My space map idea ( please read! )

Started by Kit Fisto, August 23, 2012, 08:45:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
So some space maps are pretty good, to name a few hoth escape and perugus space, while others like battle over coruscant make you feel like you are assaulting a ship, but none have hit it just right until NOW!!! Here is my grand, foolproof space map idea that can be applied to either clone wars or galactic civil war. Hear me out.
Here it goes...

There are 2 capital ships across from one another and there are 2 teams. Now swbf has this thing that when the reinforcements go to low, all the AI get out of their vehicles, ( which is another reason I like SWBF1 ) so the question is, how to get around this? How about this: instead of spawning in as a character, you spawn in as a vehicle!!! For example in the clone wars on the republic side you would spawn in as a Jedi Starfighter, a ARC-170 or a V-Wing. Those are the 3 "classes." and they spawn OUTSIDE of the ship in space! So that the AI never stop fighting, or moving because they are already in space and in vehicles which they can't exit!! Also I wanted to address the fact that the AI never actually kill you while dogfighting, take bespin platforms for example, the only thing that kills you while you fly a ship are the turrets! ( excluding running into another ship ) So here is my plan to ingeniously place the Bespin: Platforms turrets on the capital ships so that they can actually KILL you. Place various turrents all across the capital ship and by the critical systems( I'll get to that later ). Then you have LOCALS who are hostile to BOTH TEAMS spawn all across both of the capital ships armed with a fusion cutter and a rocket launcher that fires the xwing torpedoes. ( so that the player can't just fly away from it ) And the local's sole purpose is to build the turrents all across both of the ships, get in them shoot down the ships in space with either the rocket launchers or the turrents. Now on to the critical systems, there will be 3 critical systems on each capital ship, the engines, communications array, and the bridge, which can be destroyed with weapons fire. These "critical systems" act as destructible CPs for either team. Once all are destroyed the victory or defeat timer starts to count down. These will be harder to destroy then other maps even on swbf2 because you will have enemy ships plus the locals firing at you in the turrents and with proton torpedoes! And they will have a considerable amount of health. That is the basic layout of my space map idea.

TO REVIEW THE 5 IMPORTANT  NOTES
1) 2 capital ships with Bespin: Platforms turrents all on top of it
2) spawn in as ships NOT characters 
3) Hostile LOCALS spawn on top both of the capital ships and their sole purpose is to build, and arm the turrents and shoot down either teams ships. They are also armed with proton torpedo launchers. 
4) 3 critical systems ( communications array, engines and the bridge)  on each capital ship. They act as destructible CPs and if all 3 are destroyed will result in a victory or defeat. 
5) I didn't mention it above but, To counter the AI problem you won't be able to access the inside of the capital ships OR be able to exit your vehicle. 

Phew!! So there it is fellow swbf1-ions! I would very much like to hear what you think of it! Please post below! 

Where to begin you just understand too little about how the game works kit. You can't spawn as a vehicle and you can't have true auto turrets. I actually think that single sentence sums it up. Also this would change the gameplay drastically it wouldn't be SWBF anymore.

Here's my take on it.

The things that wouldn't work at all:
Auto-turrets (only works properly in BF2)
Spawning in Vehicles (only works properly in BF2)

A problem you might run into:
Creating correct planning connections and hubs for the flyers so they don't spazz out and fly into their own capital ships.

The things that would work:
-The three destructable parts of the ships that result in either victory or defeat. Leave AI out and you could have a pretty nice multiplayer map with this idea.

Things that I'd leave out:
-The 3rd team

Current Projects:
Battlefront One and a Half Era Mod, v2.0. Making great progress (SWBF)

Quote from: jdee-barc on August 23, 2012, 09:03:46 PM

Spawning in Vehicles (only works properly in BF2)

That doesn't even work properly in SWBFII, I do believe they force players into a vehicle on the player spawning.

In my theory, spawn as vehicle is possible, but it may be useful only for some special maps, like Death Star trench.
So, the vehicles should look's as some flyers (msh), should be locals only, and for real should be recon droids (odf). Also, you should increase theyr hover altitude ofcourse.
Known issue: they can't shoot in correct fire points, and fire from the center of theyr body only, so, more compatable for this may be tie fighters, geonosian fighters, tri-droid fighters, or something like this.
Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf:

Is it possible to make the AI's stop crashing into the capital ships seconds after departing, because I think that would be already a great step forward to SWBFI space maps (and then we don't need to spawn as fighters)?

August 24, 2012, 12:34:37 AM #6 Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 12:40:10 AM by Sereja
Quote from: Mr. Banthafodder on August 24, 2012, 12:20:21 AM
Is it possible to make the AI's stop crashing into the capital ships seconds after departing, because I think that would be already a great step forward to SWBFI space maps (and then we don't need to spawn as fighters)?
Not sure, what are you talking about: one of my unfinished projects (Yavin IV: ocean of storms) is space tipe map. Fightes spawn at capital ships, and leave hangars in well condition (I just decrease altitude of TakeoffHeight). After that, (it may take's hour or more) they are involved in total dog-fight action. Of course, I do not make such things, as landing in enemy hangars, but I think, it is not important for space maps.
Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf:

Quote from: Sereja on August 24, 2012, 12:12:28 AM
In my theory, spawn as vehicle is possible, but it may be useful only for some special maps, like Death Star trench.
So, the vehicles should look's as some flyers (msh), should be locals only, and for real should be recon droids (odf). Also, you should increase theyr hover altitude ofcourse.
Known issue: they can't shoot in correct fire points, and fire from the center of theyr body only, so, more compatable for this may be tie fighters, geonosian fighters, tri-droid fighters, or something like this.
Of course when using vehicle models for infantry their skeletons can get all screwed up sadly.

So would the following things work?
I'm sure, we can already make a pretty good space map then.

-both sides have got pilot and marine class.
-The AI's can enter starfighters, don't crash into their capital ships
-The AI's fly around and try to destroy the key elements of the enemy's capital ship.

Ok first off I did not say auto turrents! I said the Bespin: Platfoms turrents that locals ( like the tuskens ) get into and shoot at the ships. Not auto turrents but hostile local controlled turrents.
Ok so you can't spawn in as ships ( i played a SWBF1 space map where the enemy spawned but I could never find the spawn point for the enemy! I assumed they spawned in as ships ) So simple solution, open up the hanger area and only the hanger area ( not the engine room or anything like that ) and have the ships take off. Then have 1 hostile local continueously spawn inside the hanger to eliminate the AI that don't get in their ships after a certain ammount of time.
And also, I was trying to make this a fun singleplayer map because there aren't really that many of those.
Comprende?

August 24, 2012, 06:59:21 AM #10 Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 07:03:06 AM by SleepKiller
Quote from: kitfisto15678 on August 24, 2012, 06:45:19 AM
Ok first off I did not say auto turrents! I said the Bespin: Platfoms turrents that locals ( like the tuskens ) get into and shoot at the ships. Not auto turrents but hostile local controlled turrents.
Ok so you can't spawn in as ships ( i played a SWBF1 space map where the enemy spawned but I could never find the spawn point for the enemy! I assumed they spawned in as ships ) So simple solution, open up the hanger area and only the hanger area ( not the engine room or anything like that ) and have the ships take off. Then have 1 hostile local continueously spawn inside the hanger to eliminate the AI that don't get in their ships after a certain ammount of time.
And also, I was trying to make this a fun singleplayer map because there aren't really that many of those.
Comprende?
Fisto what you need to understand is SWBF has no scripting, no way to tamper with AI logic they will go to the nearest CP that is all they know. There is no way to say "If they don't get in ship within 60 seconds kill them.". The AI would probably also just ignore the turrets since they would be drawn to the nearest CP that wasn't theirs.

I highly suggest you save up some cash and get a cheap low end PC that can run SWBF. (If it can run SWBF it can run the modtools.) That way you could put your ideas into action. I find it highly unlikely that anyone is really going to give a go at making this. Sorry if it comes across harsh but we all have our own projects we work on in our spare time.

EDIT: Here's a nice refurbished one http://www.amazon.com/Dell-D620-Laptop-Core-Windows/dp/B001U5617K/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1345816800&sr=1-1 You could set it to be your savings goal and before you know it you could be making mods!

Quote from: kitfisto15678 on August 24, 2012, 06:45:19 AM
Ok so you can't spawn in as ships ( i played a SWBF1 space map where the enemy spawned but I could never find the spawn point for the enemy! I assumed they spawned in as ships )

Oh I may have an idea of what map you were playing, was it the space map from the Naboo Invasion pack by gogo12? [spoiler]Because you can only spawn as CIS and he designed the map to make it look like the naboo ships were lifting off from the planet by themselves from your perspective. What really happens is that the naboo pilots spawn in their little "planet (just a long stretch of blue covering where the ground is in a map), get in to their ships, and take off. It's an impressive design.[/spoiler]
Current Projects:
Battlefront One and a Half Era Mod, v2.0. Making great progress (SWBF)

In the second line, he said  "foolproof"   I take it he wants to be a fool? xD
I like TeH idea. But some of it sounds impossible.

Quote from: RepublicCommando on August 24, 2012, 10:42:20 AM
In the second line, he said  "foolproof"   I take it he wants to be a fool?
What are you trying to say?  :mad:

Wow. My idea seems pretty stupid to everyone but me I guess. It wasn't meant to be a request, just an idea. I guess I'll stop coming up with ideas since everyone just hates on me.

Quote from: kitfisto15678 on August 24, 2012, 05:27:41 PM
What are you trying to say?  :mad:

Wow. My idea seems pretty stupid to everyone but me I guess. It wasn't meant to be a request, just an idea. I guess I'll stop coming up with ideas since everyone just hates on me.
It doesn't seem stupid. Just not possible to do in SWBF1.