[SOLVED]Why might a server crash when someone with the same mod installed joins?

Started by Shazam, April 27, 2013, 05:15:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I have been working on my unit for the Battle Royale and it has been going great. It works in SP so I wanted to test its effectiveness against real players. I uploaded the all.lvl and the other person downloaded and installed it. I made a server and whenever they tried to join, the server crashed. I don't have any other non-OC mods installed. Why is the game crashing?

They (and you) will also need the new mission.lvl that calls the new units.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

For now, the unit just replaces the Rebel pilot, so I don't see why I would need a new mission.lvl...

I didn't rename the unit. It's basically just a modified version of the pilot.

-edit:  Sorry. I should've said that before.

Nope. The only thing I changed was the all.lvl, which I installed then uploaded for my tester to download and install as well.

And I went on a public server right afterwards and my game was working just fine.

Maybe he has a different mod in?
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

Quote from: Snake on April 27, 2013, 08:16:48 PM
Maybe he has a different mod in?

He was playing on a public server just before testing with me. He even went into single player and played on it for a while before joining me on my server (when it crashed).

I'll try to re-test it with someone tomorrow on the off-chance something weird happened.

Some mods just crash online. It could be a weapon bug, odf or msh bug. Force lightning crash for me online for rancorland but works in single player. Hard to say without knowing more details.

Quote from: Phobos on April 28, 2013, 02:56:36 PM
Some mods just crash online. It could be a weapon bug, odf or msh bug. Force lightning crash for me online for rancorland but works in single player. Hard to say without knowing more details.

Strangely enough, I figured out what was causing it. It happens at purely random times, but all 5 times that my server has crashed has been right after I attempt to use my 5th weapon. It works great 99% of the time but for some reason it is crashing at random times.

Here's my unit ODF, just in case I did something wrong:
WEAPON SECTION                  = 1
WeaponName = "imp_weap_inf_torpedo_launcher"
WeaponAmmo = 8
WEAPONSECTION = 2
WeaponName = "all_weap_inf_shotgun"
WeaponAmmo = 5
WEAPONSECTION = 3
WeaponName                      = "all_weap_inf_pistol"
WeaponAmmo                      = 0
WEAPONSECTION = 4
WeaponName = "imp_weap_inf_thermaldetonator"
WeaponAmmo = 3
WeaponChannel = 1
WEAPONSECTION = 5
WeaponName = "all_weap_inf_powerup_dispenser"
WeaponAmmo         = 5
WeaponChannel          = 1

Quote from: Shazam on April 28, 2013, 04:51:11 PM
Strangely enough, I figured out what was causing it. It happens at purely random times, but all 5 times that my server has crashed has been right after I attempt to use my 5th weapon. It works great 99% of the time but for some reason it is crashing at random times.
Correct, 5 weapons always crashes online. Fate and I discovered this while testing Jet Wars Era MP compatibility. Because of the 5th weapon not working online was one of the main reason we decided to only make it a SP campaign. I suspect this is due to the fact you are using vehicle ODF commands for unit classlabel ODFs which the EXE is probably 'less tolerant' of for MP.

Pick a weapon to exclude and revert to the  standard 4 weapon format and it should work online (unless there are more bugs lol).

Quote from: Phobos on April 28, 2013, 04:57:49 PM
Correct, 5 weapons always crashes online. Fate and I discovered this while testing Jet Wars Era MP compatibility. Because of the 5th weapon not working online was one of the main reason we decided to only make it a SP campaign. I suspect this is due to the fact you are using vehicle ODF commands for unit classlabel ODFs which the EXE is probably 'less tolerant' of for MP.

Pick a weapon to exclude and revert to the  standard 4 weapon format and it should work online (unless there are more bugs lol).

Oh, wow. Thank you! It would've saved me a lot of headache to know that earlier. Someone should edit the 5 weapon tutourial...