SWBF 1 - Helms Deep 3.0

Started by TheGangstarTY, January 16, 2016, 02:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
January 16, 2016, 02:41:29 PM Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 02:43:02 PM by TheGangstarTY
Hello all,

This is one of my favourite maps out there, especially in the category of battles with hundreds of troops.

I was looking at the old Helms Deep 2.0 topic and noticed Droideka's Comment:

Quote from: Droideka on July 30, 2009, 10:29:26 PM
It's easy to beat the map, you just have to cap the deeping wall and then try and either take the staircase below the Tower, or you can try to go through the area surrounding the main gate and stop the soldiers going through there.

I do agree that the map is way too easy to win as the defender. There should be a couple hundred less reinforcements for the defender, and the attacking team should be able to have some sort of artillery-type vehicle to make a real siege, and the defenders could have something to counter that with.

The turrets on top of the Keep are also totally useless- you can't aim them to hit anything unless you go backwards and shoot everything in the keep.

To be accurate with the movies, there should also be a slope where some sort of help can arrive for the defenders, some sort of alternative base or whatever. I'm not expecting gandalf with a cavalry charge though  :P

Ladders would also be cool for the attackers, both the short ladder and the long one used to get to the keep in the movies. The attackers can't get in the castle as it is, unless they blow up the drain gate or the main gate.

Just some thoughts, if somebody modded the map a bit after getting permission from the creator, that would be really cool. This is a great map even with the issues in it.

I 100% agree that this could make the map even better. I was wondering if the assets would be allowed to be released so someone could improve it even more. As always, I would try to do this myself, but Windows 10 absolutely sucks.

Thanks and have a great day!
- TheGangstarTY
Feel free to contact me on Steam, I answer instantly (Unless I'm offline):<br /><br />YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/roblox751123

It not likely that anyone but the original map maker would have those assets, and even then, they are probably long gone.

The good news is that it is possible to hex edit the mission.lvl file to change reinforcements.  The only hard part is know what values to change...
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

I remember seeing the helms deep assets somewhere.. Perhaps one of Squeddie's packs?
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

I don't know if the map assets were released but you can always reconstruct the mission LUA from scratch which is what I did for zombie castle. Reskinning the map is also possible without the source. Unfortunately I don't know how to add vehicles other than deployable ones. I agree it would be cool to improve this map further.