Tirpider's Hex-Crafting Request Thread

Started by {TcF}Dr.Penguin, April 10, 2012, 09:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Could you add a kama to a mandalorian for me? I found a good model with a backpack and shoulder pauldron on it. However, kama's are traditional mandalorian fashion, and I just love kamas anyway. The shoulder pauldron is too high on the neck to (easy to see in swbf msh viewer), so if you could make that look better that'd be nice.  ;)

I found the model in a big pack of models, so I uploaded it here on swbfgamers for easy access. I included the kama model I had in mind. It's one that GGCTUK made I think. It was in his compatible units assets pack. Here's the folder.

http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=690

I don't know about permission to edit it though. The mandalorian model is Deviss' work, and the only way I could contact him would be GT, which is very unreliable at this time at best. As said earlier, the kama is GGCTUK's work. This is what I use for my personal rep skin, so if permissions are hard to get, I'm not using it in a public mod.
That can't be right... 4 megatons is supposed to leave a much bigger crater...

that upload here has been suspended until you can provide a credits list.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

July 22, 2012, 08:22:45 PM #152 Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 08:55:18 PM by tirpider
A Mandolorian with a kama (and slight pauldron adjustment) sounds like a good idea.
The link you provided doesn't go anywhere for me, but I know what pack you are talking about.
I just checked my asset archive and while digging through the Deviss stuff, I noticed that almost half of the archives I have of his are corrupted. They are the right size, but have no contents. :( I know that a lot of folks on GT recently re upped a lot of them, but a good number of the 7z archives I have are from them. So I'll have to coordinate with you on putting these pieces together.

I have to pretty much draw the line at modifying someones stuff without permission. I know a lot of guys do it any way, but it just gets stressful for me. Simple maintenance stuff like fixing skewed geometry or bad weights, I'll just fix, but creative alterations are to invasive to do without permission.

Here are some options:
Deviss is still active on GT, so that's probably the best way to contact him.
ggctuk is on here, there and active, so contacting him should be no trouble.
Sometimes folks don't mind, sometimes they do. We have to be prepared to honor the wishes of the artist to maintain civility.

In case they don't want thier models fiddled with, there are still options.
I believe there is a decent Boba Fett model for BF2.
It has a cloth cape that would have to be removed, but other than that, It should work great.

A pauldron could be swiped from any of several stock units. (I know it isn't the same, but it's possible)

Kama's are everywhere these days. One of my upcomming  projects it to make a kama that can be fitted to just about any unit.

I have a pretty long line, but I'll create a project folder for this.
It will take some time (I don't know if that means weeks or days, my schedule is really wierd) before I can start on it. That should give you plenty of time to contact Deviss and ggctuk and hear back from them.
Once you have the permissions, we can figure out what pieces are going where and I'll make it happen.

-edit (corrected assumption)

Quote from: tirpider on July 22, 2012, 08:22:45 PM
One of my upcomming  projects it to make a kama that can be fitted to just about any unit.
:panic: Oh my giddy Aunt.

Almost any unit.
I wouldn't know what size Kama you would wear, Unit :P

Quote from: tirpider on July 22, 2012, 08:22:45 PM
One of my upcomming  projects it to make a kama that can be fitted to just about any unit.
Interesting! If you mean something like this:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
I may hold on, with my Dagabah release... But, can you say for sure, when exactly your caped models cud be released?

Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf:

Quote from: Sereja on July 23, 2012, 03:35:52 AM
Interesting! If you mean something like this:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Oh my! That's the model of my dreams!

Quote from: tirpider on April 18, 2012, 01:51:56 PM
Great idea.
Need to get Dragonum's permissions. (sending a pm on GT right now.)

-edit
pm sent. Looks like Dragonum is still around, though  I don't know when to expect a reply.
The Mediafire link in that post is dead, but I have a copy in my archive.
As long as we get permission it should be completely do-able.

As usual im just reading posts, so i tried to go to game toast but it said my ip is banned for China crap? I dont even live there. :'(

July 23, 2012, 12:41:28 PM #158 Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 12:46:32 PM by tirpider
RE: Awesome Rebel Soldier with a Kama
Thats just groovy, Sereja. :)
Yes, something just like that.
For that particular guy, I would remove or flatten his belt packs a bit.
As for timing, it will be soon. I'm about done with Talz and Solo with a Kama/Trenchcoat is next. Thats where I'll be making a generalized kama piece.

@Wusi.Rs DarkShadow
Ah.. Took a bit for me to find what you were refering to.
Yes, Dragonum gave permission to me to alter the model. But that particular idea didn't pan out.
Mainly because of Anakin's hair helmet.

I still have the Oni project (and female characters in general) open.
It isn't comming out till it can look good though. You can see from some of the earlier pics that the more I tried to hack it into shape, the worse it got.

As a sort of update to Oni, I have a licenced copy of Milkshape now. It is a better-ish tool to approach things like hair and faces than hex-editing ever will be. I am totally unskilled with it, but I am learning.

Quote from: tirpider on April 18, 2012, 01:51:56 PM
As usual im just reading posts, so i tried to go to game toast but it said my ip is banned for China crap? I dont even live there. :'(
That site seems to have a passion for IP banning random people. Just use a proxy site and you can see the posts  :XD:

July 23, 2012, 01:01:25 PM #160 Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 12:57:06 AM by Regent
Quote from: tirpider on July 23, 2012, 12:41:28 PM
RE: Awesome Rebel Soldier with a Kama
Thats just groovy, Sereja. :)
Yes, something just like that.
Solo with a Kama/Trenchcoat is next. Thats where I'll be making a generalized kama piece.

I still have the Oni project (and female characters in general) open.
It isn't comming out till it can look good though. You can see from some of the earlier pics that the more I tried to hack it into shape, the worse it got.

As a sort of update to Oni, I have a licenced copy of Milkshape now. It is a better-ish tool to approach things like hair and faces than hex-editing ever will be. I am totally unskilled with it, but I am learning.
It's nice to know that Kama Han is still a thing.
As that is the case I think I'll re-do all the skins I did for that project since I've learnt far more about skinning since then...

October 12, 2012, 12:52:30 AM #161 Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 12:57:02 AM by tirpider
Working on the Mando Kama now.

All things concidered, I'm going with the Pandemic Hero's from BF2, instead of Deviss's models.
Not saying any are better than the other or anything, it's just more accessable to me.

I am over half done with putting it on Boba. (only lowres left)
I will make a quick pass at Jango, but it's pretty much the same (maybe not.)
If there is a signifigant difference in the models, I'll post both.

Should be up in the next day or 2.

-edit
Regarding the addon kama.
It's weighted to the legs.
That makes it impossible to turn into an addon. :(
For it to be a proper addon msh, it would have to be able to weight to bones in another msh.
Which can't happen. (Mother Nature would cry if it did.)

Another solution may appear for that though.

Thanks a lot for the Obi-Kama Tirpider, it's fantastic.

Quick request when you're done:

Stormtrooper with a Darktrooper Jetpack

Shock trooper model with goggles addon.
Current Projects:
Battlefront One and a Half Era Mod, v2.0. Making great progress (SWBF)

Stormie with Darktrooper Jetpack, No problem.

Stormtrooper with goggles will take longer because of wierd adjustments on the head, but can do.

(I do need a source for goggles though)