converting swbf3 models

Started by NB20026, December 11, 2016, 03:22:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
How I can convert files from swbf3 in .obj they have white textures please explain me how I must do thic please  :confused:

You need to convert the textures in .tga format.Photoshop or Gimp can do that.However you need XSI 7.5 and the ZETOOLS plugin to export the obj into msh file.

What settings are required for the .tga? I'm using gimp, and no textures show up when I import them into XSI, just the materials.

Here are my questions:

Do you know how to create 3d models?
Did you apply the texture tga to the model?
Before import to XSI did you put your model with the tga textures in one folder?

better check my tutorials on Youtube:

I am working with Wings 3d for creating my models,then Gimp for the textures and finally XSI 7.5 Demo+ZETOOLS to convert my model to msh.

also make sure RLE compression is OFF
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

December 19, 2016, 04:44:00 PM #5 Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 05:40:22 PM by tab328
Quote from: Led on December 19, 2016, 03:12:10 PM
also make sure RLE compression is OFF

AHA! THAT'S what I had forgotten! :slap: I'll have to see if that was my only problem.

Quote from: Ginev on December 19, 2016, 03:02:45 PM
Here are my questions:

Do you know how to create 3d models?
Did you apply the texture tga to the model?
Before import to XSI did you put your model with the tga textures in one folder?

better check my tutorials on Youtube:

I am working with Wings 3d for creating my models,then Gimp for the textures and finally XSI 7.5 Demo+ZETOOLS to convert my model to msh.

I exported a simple obj from blender, all faces triangulated, and no duplicate vertices. The model is uv-mapped. My only concern is that it's generating a separate .mtl file; something I did not see present in your tutorials when exported from Wings3D. However XSI IS importing the material, so I would assume the issue is with my texture.tga. In XSI I have texture decal set instead of wireframe. I have kept everything on my desktop for quick testing, so that may also be an issue. I'll try making it its own folder. I am using Blender for modelling, since that's what I'm more familiar with.

EDIT: After some research (and disabling RLE and giving it its own folder) I found that blender's cycles engine has issues exporting the textures with the models. That seemed to be my main issue. Either way, I got textures working.  :cheer:

Thanks all! :cheers: Now to figure out how to export an .msh as an .obj.

This is how i am doing it since im using XSI7.5 and i cannot save as obj (locked)

Import your model into Meshtool (You can find it in gametoast in the Released Assets,i dont know if its released here.)
Follow the Meshtool instructions.There is explained how to convert the model from MSH to OBJ.
When you do that your model will not have a UV coordinates for the textures.I mean your obj file wont have a mtl file which contain the UV coordinates.So i am importing my model into Noesis (If you dont have i get it its a small program for viewing textures and models.VERY USEFULL!)When you open Noesis just double click on the obj you just did with meshtool.The model probably will look white,black or maybe you wont see it at all.Ignore that since the model dont have texture UV even if you put the texture for it in the same folder.So when you select your obj in Noesis simply click File/Export i believe it was and mark with Check the FLIP UVs option and also in the.
Main output file put on obj

The other 2 lines for the texture put on tga,animation on default and the last line is
Advanced Options:
put there this code:

-objmtl

Choose where to save your model and click export.So when you open in blender or any other 3d modeling program your new obj file it will have this time and mtl file next to him so you should have a new material.Just apply the texture for the model and you are done.I hope i helped.I just dont know if this method will work for model with more than 1 textures.

If someone know other methods please tell me.

Thanks for all the help Ginev!  :tu:

I should mention: whilst poking around SWBFviewer, I found its export as .wrl function, which (after more poking found) Blender can import this format with uv maps and applied textures (only in blender internal though, a tad more effort for cycles).