Graphics card (haha red, feel free to answer:)

Started by quik, March 07, 2010, 02:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
So on my desktop I've got an integrated HD3200 ATI Radeon graphics.

I've been wanting to upgrade, and I'm not too sure what integrated means, although I've tried googling it and such.

Can anyone explain to me what integrated means exactly? (I know it means something about being sodered to the motherboard....) And what's a good gaming Grahpics card to buy for my desktop?

http://www.xfire.com/profile/7quikshadow7

Check the link for the specs on my computer. I'm using windows 7 ultimate too.
.:AM:. Quik <3: ag..
.:AM:. Quik <3: his avatar...
.:AM:. Quik <3: is really gay..
.:AM:. Quik <3: lol
Droideka: avatar isn't gay!
Droideka: AG is

.:AM:. Quik <3: don't worry, i like you
.:AM:. Quik <3: that's all that matters
Droideka: NOO
Droideka: i only care about BD
Droideka: that sounded gay

If I'm not mistaken, integrated graphics mean all graphical computing is done by the motherboard, which means that you don't have a graphics card at all.

ATI Graphics Cards aren't integrated so it's either Red will have to correct me or you got the word "integrated" from somewhere else.

#TYBG

March 07, 2010, 04:58:37 PM #2 Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 05:25:13 PM by xfire keenmike
Quote from: Red on March 07, 2010, 04:56:15 PM
are extremely inefficient.
While red is correct alot of the times I play swbf1 an old game with 8200 nvidia onbard graphics and my game play is fine at 30fps. I have fun with smooth game play while running thru two routers and sharing dsl with the a full hotel 58 rooms. Not all might be using the internet, but all internet users run thru the last router. And I have found that when I unplug one ethernet cable that supplies a wireless router I eliminate the freaky internet problems I have had in the past. This experiment is still running and I learn more and more every night, but more here at mpcgamers.com. The mini pc computer cost me 200 us dollars.

Thx for correcting me Red.

I think this is a good time to have a Graphics Card FAQ seeing how this is very valuable information.

#TYBG

Yes ive been looking around for an affordable computer with a good graphics card and i found so many different cards that now i am confused :confused:

Quik, what types of pc slots does your pc have?

Quote from: xfire keenmike on March 08, 2010, 03:18:14 PM
Quik, what types of pc slots does your pc have?

I'm pretty sure PCI. Why?

Quote from: Red on March 07, 2010, 05:31:19 PM
I did not say that integrated graphics cards were bad at everything. I said that they were inefficient. I've seen integrated run games, yes, but not very well.

Red, what card do you recommend me getting then? I'm at a loss...
I need something below 100$, yet runs well. I bought my computer when it was on sale...I, only being 14 unexperienced, didn't know.
I'm not picky on graphics card, whether they be from Nvidia, ATI, or anything else.

I just want a good one. I've got 400W power supply i believed, maybe 500. Where would I check that?

Droideka: that sounded gay

Quote from: Red on March 08, 2010, 06:04:07 PM
I would recommend the GeForce GT 240 from either EVGA. Very good card at a reasonable price. Almost as powerful as my 8800GT, and that cost me $115. The reason I recommended an Nvidia card is because ATI has had some trouble with their drivers; making computers crash, cards overheat and whatnot, besides the fact that the GT 240 is a very good buy. GDDR5 memory too.

Yes.

#TYBG

Quote from: quik on March 08, 2010, 04:36:35 PM
I'm pretty sure PCI. Why?
You will have to get specific because the card red likes requires a PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot.

@Red - Thanks!

@Cull - Thanks, I knew that though :)