SWBF ONLINE REVIVAL?!

Started by Ultimo, November 24, 2012, 08:19:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
December 09, 2013, 02:28:58 PM #30 Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 02:30:56 PM by The Black King
Yes. because TCF

Anyways, I will be looking for this code soon.
I will find it...
swap out a few things...
see about a new master...
then test it out.
THEN... seeing if I can do it as a mod-file, instead of having everyone look for the code.
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

December 09, 2013, 02:40:25 PM #31 Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 02:43:43 PM by {TCE}Call-of-Raindeer
Yea they are there now talking bout how good Tunngle is, which isn't that off topic but they need to get back on topic about the GameSpy stuff

EDIT: ok King just do whatever you said :tu: (emotional support)
"I would explain it to you but your head might explode."

Quote from: The Black King on December 09, 2013, 02:28:58 PM
Yes. because TCF

Anyways, I will be looking for this code soon.
I will find it...
swap out a few things...
see about a new master...
then test it out.
THEN... seeing if I can do it as a mod-file, instead of having everyone look for the code.

You can look at the issues we have had with OpenSpy by doing a forum search.   It is not documented.  It needs a MySQL database that contains unknown tables.

Many have said "Let's make our own Master Server!"  but from what I can tell, only Sleepkiller has a shot.

Unless you really really know what you are doing, I suggest you spend your time doing something more worthwhile.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

I've always wanted to learn some code, and I didn't get programming this year at my school, so now I have something that gives me a chance to atleast learn.
I don't know exactly what I'm doing, but I'm going to try do.

God, may the force be with me.
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

December 09, 2013, 07:23:58 PM #34 Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 07:40:44 PM by {Alpha}Gold Claus
Quote from: Buckler on December 09, 2013, 05:58:06 PM
You can look at the issues we have had with OpenSpy by doing a forum search.   It is not documented.  It needs a MySQL database that contains unknown tables.

Many have said "Let's make our own Master Server!"  but from what I can tell, only Sleepkiller has a shot.

Unless you really really know what you are doing, I suggest you spend your time doing something more worthwhile.

Actually, would MySQL Databases be found in Visual Studio 2010? If so, I might download that or Visual Studio 2013 and see if I could work on it. I've toyed very little with SQL Databases in Visual Basic, but I am very interested into it, so if possible, I might see if I could be of some assistance.

And even if I'm not, it would be a good learning experience for me and my studies.:)

No shame in getting familiar with SQL. Database managers will always be needed anywhere humans are using computers. Be warned, it's a bit of a beast and at the points where it isn't boring, it's explicitly boring. I avoid it, but I'm also lazy like that.
[spoiler]Boring story... I was once commissioned to make a membership database for a local art gallery. Being a not for profit, I felt there would be some inexpensive but ready made solution... well I found a 'cheap' one for $10,000... Ok... SQL then, I can get that for free... Way over my head. Oh my god, it was embarrassing how out of my depth I was. So I started a small MS Access DB for them. It had half of the functionality of the mailing system their secretary hacked together using an old IBM word processor. I don't know what they ended up with. They couldn't have stuck with my little tool... it was awful. I went back to fixing spreadsheets for plant managers through a temp agency.[/spoiler]

There are may different distributions of SQL and I believe Visual Studio comes with a Microsoft SQL Server that is version matched for VS.  SK might know more about what flavor of SQL OpenSpy requires. I'm sure there is a lot of context similarity across the different brands, but if it has a preference, then you will need to mind it.

Well, this is great... I'm grounded from my PC for a bit, and depending on my mood when I get back (I'm actually mildly bipolar), I do't know if I'll be willing to put in the work, but I hope I will...
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

I've been avoiding weighing in properly in this thread due to the fact I don't have much nice to say.

So then, The Black King it's very clear you don't understand the problem properly. This is the first indication that solving it may not be your task. The code with in SWBF isn't the problem and even if it was assembly is a pain to read. If you want to learn programming I encourage you to; but assembly is not a good place to start. Check out this site if you're keen on learning programming http://www.greenfoot.org/.

I don't want to completely discourage you from trying to make a new master server. Anything is possible if you keep your mind focused and stick to it. But your time would probably be best spent following your dreams. (And I find it very unlikely that making a new master server for SWBF is your life goal.)

Quote from: {Alpha}Gold Claus on December 09, 2013, 07:23:58 PM
Actually, would MySQL Databases be found in Visual Studio 2010? If so, I might download that or Visual Studio 2013 and see if I could work on it. I've toyed very little with SQL Databases in Visual Basic, but I am very interested into it, so if possible, I might see if I could be of some assistance.

And even if I'm not, it would be a good learning experience for me and my studies.:)
The problems with Openspy are far deeper than just the database. I got the database to a state that it became, "It works now kind of. It can be improved later." Openspy just doesn't like SWBF and who knows why. Fixing it would be too much of a hassle imo. I am currently chasing down a different route which I will talk more of when I have something to show.

December 10, 2013, 12:53:11 AM #38 Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 12:55:31 AM by Buckler
The problem is not learning SQL, it is determining what goes in the tables.

An analogy is trying to learn how to build a car from a giant box of stuff.  But not just any car, it has to be the exact perfect car--but you don't know what car.  Oh, and before you start, you have to tell me what parts go in the box for that exact model of car that you don't know.  (i.e. tell me what goes in the database tables or else it will never work).

What you have going for you--well, you know it's a car (SWBF), and you can read a book to learn how to use a wrench (SQL)

Now perhaps you can grasp the magnitude of the situation.  Just to get to that understanding took several weeks of SKs efforts plus his Linux and SQL skills.

edit:  plus the other issues SK mentioned as I was typing!
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Ah, ok. I think now we all understand what the difficulty is here. So it's not so much the SQL, as it is that just plain OpenSpy is having a hard time working with SWBF. Well, I'd figure I would chuck my two cents into this, but seeing as how the stuff that SK has gone through requires more knowledge than I currently know and that everything in general is far above my head, I guess learning SQL isn't entirely needed here. However, I will still try and learn it, who knows, it might give me a good job someday. :)

Can someone dumb this all down to where a 5yr old with down syndrome can understand

Quote from: {TCE}Call-of-Raindeer on December 10, 2013, 01:13:16 PM
Can someone dumb this all down to where a 5yr old with down syndrome can understand
-You can't do it, it's too big for you.
That better?

Fine you can make it a bit more smaterness, but not much

Quote from: {TCE}Call-of-Raindeer on December 10, 2013, 01:13:16 PM

That's kinda the point of it all though.
There is a lot of general programming/reverse engineering knowledge needed to get this thing up and going.
No one has even gotten down and dirty with hard facts or code, so the descriptions above are the layman's terms. To dumb it down further would be to just grunt keywords. "Code not work. Code use unknowns. Need unknowns, make code work."

Quote from: tirpider on December 10, 2013, 03:10:34 PM"Code not work. Code use unknowns. Need unknowns, make code work."
This gave me a chuckle. I'm going to quote it next time a topic like this pops up.