Cliff Map

Started by ~{PLA}~ Seth, December 04, 2009, 03:27:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
WOuldn't it be cool to have a map where the only standing space is small, circular cliffs? Like the ones you'll see in movies, that are so high that the clouds hide most of them? I'm thinking it can go something like this:

So there are basically just a bunch of circular tall pillars, and at a certain level on the map, below all the standing space, is just a bunch of clouds, where, if you fall, you die. Like if you jump off Bespin: Platforms. The border of the map could just be some medium-sized easy to stand on tall cliff pillars. Some could be connected by rope bridges, others you have to jump. The CPs could be on LARGE pillar cliffs, with maybe with some of them having rocks for cover. One thing I would like to see: A CP at the very, very bottom of the map, on a large pillar-cliff, with a rope bridge leading up to higher pillar/cliffs. Right next to the bottom-of-the-map CP, there should be another one just like it, but MUCH taller, like top of the map. So there's the main map and CP stuff, and then one thing I think would be cool, would be in the very middle of the map, towards the top, there could be a bunch of little pillars, and you have to jump to get from one to another, and then to get out to that group of mini-pillars, you have to get to a rope-bridged pillar, then have to jump to the mini-pillars. For starting team CPs, I think a one-team-has-high-ground-the-other-has-low-ground. A cool idea would be that the higher you get on the map, the smaller the pillars get, save for command post structures. Also, don't put the pillars EVERYWHERE, put only 1 or 2 paths at any given time, so that encountering other people is more likely. So there's gonna be a LOT of not-stand-on-able space, but that was the point of this map. Sound epic? I thought so.

That actually DOES sound sort of cool, and easy to make.

If you draw up some sort of layout in Microsoft Paint or something, I'll consider working on it as a side project, since I need a visual representation, otherwise it sounds pretty cool

December 04, 2009, 07:13:05 PM #2 Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 08:17:16 PM by ~{PLA}~ Seth
Cool. I'll get to work on a paint rendition of the map ASAP.
BTW, how do you add a pic on here?

nice, sounds like it will be made for us all.

I'll give the details later, but here's what I came up with. Very basic, as you can see. Sorry for the bad writing, I find it difficult to write with a mouse.

Oops, I put it on twice...
On another note, it's waaaay too small. How do I get the pic bigger?

Well, there are some things you can't see with it so small like that. Anyway, when I do get it bigger, here are the details:

When the map key says, "Low pillar" "medium pillar" or "tall pillar" I'm referring to altitude. "Low
" means towards the bottom of the map, medium is around the middle altitude of the map, and tall is towards the top. Not all the exact same level, just in that general area.

For the bottom of the map, it would be cool to not be able to see the bottoms of the pillars, with heavy fog covering the bottom. Jumping through the fog would induce death.

I think some light mist/fog to this map would be a cool addition, that's how it always is in the movies anyway. But it looks cool and would fit the map well.

This map has several rope bridges, maybe you could use the rope bridges from Kashyyyk: Docks?

Not to scale. Some places were you're gaining altitude via hopping rocks will need to be made much bigger than they are in the rendition.

Now, the CPs.

1: Tall CP. Note the rocks and the large natural bridge. It also has a clear view of the enemy CP, CP 4. The fog limits it a bit though. Empire/Republic spawn point.

2: Big, open CP, and the tallest pillar on the map. Note the blue along the side of it. That isn't water; That is a small, little cave. Not deep at all, you can't hide in it. I put it there for a platform on top. You walk up the side there by the stone ramp, and you're on top of the almost-cave. Just a cool little thing to keep it from being the same terrain over and over again. Empire/Republic spawn point.

I'll have to continue this in a next post, the thing is freaking out and won't let me stay down byu this text.

3: Vacant CP to start with. Note how that both teams have ready access to this CP, so the fight for this CP will be intense, and will give whoever gets it a CP advantage. I have devised a localization name for this CP, and that is: Rope Bridge Junction. I dunno, it's all I could think of. The rest are open debate if the CPs are gonna be localized.

4: Low, low platform. Right next to CP1, and is only a short rope bridge walk away. Rebel/CIS CP.

5: Small little platform. Many rope bridges lead to CP3, ascending all the way.

All those little dots are little stepping stones, big enough to easily jump and stand on, but small enough to provide a challenge of getting on them and going from one to another.
Obviously, the jet troopers are gonna RULE this map, the layout just screams, JET TROOPER!!!!!, Does it not? It's a jet haven. The many levels allow them to skip the rope bridges and some stepping stones, and jump down from CP1 to CP4 with no problem.

The dark troopers will not have such an easy time because of how their jetpack works; The catapult-into-the-air style of jetting combined with the small standing space makes it a bit hazardous. But the whole map is pretty hazardous.

No vehicles at all.

No natives.

Because of all these factors, I think this would be a really fun map, especially in multiplayer, if possible.

Sounds great Seth, I'll consider it

xshat, if you read the second post in this topic I said I was probably going to do this as a side project, so there's no need for you to do it

Can you guys read the map key on the teeny pic?

Anyway, if you can, don't make the map surface the colors on the key; just brown. It'd be kind of weird to be standing on an orange pillar. Also, let's do a pretty high map ceiling, so that we can still move freely on the taller platforms.

I'm thinking we can get lots of parts from Tatooine: Dune Sea. Like the rocks here and there for cover. For a sky, IDC really, but if it can be fog/mist that would be cool since that's what the rest of the map has. And then like I said we can get rope bridges from Kashyyyk Docks.

You can click on the pictures to open them full size :)

(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿"" (-_-*)

great, one more map that is cool to play with others.

Nice premise, I hope it will carry through to completion !

This reminds me of a similar project I wanted to do in the future, based off Jedi Power Battles: "Naboo: Cliffs".
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)
--Endor: Imperial Base

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1

Well, it's not really a Nabooey map, it's like 20,000 feet in elevation, all misty, can't-even-see-the-bottom-of-the-cliffs tall. It's not at all like Naboo.