Request: Hex Crafting Tutorial

Started by Snake, May 03, 2012, 08:32:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I know tirp is getting overloaded with requests but I was wondering if someone (maybe tirpider himself if he has time) could write a tutorial on how to do the things he does. I'd love to learn.
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

There are some brilliant bits in the tutorials section (I am remembering Phobos has a good one started.)

I am working on some tools to help hexing, and a write up on how to use them.

I just don't know where to start explaining the process.

Perhaps we could start an open FAQ ("MSH HEX EDITING FAQ") with the first cpl of posts dedicated to Questions with links to Answers, either in-thread or as single posts elswhere.
As folks post questions and answers, the first post is updated to point to the right place.

Every hex-editor has thier own method and way of visualising the data.
We could benefit from that, or be completely confused by it.

Till something like that happens, a great place to gather info is by learning the MSH structure itself.
[info].msh structure notes[wip] - My notes on MSH structure.
Updated and extended .MSH format tables - ANDEWEGET on GT is writing the ZETools MSH exporter for the modern free version of XSI.

Ande and I have synched info, but my post still isn't updated. (It's just animation tags so not really important till we know more about how to use them)
Both of us started with info from the Riley pages, but they refer to munged msh data in the lvl files.
The rest is insight, suggestions and trial and error.

My MSH INFO TOOL (link) is not ready for a lot of heavy use, but simply loading a MSH into it will give you a good idea on how the tags look in working MSH's.

As starting points, the above could keep a person busy for a while.