[SOLVED] Changing TGA names in MSH file

Started by Snake, April 21, 2012, 08:55:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
April 21, 2012, 08:55:47 AM Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 09:54:42 AM by Unit 33
Hey tirpider, I'm not sure if this is correct (i have a foggy memory) but can you use your hex editing skills to make several versions of a model with their own names and .tga's so they can be used in the same map? If so I have a request: 5 or 6 versions of the 4m wall in the tatooine assets. I could use that for signs in my maps! Thanks if you can.
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

Hi snake, just open up the MSH file with a hex editor and change the name of the specified TGA file.  It is pretty easy.  Let's ask tirpider to do the difficult things :)

If you can't get it to work, send me the name of the MSH file and and where it is located, along with a list of what the new TGA names should be (they may have to be changed, but it will be a start).

Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Ah, I did not realize it was so easy.  ;) I have lost my hex editor and I don't remember anything about Hex Editing. Where can I download a good Hex tool, and i think there's a tut about this on Gametoast somewhere.. I'll have to find it.
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

In anticipation of your question:
http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=4457.msg43446#msg43446

:)

do a text search for TGA, and then you will see the name it references
put in a new name by carefully using *exactly* the same number of characters as the old name, by over writing (not inserting) new characters.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Thanks Led  :happy:
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder