Jurassic Farm--this one is for you, GDH

Started by Led, September 10, 2014, 05:41:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I don't mean to sound rude but; Wouldn't re-introducing a species that's been extinct for millennia just screw up the current ecosystem?

So we can revive the dead, but I can't get a solid internet connection?
Moar Prioritizzation plz

I'll let you know when I breed my first mammoth  :)
Quote from: Commander Awesome on September 10, 2014, 06:03:54 PM
I don't mean to sound rude but; Wouldn't re-introducing a species that's been extinct for millennia just screw up the current ecosystem?
Animals have been selectively bred to have certain features for centuries, now some people change their genetics before they're even born. Generally changing a domesticated breed shouldn't be a problem only predators or wild animals that change the food chain would be risky (excluding diseases.) That's the boring answer anyway.  I'll keep breeding my animals naturally and let someone else have the mammoths.  :D
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

September 11, 2014, 01:32:26 PM #5 Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 01:36:39 PM by Joseph
Quote from: Commander Awesome on September 10, 2014, 06:03:54 PM
They've only been extinct for a few hundred years, so the current ecosystem = their old ecosystem. (Even milennia is not a long time on evolutionary timescales, the appropriate scale is millions of years)

This is a very interesting read. I had actually done research on something similiar involving scientists wanting to bring back mammoths. The thing is weather it be a pre-historic mammoth or cattle, is it really right to do so and how beneficial or un-beneficial would it be to undertake this task. According to your article, it moraly isnt such a bad idea. They claim they want to bring this bovine beast to help keep green parts of europe more stable/to help keep them green. Personally this kind of program isnt such a bad idea, actually it would be like reverting back an animal that we as human beings molded back to something that wasnt touched by our hands. They dont seem to be all that different from todays cattle, except for the clear size and muscular difference.

For something a little more extreme like a dinosuar or mammoth, I think those should be out of the question.

Battfront Stuff if your interested.
http://www.youtube.com/user/411Remnant

Quote from: Led on September 11, 2014, 04:18:50 PM
mmm, steak    :moo:
You've summed it all up perfectly  ;)
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)