Mission.lvl changes request

Started by Kit Fisto, July 13, 2012, 01:18:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hex editing can be tricky.

If you can munge on a PC, all you need to change is a line of text (using battlebelks mission builder is super easy).
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

I don't have a PC and am not in the position to acquire one. :'(

July 13, 2012, 06:03:15 PM #17 Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 06:15:17 PM by tirpider
Try and fail is the Tao of hexing.
If it doesn't work the first time, undo the previous changes, and plan a different route.
Make one change at a time to make it easy to undo if you have to.
Test more often than you think you need to.
Always work from backup copies.

As for changing the outfits, the outfits you want to change to need to exist in one of the sides loaded by the missionl lua.
I don't remember if SK used custom sides or not. Pretty sure he didn't, so the urban and jungle variants should be there.
You found the all_inf_soldierdesert part.
Don't give up.
It sounds like you are almost there.

At the worst, just start over from a clean copy.

-edit
To clarify, I think what you are calling outfits are actually odf files.
(there is no all_inf_soldierdesert tga or msh, but there is an odf with that name in the assets)
Those are called by the req files which have names like all_inf_basicdesert (basic instead of soldier)

Now that I think a little deeper on it, you changed the class name all_inf_soldierdesert to urban, but I bet that somewhere in that mission lvl there is a reference to all_inf_basicdesert that needs to be changed in the same way.

I got that by looking at how the sides are layed out and refferenced in the req files found in
BFBuilder\Assets\Sides\ALL\REQ

I may be dead wrong on that.
The only way to know is to try :)

I think I'll lower my amount of mission.lvl requests.
These changes
1. Sk's Jedi temple: give rebels urban clothes
2. Sk's geonosis conversion: lower rep reinforcements to 220

@ Buckler/led: you did a mission.lvl for me once before, could you please do it for me again? You wouldn't have to do the others...  :shrug:

I can help, but this weekend is tough.  I can do it within 7 days.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

July 13, 2012, 07:53:22 PM #20 Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 08:59:06 PM by kitfisto15678
Thank you! Thank you! I'm gonna attempt to change the reinforcement count for geonosis tonight. I'll edit this post saying if I did/ didn't after I try. Thank you again Led!!!! :cheer:

EDIT: It won't work. Geonosis I mean. I wasn't able to change it.

EDIT AGAIN: Hey Buckler, for Coruscant could you fix the objectives if that's possible? Like:
Capture and Hold CPs
Hold the Main Hall
Can you do that by modifying the mission.lvl?

July 14, 2012, 10:40:41 AM #21 Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 10:42:36 AM by Dark_Phantom
Before I found out there were tools that people like Battlebelk and Phobos and others had made, I did a lot of Hex Editing on the .lvl files.  Time consuming until I found what I was looking for.
As far as I know (and what has been stated earlier), you cannot replace a shorter one with a longer one (there are a few exceptions that I have found, but the mission.lvl won't let you get a longer one).
To change the units, first you must call up the all_inf_basic(*null*,desert,jungle,urban,snow) that you want.  Don't type in *null* LoL.  For example:
Search tat2.lvl and go up a little to see the units.  Stop at SIDE\all.lvl
Change all_inf_basicdesert to all_inf_basicjungle. Then go down and change all_inf_soldierdesert to all_inf_soldierjungle.  Note that you cannot change the rest because only soldier has "desert".
Save and go ingame.  Only the Soldier (jungle), pilot, and wookiee will show up because I think that the .req for "jungle,urban,etc." doesn't recognize the vanguard and marksman unless they are jungle too.  (But jungle looks the same as if you had just all_inf_basic so someone got lazy somewhere or I'm missing something... So i would just use all_inf_basic until someone finds any difference...) 
I have not found how to Hex Edit reinforcement counts. And those objectives are set in the core.lvl I think.

Edit: Soldier is only class with urban extension that i see...
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.