Need suggestions on an upgrade

Started by Link, November 08, 2009, 01:27:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
November 08, 2009, 01:27:58 PM Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 01:35:11 PM by Link
Currently I have a Dell dimension 4600. Its old but it does what I tell it, up until I install and try to run Call of Duty: world at war.  Ive done some research and found that my Nvidia GeForce 5200 isn't supported. I need some suggestions on what I should upgrade to. The computer currently has 512mb ram and outputs 250w. There is one agp slot and several pci slots (not express).  I really don't want to get a new computer (Ive only got so much money.)

In a Realm beyond sight,
The sky shines gold not blue,
There, the Triforce's might
Makes mortal dreams come true.

PCI Express? Can we get the rest of your specs, like PSU and etc?

It may be best to scrap the entire build if it's too old to logically support anything beyond next year in any way.

(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿"" (-_-*)

1   C1431   Processor,80532,2.8G,512K,533,Socket N
1   7N242   Keyboard,104 Key,US,Silitek, LC,MG
1   W1668   Kit,Mouse,PS2,2 Button,Wheel, Logitech
1   0R533   Card,MM,Audio,SB0203
1   R1888   Kit,Speaker,120V,A425,Altec Lansing,Dell Americas Organization
1   R1141   Compact Disk Read Write,48X32 IDE,F5,Samsung,Midnight Gray
1   9Y452   Card,Graphics,128MB,NV34, Dimension
1   N0806   Hard Drive,40GB,I,7.2K,80G/P Seagate-Alpine
1   J1894   Kit, Software, WP Product Suite 11, English
1   N2999   Kit,Software,Money-2K4 Standard,Original Equipment Manufacturer,English
1   P2643   Kit,Software,Microsoft Encarta2k4,Original Equipment Manufacturer,English
1   R2553   Kit,Software,Overpack,WXPHSP1ACompact Diskette/W Documentation,English
1   G2876   Kit,Documentation/Diskette Software,Cyberlink,4.14 Dimension
1   8W234   Display,Flat Panel Display,15,D,E151FPB,Midnight Gray,Dell Americas Organization
2   U3420   Dual In-line Memory Module,256333M,32X64,8K,184
1   X2746   Digital Video Disk Drive,16X IDE,Half Height,External Midnight Gray

In a Realm beyond sight,
The sky shines gold not blue,
There, the Triforce's might
Makes mortal dreams come true.

November 15, 2009, 07:33:31 AM #3 Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 07:35:31 AM by Russell
wow. 512MB of RAM. there is no way you are going to be able to play that game without a RAM upgrade trust me. i have call of duty 4 and i know the minimum RAM for that is i think 2 or 4 GB of RAM. you need at least 2 GB to have a good gaming experience with call of duty

"Were bigger than Jesus!"  -John Lennon

Yes, 2GB of decent speed RAM (I would say 800Mhz) is sufficient for pretty much all games out at the moment. No game requires 4GB of RAM in a basic 32bit system, seen as the computer doesn't recognise more than 3GB of RAM, thus defeating the purpose. Only reason I have 4GB is because it came as a free upgrade :)

I think you will struggle with the graphics upgrade, simply because AGP Cards aren't produced much anymore, therefore aren't totally up to standard.

Quote from: .invertus on November 15, 2009, 08:35:32 AM
Yes, 2GB of decent speed RAM (I would say 800Mhz) is sufficient for pretty much all games out at the moment. No game requires 4GB of RAM in a basic 32bit system, seen as the computer doesn't recognise more than 3GB of RAM, thus defeating the purpose. Only reason I have 4GB is because it came as a free upgrade :)

I think you will struggle with the graphics upgrade, simply because AGP Cards aren't produced much anymore, therefore aren't totally up to standard.
there are several operating systems that recognize more than 2GB of RAM. the oldest operating system that only recognized 2GB is xp. anything newer than that can recognize more. Windows 7 now recognizes somewhere around 160GB

I think you will find that is wrong. Only 64-bit OS's will recognise more than 3GB worth of RAM. 32-bit will not.

i recomend this or that or even here. i plan on creating a super small pc build with SLI dual exhaust configuation.

Quote from: keenmike on November 20, 2009, 02:32:34 PM
i recomend this or that or even here. i plan on creating a super small pc build with SLI dual exhaust configuation.
if you wanna super small desktop. Go buy yourself a mac mini. it is insanely small and it packs the heat of 64-bit technology and dual core processors

Mac minis are not good for games, which Link wants. Link also wants to use Windows. If I remember right.

Not a good choice.

Quote from: Jedikiller on November 20, 2009, 05:01:53 PM
Mac minis are not good for games, which Link wants. Link also wants to use Windows. If I remember right.

Not a good choice.
idk about gaming. i know that my macbook pro is great for gaming, so if you are reffering to the OS then there are no problems there. Also, you can always just run Windows on a MAC. no bigge

a question, about keeping it simple. which would be simple and effective for link?

Quote from: keenmike on November 20, 2009, 10:31:20 PM
a question, about keeping it simple. which would be simple and effective for link?
well i dont really do it very often but its either going and buying a pc or building one. Mac mini's are small and they are really nice computers. Also, if he really hates MAC OSX then he can install Windows through boot camp. IF you wanna see the technical specifications for this desktop its at the link below.

http://www.apple.com/macmini/specs.html

How about we all go back and read through the original post. He is looking to upgrade. NOT BUY A NEW COMPUTER. So I'm gonna have to say lets swing this back onto the actual topic, or this is gonna get closed.

Unfortunately, at this point, it doesn't look like he's going to be able to upgrade anything to anything even remotely current without buying almost all new components. It might actually be cheaper to just buy a whole new system.