SWBF ONLINE REVIVAL?!

Started by Ultimo, November 24, 2012, 08:19:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
It's been awhile since I've been on the website [spoiler]or SWBF for that matter...[/spoiler], but I have some AMAZING news.

I'm quite aware the old Online Servers from Gamespy are shut down, but I think I know a way to get around that.
While looking through some files in the SWBF folders(this was before I even learned about this website and didn't know how to mod but wanted to figure out), I stumbled upon a file that to me back then, served no purpose. But now, it could be one of the best finds in SWBF yet.

That file's purpose is simple: Link SWBF to the Gamespy Online Hosters. Gamespy simply deleted all their hosters for SWBF, rendering the Link File useless to Gamespy. But not Completely Useless.
The Link File could possibly be modified to grant another Hoster from anywhere to run the servers instead. The SWBF Community could build their own Hoster and run it for free, or talk to a larger company (maybe Steam or Enjin or something) to give rights to run SWBF Servers through the modified file.(Or the company could give us a hoster themself.) Either way from a company, it most likely won't be free. That's why I suggested a completely-new hoster be built.

This topic was specifically placed in the Requests forum just for the purpose of asking that this may happen. I am currently unaware of the file's location in SWBF, for the day I found it was nearly 2 years ago. The file would have to be found by one of you guys. Same from you guys if you wanna build a Hoster.

I thought this was amazing news, and my buddy #GoldMan (GoldMan27), agreed when I told him on XFire.
Thanks for reading, -Ultimo
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

Constructing your own master server--easy to say, hard to do.

Another company would never do this, as I'm sure they would get sued.

Good luck!
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

I already said I don't remember it Phobos. The most I do remember was I opened it and the most I could make out was it's link to Gamespy
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

Quote from: _Ultimo_ (Coca-Cola_SURG3) on November 24, 2012, 01:26:02 PM
I already said I don't remember it Phobos. The most I do remember was I opened it and the most I could make out was it's link to Gamespy
Well that's really not much to go on. We don't have any of the master server software so even if we could redirect to our own server, it might not do any good.

So, Good question.
This topic was posted a long time ago.
BUT!
I'm hearing rumors that someone actually tried this.
Tis this true?
Someone tried to make a master server?
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

If someone tried this and it worked we would all be playing BF1 right now, so its all up to you Depressed Lion... uh I mean King
"I would explain it to you but your head might explode."

Quote from: {TCE}Call-of-Raindeer on December 08, 2013, 05:05:11 PM
If someone tried this and it worked we would all be playing BF1 right now, so its all up to you Depressed Lion... uh I mean King

I'll kill you...

As for the server, well that doesn't necessarily mean someone didn't try it or it didn't work. There's lots of reasons why we could be of online.
1) Needed money to run server, but had no moneys
2) Gamespy found out and warned them to shut it off
3) It did happen shortly, but was taken off because nobody else knew
and many more...
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

December 08, 2013, 05:46:46 PM #8 Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 05:48:20 PM by {TCE}Call-of-Raindeer
Quote from: The Black King on December 08, 2013, 05:11:56 PM
I'll kill you...

As for the server, well that doesn't necessarily mean someone didn't try it or it didn't work. There's lots of reasons why we could be of online.
1) Needed money to run server, but had no moneys
2) Gamespy found out and warned them to shut it off
3) It did happen shortly, but was taken off because nobody else knew
and many more...

I'll kill you too buddy, I'll kill you too

But to Fix Those Problems

1. We can run a fundraiser like Lead did for the servers

2. Why would GameSpy care we were bringing back the servers, legally they don't have to do anything, but if they do we can just relaunch it under new names (Perfect time to use your new name)

3. Im fairly certain we can let people know, this is a forum site after all
"I would explain it to you but your head might explode."

Quote from: {TCE}Call-of-Raindeer on December 08, 2013, 05:46:46 PM
I'll kill you too buddy, I'll kill you too

But to Fix Those Problems

1. We can run a fundraiser like Lead did for the servers

2. Why would GameSpy care we were bringing back the servers, legally they don't have to do anything, but if they do we can just relaunch it under new names (Perfect time to use your new name)

3. Im fairly certain we can let people know, this is a forum site after all

I was not specifically referring to someone on this site. I just said I heard general rumors about a master server.
If one of our big dev guys on this site wants to make a master server, then find a way to fund it, go right ahead.
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

Now what do I do with this now?

December 08, 2013, 06:21:49 PM #11 Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 06:29:20 PM by The Black King
Quote from: SleepGiver on December 08, 2013, 06:14:51 PM
Now what do I do with this now?

Well, If you're saying what I think you are...
There's a file in the SWBF files that relates back to Gamespy.
I believe we may be able to use this file, by creating a master server that can run on it's own, for playing online through Internet again.
Hold up, I'll see if I can find the file.

EDIT:
Ugh... I posted this thread a real long time ago, so I don't remember for sure where it is. It could possibly be the Gamespy ICO file in the Install folder, but I'm doubtful.

EDIT 2:
Well, does anyone know of any files that relate directly to online playing capabilities?
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

Wait, I thought about it. It's gotta be that Gamespy file.
Can we somehow create a master server, convert it to file form and use it as basically a mod in replace of the existing file?
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

Um, *.ICO is an windows bitmap Icon file.. Lol
Also, there is a registry file that can dictate where SWBF looks for the server, and that has already been patched by SleepKiller. Also, the executable has been fixed to where it looks for another server as well (openspy).

All the solutions have already been exploited.. At least, all the do-able ones.

The one thing that we could really do to fix online option, is if the openspy scripts were fully released so that SWBF could be hosted on a master server/domain, and even then it needs a bit of work. The scripts have been released, and SK is still working on them as far as I know.

Ok now I feel dumb lol. You know I don't mod.
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper