Stone prop models

Started by Snake, November 15, 2012, 05:59:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Could someone make some different stone props for me? Skin doesn't matter, I can probably just retexture them.

Some variants like

A stone slope to go into the side of raised terrain (just ~ 7 feet in height)
http://www.dot.state.oh.us/Divisions/Engineering/Geotechnical/PublishingImages/Rock_Slope_Cover_Photo.bmp Sorta like this but much smaller

A few natural looking boulders/rock formations
http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/0b/e1/5e/the-boulders.jpg
http://images.travelpod.com/users/ambs55/1.1276333577.valley-of-fire-rock-formations.jpg

Thanks!

=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

November 15, 2012, 06:38:54 PM #1 Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 07:46:01 PM by tirpider
Ah-ha!

I was digging arround, looking for original models to convert and found a guy  doing stuff for another game, he had some rocks and boulders that I could turn into props.

(gotta swim through some bookmarks so this might take a while. heh)

-edit
well.. it was in a batch of links I culled recently.

I will have a look around for some more. I spend a bit of time browsing for models, but refuse to get them from the hacky, model pirate sites. 

Since rocks aren't animated, if anyone finds some in wierd formats, I will happily convert them if the author says it's ok. (props are a bit easier than animated characters.)

They will probably need to be scaled or decimated, and will most likely need some collisions hacked into them.  But check that they are textured.  I don't know how to UV map yet.

-edit
Found some free ones on turbosquid.
1 - Moss Rock
2 - Rock Wall (he says the rocks can be moved. That means I can isolate them.)
3 - Stones pack1
4 - Forest Stones_1 #1

They have a good license.  Basicly, I can convert/edit it, document and credit it, and give it to you to use in your map.

They do state that it can't be distributed in such a way that folks have direct access to the model via 3d software. So I can't make a rock pack(out of these) and upload it here (or the turbosquid cops will get me?).

These can all be retextured if you don't like the moss.

-edit 2
All but the stone wall and moss rock have lod data (so I can make lowrez for them, yay!) and are low-poly-ish.

The stone wall is managable.. but barely.. way to many polygons, and by the time I decimate them, they will look like eggs. So I will skip it.

The Moss Rock has a base around it, so it would have to match up with your terrain in zeroedit. The supplied texture has a shadow baked onto it... I'd say retexture it just for that reason alone.

I'll start with the Stone_Pack_1, since it looks the most prommising, structurally speaking.

November 15, 2012, 08:44:51 PM #2 Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 11:46:19 PM by tirpider
Sorry for the couble post, this doesn't have to do with finding rocks, but actual usable rocks.

The pic is a scaled, and stretched sone from the stone pack.

I can make something like the formation in "the-boulders.jpg" with these.
Is this acceptable?
Bigger? Smaller? Rounder?

I put the trooper in for scale.

-edit (Second pic)
I followed though with getting one in-game to see if I had it down,and it works.
I don't need to put collisions in.  Just the msh was enough to block me from entering it.
The pic will showcase the scale troubles I am having with it, though..
I was shooting for 30 feet tall, and got 300ish.. heh

This stone was a higher poly one, I wanted to see if it would bug the game. Works fine, but I'll try to decimate it when I scale it anyway.

The texture is a little 'stretchy' as well.  I got a couple of ideas for that.

-edit 3
Much better.
Got the scaling down.  Discovered I have to scale it in the editor, rather than in my hack method. ZE hates incorrect bounding boxes, it seems.

still high poly-ish.  I reduced it severely, but anymore and it developed holes.
There were several of them on the map with no preformance hit.

(btw.. sorry for babbling on every step like this, I get nervous doing new things and tend to do that irl as well.)

-edit 4

Well.. fumbling around a bit more, I have a small formation, but it's unlike any of the images you provide as a guide.

I have to admit that I am a little unsure taking this one on after all.

To get the sandstoney feel it will need straighter lines than the sample rocks I found, and I just don't understand enough to start laying down triangles yet.

If someone finds a model in obj, fbx, or any other format than max, I can get it converted and useable though.

Thanks Tirp! So none of the other rocks you found worked? That one looks fine, I actually need it for a jungle area so its all good.  :tu:

=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

Cool.

I haven't converted them over yet.
I may be underestimating what a good reskin will do for em.

I'm going to take a little extra time in working these around and make several "arrangements" for you to choose from in case I hose some.  It's just rocks, but working in an actual editor is still new to me.

Look in the assets for one of the kyssskkyyyk maps.  Near the edges of the maps are rocks that look very similar to this.  It is kind out out of the way of hte fighting zone, but they are there.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

November 16, 2012, 10:55:49 AM #6 Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 12:01:24 AM by tirpider
Rocks are hard.. hehe

I finally got the shadows to work.

Now for collisions.
(I found some glitchy holes around the top and side that you can just walk right through.... gotta fix that)

-edit 1
Got the collisions down.
I'll convert them over "as-is" and then do some reshaped variations and PM you dropbox links for them as I finish so you don't have to wait for them all to get started with them.
(And so you can tell me "bigger", "smaller", "more rock like".. hehe)

The starting scale is about twice the size of a player model, with half 'underground'.

Conversion first. There are only 5 in the pack, so only 5 textures, but the LODs he included are different enough to be their own rocks.

During reshaping, I'll try to make some flatish ones to mimic the photos.  (Still new to the editor, but getting comfortable with it.  This is a good, low impact intro to learning it's hotkeys)