[HELP] Side.lvl Modding

Started by Shazam, July 02, 2012, 10:28:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
July 02, 2012, 10:28:31 AM Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 10:58:45 AM by ✫Şђã·Żäм✫
I mod the side lvl's alot, and I have recently had some trouble with it. I have edited my ODFs and my TGAs, but when I munge them my ODFs work and are changed, and my skins are changed, but the skins are completely white with no color. I double-checked my mission.lvl to make sure I named the TGAs right, but they still won't work.

Any clue?  :confused:

EDIT: In the past I just edited the premade TGAs and saved them. This time I downloaded different skins and was going to mix-and-match them to my liking, but like I said, they won't work.

Also, my SWBFviewer doesn't work or something. When I go to a TGA that I know works and try to view it with it, it shows complete white skin. I get errors when I try to click on any of the MSHs on the sidebar.
--
On another note, could someone please upload some skin assets for me?
I want:
-The *FIXED* Crazy CIS Droids skins by cull. The fixed version was made because the guns would be held strait up in the air, rather than at their side or in front of them.
-SKs blue rebel pilot, used in the duel map
-Unit 33's grey/black vanguard
-Shadow Trooper (rebel marksman) *Could this be used as any other class rather than marksman with a change of the TGAs name?

Thanks! :happy:

Usually that happens when the RLE compression is turned on.... did you check that?

July 02, 2012, 11:20:47 AM #2 Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 11:24:45 AM by ✫Şђã·Żäм✫
Nope. Never do.  :wacko:

I know how to save it correctly, as far as I know.
-You don't use RLE compression
-Save as tga
-Don't merge layers

Is there anything else that could be wrong?

EDIT: I'm gong to double-check from now on about RLE compression. I could've done that on accident.

I've never heard of anyone calling on TGA through a mission.lvl that could be your problem.

July 02, 2012, 11:31:35 AM #4 Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 11:39:13 AM by ✫Şђã·Żäм✫
Buckler told me through xfire to check my mission.lvl's map files to see which TGAs and MSHs it used, since some TGAs are named funky, like how rep_inf_pilot is a sniper, not the pilot. And how rep_inf_sharpshooter and rep_arc_red are the same units, but only rep_inf_sharpshooter is used.
--
    AddUnitClass(REP, "rep_inf_clone_trooper",11)
    AddUnitClass(REP, "rep_inf_arc_trooper",3)
    AddUnitClass(REP, "rep_inf_clone_pilot",4)
    AddUnitClass(REP, "rep_inf_clone_sharpshooter",4)
    AddUnitClass(REP, "rep_inf_jet_trooper",3)
--
But, many of those aren't even in the MSH or TGA. They are named similar, but not the same. For instance: the rep_inf_htrooper isn't named rep_inf_jet_trooper. Also, the rep_inf_sharpshooter isn't named rep_inf_clone_sharpshooter.

What would I need to check to make sure my MSH and TGAs are named correctly? The ODF? 'Cause the ODFs are easier to understand which class information they contain. (Unlike the TGAs)

I have no idea what's going on makes no sense sorry. The mission.lvl does not call on TGA or MSH files just ODF.

Yeah, that's what I thought too. Maybe I just misunderstood Led on xfire, or he misunderstood me. Would I need to check the ODF line:
GeometryName       = "rep_inf_trooper.msh"

That is the exact name it will "look for" in the MSHs to read for the skin, correct?

In one of the "Geometry name"s you don't need the ".msh" part.

GeometryName       = "rep_inf_trooper"

You got them the right way round right?

July 02, 2012, 11:49:08 AM #8 Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 12:44:19 PM by ✫Şђã·Żäм✫
All of my ODFs have .msh after the Geometry name. I haven't changed those, it was like that when I downloaded.

Now I am very confused...
--
EDIT: I will be modding my sides tomorrow, hopefully it works. All I need, for now, is the assets for the things I posted above.

Thanks for all the help. :happy:

You asked me what unit was the rebel pilot.  I said, look in the map lua to see the name of the unit that is called up in the pilot slot. 

That munged unit will be associate with an MSH (model) file, and inside the MSH is the name of a TGA skin file that is used.

Quote from: ✫Şђã·Żäм✫ on July 02, 2012, 11:31:35 AM
Buckler told me through xfire to check my mission.lvl's map files to see which TGAs and MSHs it used, since some TGAs are named funky, like how rep_inf_pilot is a sniper, not the pilot. And how rep_inf_sharpshooter and rep_arc_red are the same units, but only rep_inf_sharpshooter is used.
--
    AddUnitClass(REP, "rep_inf_clone_trooper",11)
    AddUnitClass(REP, "rep_inf_arc_trooper",3)
    AddUnitClass(REP, "rep_inf_clone_pilot",4)
    AddUnitClass(REP, "rep_inf_clone_sharpshooter",4)
    AddUnitClass(REP, "rep_inf_jet_trooper",3)
--
But, many of those aren't even in the MSH or TGA. They are named similar, but not the same. For instance: the rep_inf_htrooper isn't named rep_inf_jet_trooper. Also, the rep_inf_sharpshooter isn't named rep_inf_clone_sharpshooter.

What would I need to check to make sure my MSH and TGAs are named correctly? The ODF? 'Cause the ODFs are easier to understand which class information they contain. (Unlike the TGAs)
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

I think I know what I did wrong for it. Sorry for my misconception on xfire.
Quote from: ✫Şђã·Żäм✫ on July 02, 2012, 10:28:31 AM
I want:
-The *FIXED* Crazy CIS Droids skins by cull. The fixed version was made because the guns would be held strait up in the air, rather than at their side or in front of them.
-Shadow Trooper (rebel marksman) *Could this be used as any other class rather than marksman with a change of the TGAs name?

Please link or attach them if you know where any of these are.

Ok look here is how it works the mission LUA calls upon the ODF unit name which is stored in the side.lvls. Each unit ODF calls on a unique model (msh). The GeometryName value is called upon twice. The first time it is called on you must have the .msh extension after the name. The second time you must not have the .msh extension. Finally, the msh file itself calls on specific TGA names which can be seen with mesh viewer or hex editor. To change which tga the msh calls on you must hex edit the msh. Also, the ODF command OverrideTexture will take an additoinal TGA and wrap it over the original msh, replacining the original TGA.

So LUA calls on ODF, ODF calls on MSH, and MSH calls on TGA except for when you use OverrideTexture, then its the ODF calling the TGA. Hopefully this makes sense its the best way I can explain it.

I understand now. Thank you Phobos.

For the fourth time...
Quote from: ✫Şђã·Żäм✫ on July 02, 2012, 10:28:31 AM
I want:

Please...  :wave:

Shadow troopers skins were released, SK never released his blue rebel skins, i just don't know about the others.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Ok, Ill look for the Shadow Troopers. Perhaps I will have to make my own version of the blue pilot. I will ask Unit about the Vanguard.

Ty Buckler.  :happy: