Battlefield 4 System Requirements ANNOUNCED!

Started by Kit Fisto, October 02, 2013, 06:33:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
It's perfectly possible to implement DX 11.2 in Windows 95. Is it plausible? No. Of course it can be implemented into Windows 7 but they're not going to support it forever.

My point is that assuming DICE was paid to suggest Windows 8 doesn't have much merit to it just because of "greediness".

#TYBG

November 26, 2013, 12:41:37 PM #31 Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 02:05:28 PM by hippox99
Your example with comparing windows 95 to windows 7 is, well, very weak. Is there even any logic in it? Not a very good argument, I'm afraid.

If you don't think it's likely that EA was paid to recommend Windows 8 - but not also Windows 7 - and even making some small 'valid' -excuse- to use DX 11.2 in some insignificant way then you don't know how fake and cheap the gaming industry is.

But be a happy consumer. Ignorance is bliss.

November 26, 2013, 02:16:27 PM #32 Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 02:20:11 PM by aeria.
I'll admit that was a silly example. But that's the point. There's little logic to it. Why would they put it in Windows 7, a product that came out in 2009? Why should they decrease the value of Windows 8?

But if I was Microsoft, whatever I want my company to make next, I want to be for my latest product, Windows 8. There's nothing "fake and cheap" about it. It's called business. That's something you learn in college. Microsoft wants there to be an incentive for people to transition over and not stay with Windows 7. As a consumer naturally I want to keep using Windows 7 but obviously that impacts sales of Windows 8. For developers, Windows 8 is already a more efficient OS. They're not going to backtrack to Windows 7 either.

DICE meanwhile is aware of DX11.2 and wishes to take advantage of what it has to offer. So what do they do? They recommend Windows 8.

#TYBG

November 26, 2013, 05:28:52 PM #33 Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 05:48:55 PM by Buckler
What you might not learn in college, but rather experience for yourself, is how soulless and cynical business actually is. I know we're taught how business is 'good' and 'wonderful' and 'be a good consumer' but in reality business degrades society as much as it provides it with nourishment. I have no love for big businesses. Microsoft, EA, whatever. I rather see smaller, personal businesses and just more of them. And open source. And less copyright.

Imagine if anybody could make a battlefield game? A radical thought. But when ideas are not owned indefinitely, which is practically the case, and controlled obsessively, then great things ensures. We should fight such stagnation.

Public domain is a dying, but wonderful concept. We can thank big businesses and ourselves (we buy) for changing the laws and extending copyright.

What big businesses wants the most of all is for you to think as them. I refuse.

Instead of Microsoft using cheap tricks to make people buy their new products, maybe they should just make a superior product instead? But then they make a  :censored: interface that's forced on you, no choice. We don't want you to have a choice, says Microsoft !

edit by buckler:  we have a strict no cursing policy here, as we appeal to gamers across a broad age range

I completely agree, and I'm glad someone else thinks the same way I do :P
Of course this is usually where we get big "hush" signs so we don't have a big conspiracy thread or some giant flame thread like SWBF Radar discussions, lol.

November 26, 2013, 05:49:39 PM #35 Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 05:53:02 PM by hippox99
Yeah, I'm the dragging topic off the course. Enough said form my side if I can prevent it on the matter. :)

Edit: Didn't mean to type a curse word out, bucker. That was uncivilized of me. I rather have typed 'insert bad word here' as I normally would do. I slipped.

You're completely missing the point I'm trying to tell you.

I'm trying to tell you that DX11.2 is the reason why DICE recommends Windows 8. I'm also telling you why Microsoft would make DX11.2 exclusive to Windows 8.

I'm not expressing my opinions on commercial vs open source software. To be frank, you're assuming that I'm saying we should all buy Windows 8 and support big businesses like Microsoft. Go re-read why I posted earlier. I NEVER said any of that. I am expressing ZERO opinions. In fact I'll make it clear: I prefer Windows 7 over Windows 8. Most of the software I use aside from the OS is open source. I even use OpenOffice for the word processing.

Back to my point: You're being a conspiracy theorist for thinking that Microsoft paid DICE. There's no factual evidence behind it and little pointers to inferring it either.

#TYBG

Quote from: hippox99 on November 26, 2013, 05:28:52 PM
Imagine if anybody could make a battlefield game? A radical thought. But when ideas are not owned indefinitely, which is practically the case, and controlled obsessively, then great things ensures. We should fight such stagnation.

Public domain is a dying, but wonderful concept. We can thank big businesses and ourselves (we buy) for changing the laws and extending copyright.
You say what if anyone could make a Battlefield game. How do you think SWBF came about? A guy at Pandemic had the idea that Battlefield + SW would equal awesome thus they pitched the idea to LucasArts who thought it was grand. They then made the game while putting there own spin on it. And ta-da SWBF.

Game mechanics can't be copyrighted. Stories, worlds, lore, characters, etc can. There is nothing stopping someone from making a Battlefield esque game. So long as they don't call it Battlefield and don't take content from Battlefield.

November 26, 2013, 06:11:10 PM #38 Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 06:32:12 PM by hippox99
Quote from: aeria. on November 26, 2013, 05:59:08 PM
You're completely missing the point I'm trying to tell you.

