SWBF ONLINE REVIVAL?!

Started by Ultimo, November 24, 2012, 08:19:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
December 08, 2013, 07:17:34 PM #15 Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 07:20:53 PM by -ChristmasCommando-
Quote from: The Black King on December 08, 2013, 07:08:33 PM
Ok now I feel dumb lol. You know I don't mod.
It's alright, we can't all be scientific nerd/geeks :shrug:
I just wish I excelled in sports..

edit- I now realise what you were talking about, but that is outside the applications working directory (GameData/ , Battlefront doesn't do anything outside of it, besides registry files/*.reg and your internet and firewall), so it wouldn't matter even if it did somehow work.

So might our culprit connection to Gamespy be a little program inside the battlefront application inside the Gamedata folder?

That's my final guess. :/
I'm just curious now
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

The code is just integrated into SWBF. It isn't a program with in it, it is part of it.

Sorry, that's what I meant, just had one of those derp moments.
But, like all codes, they can be changed, removed.
Man, I gotta figure this out myself.
I'm doing too much asking, and not enough doing.
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

Out of curiosity, what's wrong with Tunngle? I haven't played SWBF in too long so I wouldn't know.

As far as I'm aware, Tunngle's still the easiest way to play this game online. Making a new master server means patching everyone's game and splitting up the already tiny swbf1 community even more.

#TYBG

Quote from: aeria. on December 08, 2013, 08:40:33 PM
Out of curiosity, what's wrong with Tunngle? I haven't played SWBF in too long so I wouldn't know.

As far as I'm aware, Tunngle's still the easiest way to play this game online. Making a new master server means patching everyone's game and splitting up the already tiny swbf1 community even more.
Personally I've never really got it. But here is what I gather to be people
s reasons.

Tunggle is finicky and not very user friendly at times. - This is sadly true.

Some people don't want to use Tunngle for some unknown reason or have friends that don't want to. Yet they say they would be willing to play again if there was another solution. - If this is true, it could potentially offset the loss of players from Tunngle. Although hard to say if it is.

December 08, 2013, 09:07:51 PM #21 Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 09:12:00 PM by -ChristmasCommando-

Not sure why, but I would like things to be the way the used to as well.. Very strange.
--
Also, to understand this kind of stuff, you have to dabble into it a bit first..(Which means you might as well not even try unless you desire to use it in the future, possibly even for a job or education), the code to battlefront executable is compiled, which means that you can't just de-compile and edit it (You could, if you were a very intelligent and I dare say desperate hacker.. Even then you'd run into snags.) that way you wish to, or else people would have done it a VERY VERY long time ago.
edit- The way the executable was edited to accommodate for the new server, was via hex editing (hacking, basically), and it's not a very efficient or easy way to do things. You can't add new things to it, or make great changes that would ultimately give it something that it didn't have before, and rarely can you fix a broken compatibility with that method, but you can change references (sometimes, depends on encryption) and null things out. So in the EXE we just changed gamespy reference to openspy and used openspy as our host from there, and then they went down..

"If you can think of it, somebody has already done it."

Quote from: -ChristmasCommando- on December 08, 2013, 09:07:51 PM
"If you can think of it, somebody has already done it."
This quote annoys me my dear fellow. I would request you to go and think about it carefully then come back. Then I would request that you don't quote it again good sir.

December 08, 2013, 09:20:40 PM #23 Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 09:23:06 PM by {TcF}Dr.Penguin

About half of people out there can't get it to work on their computer. Finding an easier way to connect would probably grow SWBF's tiny community in my opinion.

Also, speaking of open spy, does any one know what happened to that? It was really easy to use and mimicked game spy perfectly, shouldn't we try to get something like that back up?

Quote from: SleepGiver on December 08, 2013, 09:13:18 PM
This quote annoys me my dear fellow. I would request you to go and think about it carefully then come back. Then I would request that you don't quote it again good sir.
Sorry mate, I wasn't the first bloke that said it. If it irritates you greatly, then I will refrain from using such dastardly quotations.
Quote from: {TcF}Dr.Penguin on December 08, 2013, 09:20:40 PM
About half of people out there can't get it to work on their computer.
So, you and Latro are "Half the people out there" :P ?

It isn't the most user friendly program in the world, that is for sure.

Quote from: -ChristmasCommando- on December 08, 2013, 09:26:21 PM
So, you and Latro are "Half the people out there" :P ?

It isn't the most user friendly program in the world, that is for sure.

Tunngle works on my computer, not really sure what to make of this post? You're very secluded if you can only think of one person who can't master tunngle.

Quote from: {TcF}Dr.Penguin on December 08, 2013, 09:28:38 PM
Tunngle works on my computer, not really sure what to make of this post? You're very secluded if you can only think of one person who can't master tunngle.
Well, I don't really know anyone that used SWBF out side of people that still do now, so it makes perfect sense to me :P

No but really, I totally agree with Tunngle being too complicated.

Tunngle works just fine imo, some people complain about players lagging more shots, but that's a small price to pay. It's free and it usually takes less than a minute to load tunngle.

Quote from: The Black King on December 08, 2013, 08:12:30 PM
Sorry, that's what I meant, just had one of those derp moments.
But, like all codes, they can be changed, removed.
Man, I gotta figure this out myself.
I'm doing too much asking, and not enough doing.
Okay let's get back on topic
"I would explain it to you but your head might explode."

Quote from: {TCE}Call-of-Raindeer on December 09, 2013, 01:02:32 PM
Okay let's get back on topic

If COD is saying get on topic, you guys must be WAY off topic. But from a glance, are you really off topic?

Ask your friendly WgT member about joining today!