Mission.lvl mod through addon? [Solved]

Started by Rayce, March 05, 2014, 10:48:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
March 05, 2014, 10:48:33 AM Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 05:35:52 PM by CommanderAwesome
I was wondering if it's possible to make a Mission.lvl mod though an addon folder. This would greatly improve how I organize the mods I have installed. (Specifically, I can have one AddOn folder with the main play mod (or other side mod) and the maps I normally play, and one with Sereja's maps (since they crash if the stock sides are changed)). If so, how would I accomplish this?

I'm fairly sure there's a tutorial somewhere that implements addon script and a mission file.  I will look for it...
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

Yes, it should be possible--but let's clarify what you mean--mission.lvl for a single map, or mission.lvl for multiple maps?
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

March 05, 2014, 02:59:29 PM #3 Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 03:11:00 PM by CommanderAwesome
Overriding stock missions. So I can have a sides mod active without it conflicting with other maps I have installed (like Ginev's Tatooine or any of Sereja's maps) without increasing my addon mission count.

Quote from: CommanderAwesome on March 05, 2014, 02:59:29 PM
Overriding stock missions. So I can have a sides mod active without it conflicting with other maps I have installed (like Ginev's Tatooine or any of Sereja's maps) without increasing my addon mission count.

I have done that, but my method would only work for multiplayer with a hosted server with both player and server having the same mission.

If you take each one through addon it will count toward the maximum map count.

SK might have some suggestions though.

Hmm... yes, I would prefer an SP option. A bit disappointing about the mission count thing, though.

There is the "new era" LUA code that some people have been working on, but I do not know how that turned out.

It seems to work, Dark Phantom was able to make a fully functional era mod HERE. I tried it out and the only issue is it seems you can't play it back-to-back, though that might also be caused by the randomizer script (The second team is randomly selected).

Well, actually it isn't the randomizer.  The randomizer disabled is giving me the same problem.  I'm going to mess around with a different method and see if I can't fix it.  The method used in Mando Wars is still under construction but the simpler method is making a new mission.lvl (with all stock missions and the new missions you want) and a shell configured with a third era.  I think that this will be less tedious and work better, and I could write a tutorial and an example Shell.  Addon maps may not work with the working method though.

'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

March 07, 2014, 04:31:58 AM #9 Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 04:34:10 AM by Phobos
You will either have to use seperate addon folders (renamed), or stockify the mod maps (build them into the shell instead of using addon). the other option is to play 1.3 which has a much higher limit about 500 mod maps. but this requires the cd to play and doesnt work online. At the very least to do what you're asking requires modding new mission LUA scripts to call on the custom sides and specified worlds. Modding in the shell LUA is more work but the script you would need to alter for adding new stock missions that dont interfere with addon is missionlist.LUA. If you were using just one or two sides for a bunch of maps it could be set up as a new era but that requires modding additional shell scripts.

Quote from: Dark_Phantom on March 06, 2014, 03:23:06 PM
Well, actually it isn't the randomizer.  The randomizer disabled is giving me the same problem.  I'm going to mess around with a different method and see if I can't fix it.  The method used in Mando Wars is still under construction but the simpler method is making a new mission.lvl (with all stock missions and the new missions you want) and a shell configured with a third era.  I think that this will be less tedious and work better, and I could write a tutorial and an example Shell.  Addon maps may not work with the working method though.
I tried something: I made the side mod (main play mod 6) into separate eras (using the tutorial you and Phobos made erlier) and then put the relevant  side files into a different folder (Gamedata\Data\lvl_PC\MPM6) and made sure the mission scripts called for them. And renamed the modified world files (bes3, nab3, etc.). The era buttons show up but it crashes. I have determined that the sides aren't the problem, as the mission.lvl also modifies the stock campaign missions, and they work. So I must have screwed something up in the other files (which I have attached below).
Quote from: Phobos on March 07, 2014, 04:31:58 AM
You will either have to use seperate addon folders (renamed),
Already do that, I have that many maps.
Quote from: Phobos on March 07, 2014, 04:31:58 AMor stockify the mod maps (build them into the shell instead of using addon).
On that thought, I might end up doing it in the style of the BF1.5 mod.
Quote from: Phobos on March 07, 2014, 04:31:58 AMthe other option is to play 1.3 which has a much higher limit about 500 mod maps. but this requires the cd to play and doesnt work online.
I use the Best of PC DVD.
Quote from: Phobos on March 07, 2014, 04:31:58 AMAt the very least to do what you're asking requires modding new mission LUA scripts to call on the custom sides and specified worlds. Modding in the shell LUA is more work but the script you would need to alter for adding new stock missions that dont interfere with addon is missionlist.LUA. If you were using just one or two sides for a bunch of maps it could be set up as a new era but that requires modding additional shell scripts.
I'd be ok with editing some extra scripts, as I have plans on making some era mods of my own.

At the moment, I notice your "ifs_sp_era" references are not equivalent to the missions you are calling on.

Example:
Code (lua) Select

--ifs_sp_era
{ tag = "mpmc", string = "MPM CLONE WARS", },

Your game is going to look for "BES2mpmc" instead of your reference of BES2g or BES2l.  Change one of your references to equal the other and it should hopefully work.

Quote from: Dark_Phantom on March 07, 2014, 07:51:43 PM
At the moment, I notice your "ifs_sp_era" references are not equivalent to the missions you are calling on.

Example:
Code (lua) Select

--ifs_sp_era
{ tag = "mpmc", string = "MPM CLONE WARS", },

Your game is going to look for "BES2mpmc" instead of your reference of BES2g or BES2l.  Change one of your references to equal the other and it should hopefully work.
It works now, thanks!