REQUEST: Hoth as addon map

Started by Kit Fisto, July 08, 2012, 11:30:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
So ya know how on side mods the Hoth: Echo Base map always crashes? What if we made the Hoth map but as an addon map? Would it still crash? If not could someone do it? 8)

Another question, similar to Kit Fisto's:

Can stock BF1 maps be made as AddOn maps and still allow other players to join your server if they have not made that map an AddOn? This would be vey handy for modding the AddOn map differently than stock (OC Mods) and still allowing them to play with you without an in-game changer.

July 08, 2012, 01:56:30 PM #2 Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 02:03:01 PM by Buckler
Quote from: ✫Şђã·Żäм✫ on July 08, 2012, 01:41:49 PM
Another question, similar to Kit Fisto's:

Can stock BF1 maps be made as AddOn maps and still allow other players to join your server if they have not made that map an AddOn? This would be vey handy for modding the AddOn map differently than stock (OC Mods) and still allowing them to play with you without an in-game changer.

Short answer:  No. 

Now, if you host a server that uses no download needed mods, the map file can go anywhere as long as its location is compiled into the map lua for the name of the map.  For example, suppose you want to use an on-line compatible bes2.

In the server mission.lvl file, build it to read the map:  crazyspin.lvl  called via the compiled bes2a.lua
Players read stock bes2a mission, which reads the stock map bes2.lvl, but the server reads crazyspin.lvl.
A crash will result unless the server mod is on-line no download compatible.

Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Would a hoth addon map crash with custom sides?  :tv:

Quote from: kitfisto15678 on July 08, 2012, 02:05:57 PM
Would a hoth addon map crash with custom sides?  :tv:

One can only try it and find out.

Quote from: Buckler on July 08, 2012, 01:56:30 PM
Short answer:  No. 

Now, if you host a server that uses no download needed mods, the map file can go anywhere as long as its location is compiled into the map lua for the name of the map.  For example, suppose you want to use an on-line compatible bes2.

In the server mission.lvl file, build it to read the map:  crazyspin.lvl  called via the compiled bes2a.lua
Players read stock bes2a mission, which reads the stock map bes2.lvl, but the server reads crazyspin.lvl.
A crash will result unless the server mod is on-line no download compatible.
I would be putting Online Compatible Mods into the edit AddOn of the stock BF1 map. I just thought it would be handy to rename the AddOn to, for example: BESPIN: CLOUD CITY - IMP VS IMP, instead of modifying the stock bes2 with Fairsides.

Still, I would like to learn how to make stock BF1 maps into AddOn maps. I am very interested in this.
Could you please explain to me how you would do this, or pinpoint me do a tutourial somewhere?  :happy:

Thanks in advance!

Quote from: Buckler on July 08, 2012, 02:13:25 PM
One can only try it and find out.
Could you possibly make a hoth addon? ( exactly like the stock )

Quote from: ✫Şђã·Żäм✫ on July 08, 2012, 02:13:58 PM
I would be putting Online Compatible Mods into the edit AddOn of the stock BF1 map. I just thought it would be handy to rename the AddOn to, for example: BESPIN: CLOUD CITY - IMP VS IMP, instead of modifying the stock bes2 with Fairsides.

Still, I would like to learn how to make stock BF1 maps into AddOn maps. I am very interested in this.
Could you please explain to me how you would do this, or pinpoint me do a tutourial somewhere?  :happy:

Thanks in advance!

IMP vs IMP is not a map mod, its a mission.lvl mod.

In my notes about using random command in LUA, you can see that I can load a variety of mods where the server makes the mod choice and the player just receives it.

A tutorial exits for editing stock maps.  Look in the tutorials forum.

And to kitfisto, every modder has big and small projects.  It is hard to fit something else in.  Find someone that will give you an old PC.  Some relative is sure to have something in a closet somewhere...older is actually better.  Get something with Windows XP on it.   :cheers:

Quote from: Buckler on July 08, 2012, 02:31:36 PM
IMP vs IMP is not a map mod, its a mission.lvl mod.

I'm well aware of that. I just wanted to have my stock bes2 unaffected. and have an AddOn bes2 with all kinds of mods on it. I used to make a server that was quite crazy with alot of mods for CC. It was Hallway Only, Imp v Imp Fairsides, Fastspawn, 1.0, and no CP. It was just for duels and such.

I just thought it would be handy to have a stock bes2, unaffected. Then to have an AddOn bes2 with all kinds of Online Compatible mods.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I will check the tutourials section later, thanks for your help Buckler.  :cheers:

Well, you could put only your new mission.lvl in addon, there is no need to reproduce the map--use your LUA command to call the stock map.  This will make for an amazingly small download, too.

Let me know if you need help setting up the LUA for this.