I'm trying to tell you that DX11.2 is the reason why DICE recommends Windows 8. I'm also telling you why Microsoft would make DX11.2 exclusive to Windows 8.

I'm not expressing my opinions on commercial vs open source software. To be frank, you're assuming that I'm saying we should all buy Windows 8 and support big businesses like Microsoft. Go re-read why I posted earlier. I NEVER said any of that. I am expressing ZERO opinions. In fact I'll make it clear: I prefer Windows 7 over Windows 8. Most of the software I use aside from the OS is open source. I even use OpenOffice for the word processing.

Back to my point: You're being a conspiracy theorist for thinking that Microsoft paid DICE. There's no factual evidence behind it and little pointers to inferring it either.

Well, we'll never know the truth, but such marketing is standard practice, though. If I misread you then I apologize, but you can't blame me for reading between the lines. It is only text, not spoken words which can convey a deeper understanding. I poke and you defend yourself. Now we know better.

Quote from: SleepKiller on November 26, 2013, 06:05:53 PM
You say what if anyone could make a Battlefield game. How do you think SWBF came about? A guy at Pandemic had the idea that Battlefield + SW would equal awesome thus they pitched the idea to LucasArts who thought it was grand. They then made the game while putting there own spin on it. And ta-da SWBF.

Game mechanics can't be copyrighted. Stories, worlds, lore, characters, etc can. There is nothing stopping someone from making a Battlefield esque game. So long as they don't call it Battlefield and don't take content from Battlefield.

Well, I wasn't talking only about mechanics, but also about stories, worlds, lore, characters, etc. Copyright lasts too long and it is just extended when close to running out. That is what I call legalized theft of society.

That's something I can agree with. We won't know the truth.

#TYBG

Quote from: hippox99 on November 26, 2013, 06:11:10 PM
Well, I wasn't talking only about mechanics, but also about stories, worlds, lore, characters, etc. The copyright on Star Wars, for example, would have partially expired by now if not for copyright extensions. At least in the EU. Talk about stealing from society.

The European Union Commission proposed on 16 July 2008 to extend the length of the copyright on recordings to 95 years from 50 years.[1] The European Parliament modified the term in the proposal to 70 years, and passed the modified version on 23 April 2009.[2] The Council of the European Union passed it on 12 September 2011.[3]

From Wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union_70-year_recording_copyright_extension
Stealing from society? Society didn't make the Star Wars. They have zero rights to it in the first place. Copyright laws are in place to protect a creative, to give them a chance to make money off what they've made.

Now you used Star Wars as an example so I will as well. If copyright laws didn't exist how many people would've been deprived of a job by working on something that had to do with Star Wars at some point. How many people wouldn't have been able to feed their families? The answer is probably in the thousands. No small amount of people.

Not everything someone owns is physical. People have a right to there IP and what they want to do with it. If they want to declare it public domain they can. If they don't and want to hold onto the copyright for over hundred years that is there decision and they have a right to.

Just answer me one question. Have you ever made something (A video, short story, mod, simple game, etc) that you've been really pleased with?

November 26, 2013, 07:21:27 PM #41 Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 07:35:03 PM by hippox99
That's just plain wrong. Nobody created themselves out of nothing. You think anybody had an original idea that wasn't influenced by external factors? Society isn't part of you? Such selfish thinking. Did George Lucas create himself? Is he God? Who created God then?

Also, I'm not saying that there shouldn't be ANY copyright, but certainly not like how it is today.

If copyright last too long then I dare say that it puts more people out of a job then it creates jobs for them. How long does copyright last in the USA. 95 years! (if I'm not wrong) That's a staggering number. And who's to say it cannot be extended or laws rewritten?

Edit: Also, you quoted me after my last edit. Not that it matters, but I didn't want to stir up the discussion more. That's why I edited that wiki stuff out.

I have a lot of bad traits (Who doesn't?) but thinking selfishly isn't one of them. Don't judge a person based off a single internet argument.

I have my opinions and have stated them. (I was going to state some more in this post but decided against it.) You have yours and have stated them. Any more off topic posts and I delete them. PM me if you really want to continue.

To be fair, I wasn't saying that about your whole person, but rather the statement of yours that you made. So don't judge me to be that shallow a person, too.

I draw the line here, too, and I wont reply to any more posts about this discussion in this thread.

Public data, and public knowledge are just that, public.  If you don't want your masterpiece copied, then you should dig a hole and bury it.  Nobody ever has the right to violence.  This means all government and silly government laws have no right to exist.

However, as real people, we all realize that there are angry people with weapons that will harm us if we do not follow or at least appear to follow these silly little rules made by silly little old men in suits, that call themselves "government".

Someone stealing ideas, or taking credit for creativity that is not their own, is not a positive thing.  But violence is much worse and nobody ever has or will ever have the right of violence.

As far as any newer games being tied to windows 8 only, I don't think directly or indirectly that any upcoming pc games will be tied to it, as this would limit any game publishers revenue, as so many people are still running Windows 7 and older operating systems.  However it seems newer games that are ram hungry will naturally be limited to 64 bit operating systems to take advantage of more ram.