internet?
I'm confused... And a one-time user of GR (Sorry, Mr. Kevill...), so you might be able to understand my confusion.
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

Internet and LAN servers can be hosted through GR now.

It is fairly transparent to the player.  Just get in the room and join, and the rest is taken care of for you.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

I see. Thanks Led!
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

GameRanger used to host/join LAN servers for SWBF1.

Now it hosts Internet servers instead. These can either be host&play servers or dedicated servers (managed with the dedicated server app). This mean joining now happens directly via the command-line and is extremely fast. The GameSpy parts are emulated as well and are not just faster, but instantaneous.

You do not need to do port-forwarding to host a dedicated server with GameRanger.