Disney Buys Lucas Film, Episode 7 in 2015.

Started by Unit 33, October 30, 2012, 01:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: {PLA}gdh92 on October 31, 2012, 08:15:36 AM
Wasn't there originally going to be 9 or 12 films? Although recently George Lucas has said;
"I've left pretty explicit instructions for there not to be any more features. There will definitely be no Episodes VII–IX. That's because there isn't any story. I mean, I never thought of anything. And now there have been novels about the events after Episode VI, which isn't at all what I would have done with it. The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story. Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned and Luke doesn't get married..."

My understanding was he always had in mind a trilogy of trilogies (9) movies.  The middle first, the beginning second, and then the last, last.   Of course, I think that George has said different things and different times, and it has also been conflicting.  That's been part of the criticism of him.

As a person that saw the original movie in a theater, we had no idea that there were to be any more movies after what has now become known as episode IV.  To say that movie was about Vader would invoke some strong arguments.  I think the 6 movies only became about the rise and fall of Vader since it was convenient so say so. 

Any, what it really means is that this thing will be a media juggernaut propelling itself forward for the next century or two.  Death star roller coasters, Queen Amadala disney princess dolls, ... it will keep coming!

Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

ATTENTION!!!
If you guys haven't picked up on me being a MASSIVE Star Wars nerd then lemme tell you now. I am one. When it comes to Star Wars and how it was made, the story, etc. I know almost all of it.
So when I say that Star Wars IS the story of the rise and fall of Anakin Skywalker I mean just that. I have read MULTIPLE quotes of George saying that. The movies are ultimately the fight between good and evil. If George wanted to make more feature films he would have. Not pass it on for another studio to do. No there wasn't meant to be 9 films. Only 6, George had the story all in his head before he made the movies! All 1-6. Not 1-19.

I find it utterly impossible to believe that lucas or anyone had the plot (if it can be called that) for Episode 1 in his mind while making the original trilogy. It's like imagining a square circle, I just cannot make my brain do that.

It is easy to poorly execute a plot you have in your mind. Have you ever tried writing?

Anyway I am not sure why Episode 1 gets hated so much. I thought it was pretty good last time I watched it. But then again that was years ago my memory my not be serving me well.

Quote from: Kit Fisto on October 31, 2012, 03:48:16 PM
George had the story all in his head before he made the movies! All 1-6. Not 1-19.
Hmm... Only 6 Episodes in Geoge head?... So, from whose head come 2 tv series with Ewoks? I didn't spot Anakin there, but the story still go on...
Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf:

I believe the prequels (being an afterthought) were well intentioned and the big plot points were ok.
The delivery was questionable. Could have been bad actors or bad scene diriction.. any combination of any number of things that go into ruining a story.
But that's just my opinion.

Disney won't change this.

I was initially sickened by the idea of their tradmark Disney-fication of Star Wars, but .. I don't believe that will happen.  Lucasfilm is still Lucasfilm and is operating pretty much the same as they always have, just with a little less Lucas.  Disney just got in on the action and Lucas got a nice check.  I think they would be insane to interfere with the cash generating giant Lucasfilm has become.

And that's all the little mouse (and his shareholders) wants, is to get paid.

Now if this were ElectronicArts aquiring LucasArts... there would be riots....
No one can screw up a good thing like those guys.  It's like they took lessons in how to make things bad.

I read somewhere that EP7 was going to basicly be the further adventures of Luke and a focus on the rebuilding of the Republic.  I also heard that they were not going to stick to eu canon.

For me, it would be great if they abandoned canon altogether.  It would establish that multiple timelines and story concepts were ok. That everything isn't carved in stone.  It would free the fan's imagination again like the first movie did.  Sticking to hardline canon just become a tedious history lesson after a while.

Fun Fact: The supposedly bad actors in SW have been seen by my family in other films being good actors apparently. So if it isn't the actors that are at fault the logical conclusion is the director.

Quote from: Kit Fisto on October 31, 2012, 03:48:16 PM
ATTENTION!!!
If you guys haven't picked up on me being a MASSIVE Star Wars nerd then lemme tell you now. I am one. When it comes to Star Wars and how it was made, the story, etc. I know almost all of it.
So when I say that Star Wars IS the story of the rise and fall of Anakin Skywalker I mean just that. I have read MULTIPLE quotes of George saying that. The movies are ultimately the fight between good and evil. If George wanted to make more feature films he would have. Not pass it on for another studio to do. No there wasn't meant to be 9 films. Only 6, George had the story all in his head before he made the movies! All 1-6. Not 1-19.

Sorry to burst your bubble kit, 9 movies was his idea in 1978/79.  I lived it.  Like I said, George changes what he says to suit him--and you are buying into one version.  I have no doubt that you could find anything to support a particular stance on the issue.  In 1977, the idea that he would even make a sequel (empire strikes back) was extremely novel.  These days, trilogies are the norm--but not back then.

And I think he did have some ideas for carrying the moving to a prequel status from the beginning.  Not the plot, mind you, but some of the things he did, such as having some of the characters be masked, such as vader and the emperor so that there were not tied to any particular actor.

The cartoons were addon material (some may say crap) that he threw together later to extend the franchise in a format that was not as difficult to deal with as real actors and special effects.  So whatever number of movies you think that he wanted to have, he has already gone past that if you include them.  These could live on with a release every few years, like the James Bond franchise.

Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Darn buckler James Bond and Starwars Wow your old :P .But your right 9 was the plan.I think it would be cool if they made a movie based on Force Unleashed.But any new star wars movies will be nice.
I'm not multi-clanning I just have lots of affiliates.

Quote from: JohnisofLU on November 02, 2012, 10:17:19 AM
I think it would be cool if they made a movie based on Force Unleashed.But any new star wars movies will be nice.
Please no. The story of that game was so bad it made my brain do back-flips.
Also pulling Star Destroyers out of orbit is the most ridiculous thing ever.

Quote from: regent on November 02, 2012, 01:28:18 PM
Also pulling Star Destroyers out of orbit is the most ridiculous thing ever.
You forget, about unlimited power of the force. ;)
I just remember, long times ago, I saw some tv interview, with Mark Hamill, and he say: new Star Wars series and continue of the story, is very possible...
Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf:

Quote from: Sereja on November 02, 2012, 01:52:50 PM
You forget, about unlimited power of the force. ;)
I just remember, long times ago, I saw some tv interview, with Mark Hamill, and he say: new Star Wars series and continue of the story, is very possible...

"The unlimited power of x..." is strictly off-limits in any decent storyline.

Quote from: Joseph on November 02, 2012, 03:13:17 PM
"The unlimited power of x..." is strictly off-limits in any decent storyline.
Yes it's technical name is a "Deus ex machina" (not related to the video game of a similar name).

Essentially... when a character is confronted with an obstacle and the writer can't think of a poignant/clever solution to it they use a Deus ex machina, which is a sudden unexpected event/character/whatever which solves the problem. You see them a lot in action movies and they're usually annoying (Bad guy about to kill the good guy suddenly gets hit by a car or something).

In The Force Unleashed it would be Starkiller suddenly being able to drag a colossal spaceship out of orbit despite previously showing no promise to have such amazing powers,
it doesn't make sense in the story, it's just convenient for the writer.

"Your all clear, kid! Now let's blow this thing and go home!"