Laptop overheat from SWBF2

Started by Gold Man, February 23, 2013, 05:21:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
March 08, 2013, 07:13:14 AM #15 Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 07:18:43 AM by Agent Z
This isn't really a solution to your problem, but I have a way for you to (maybe) prolong the time your laptop can run before overheating.

I may sound like your parent here, but I would seriously consider taking breaks every other game or two.  I noticed that the reason my laptop overheated all the time was because when I play SWBF, most of my hand is on the laptop surface.  I'm no computer expert, but I've noticed from experience that when your hand is on the laptop for a long amount of time it seems to make your laptop heat-up in that specific area of your computer.

So, try taking a 10-15 minute break from the computer every 45 minutes or so.  It's also a lot better for your eyes when they aren't constantly staring at a computer screen. ;)

Good luck, btw. :)

Quote from: Agent Z on March 08, 2013, 07:13:14 AM
This isn't really a solution to your problem, but I have a way for you to (maybe) prolong the time your laptop can run before overheating.

I may sound like your parent here, but I would seriously consider taking breaks every other game or two.  I noticed that the reason my laptop overheated all the time was because when I play SWBF, most of my hand is on the laptop surface.  I'm no computer expert, but I've noticed from experience that when your hand is on the laptop for a long amount of time it seems to make your laptop heat-up in that specific area of your computer.

So, try taking a 10-15 minute break from the computer every 45 minutes or so.  It's also a lot better for your eyes when they aren't constantly staring at a computer screen. ;)

Good luck, btw. :)

I've done the little break from the game every few mins, though just cause my hand is on the laptop alot, doesn't mean it overheats that fast. I've noticed that happens after 10-20 mins from playing. It feels warm, but it's extremely hot when it overheats. I wouldn't even know how hot it gets at overheat.

Quote from: {Alpha}Gold Man on March 06, 2013, 07:01:15 PM
On the website, yes. I'm guessing since it's processing a game while using wifi would be an issue that would cause that.

I also tried decreasing the video settings (like literally, I had them super low). It works alright I guess, but after 2-3 hours it just overheats and quits.

Also, we got the thing on a low price (we bought it as it was a later model, hence the 2 year gap between the model itself and me playing on it).  As far as a laptop though, any ideas for a good one? I'm not exactly a guy with tons of money to spend (we paid $500 CDN for this one), but just some laptop in the range of $200-$500 would be nice. Also, I like my laptops compact (it's a 13-inch we have).

2-3 hours sounds better than 1-2 :)

You could try messing around with SpeedFan. I don't know if it works on laptops but it works great on desktops. You can configure the fans to go on full blast, hopefully allowing games to run for a little bit longer. If SpeedFan doesn't work, see if the bios has an option to control the CPU Fan.

I find it unusual for a 2009 laptop to be overheating over low-end games such as SWBF... with a cooling pad. You may potentially have a faulty unit. Or maybe it's an AMD thing. :P

#TYBG

Quote from: aeria. on March 08, 2013, 03:42:50 PM
2-3 hours sounds better than 1-2 :)

You could try messing around with SpeedFan. I don't know if it works on laptops but it works great on desktops. You can configure the fans to go on full blast, hopefully allowing games to run for a little bit longer. If SpeedFan doesn't work, see if the bios has an option to control the CPU Fan.

I find it unusual for a 2009 laptop to be overheating over low-end games such as SWBF... with a cooling pad. You may potentially have a faulty unit. Or maybe it's an AMD thing. :P

As far as I know, there's no way to control the fans, they do it themselves. When it overheats, you can feel the fans working under your palms, as well as hear the high-pitch screaming.

I'm going to say it would be a faulty unit, as I've heard HP makes terrible laptops. Wish I'd known that beforehand...  :td:

It might be the AMD though, I'm unsure on that. I've played MC Classic over the internet (via site), and I'd think the graphics on MC would be lower than SWBF2 by a longshot. Then again, I'd have no idea.

My bets are: it's either a faulty 5-yr old laptop from HP, or the AMD on this thing is goin'.

OR

Would dust in the cooling pad be possible for overheat? I know I once cleaned the dust off the thing, and it ran longer infact, nearly 4 hours. Haven't cleaned it since the summertime I believe.

(Sorry, somewhat off-topic question) If you have more mods installed in your SWBF (or SWBF2) directory would it cause your computer to 'work harder' and possibly overheat and/or lag the game?  I have soooo many random files in my game that the .exe doesn't even read. I just keep them there because I'm too lazy to put them anywhere else. I have at least a couple dozen random side.lvl files in my SIDE directory that the game doesn't need. Would that cause any trouble for your PC and/or the game itself?

Quote from: Agent Z on March 08, 2013, 09:08:25 PM
(Sorry, somewhat off-topic question) If you have more mods installed in your SWBF (or SWBF2) directory would it cause your computer to 'work harder' and possibly overheat and/or lag the game?  I have soooo many random files in my game that the .exe doesn't even read. I just keep them there because I'm too lazy to put them anywhere else. I have at least a couple dozen random side.lvl files in my SIDE directory that the game doesn't need. Would that cause any trouble for your PC and/or the game itself?

I don't know, as far as I'm concerned most of the mods I have are on SWBF1. I have like maybe 5 modmaps on SWBF2, and that's it. The rest is a series of about 25 modmaps for SWBF1, and 3 skins for the game, that's all there is. I have like a whole file of modmaps outside the game, but I don't see how a ton of modmap files in SWBF1 or skin mods on SWBF1 would have anything to do with overheat when I play SWBF2.

Quote from: Agent Z on March 08, 2013, 09:08:25 PM
I don't know if anyone else already answered this, I'm too lazy to flip through all of the posts...
But if the exe doesn't read them, and they aren't being used by any other processes of your computer, the only thing they do to your computer is take up space, the computer doesn't read all the files on your computer at once, only those that it needs to operate a specific program that you choose to open.
No, having mods in your directory, as long as it's not being use in-game, takes no processors to read it, not heating the computer up.