Question: mac skinning

Started by Kit Fisto, June 12, 2012, 06:21:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I read somewhere that a mac user can make skins. But they can't munge or something like that they, would have to send it to a PC user. Is it possible to skin on a mac? ( I have 10.5.8 )

June 12, 2012, 06:22:27 PM #1 Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 06:25:00 PM by Buckler
you can paint the TGA files that are for skins, but you would need a PC person to do the munge process to make the side lvl file.

See below for a link in sleepkiller post to GIMP for mac.

Quote from: SleepKiller on June 12, 2012, 06:23:09 PM
Sniped by Led...

heh :)
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

How do i paint them? ( i have downloaded the BFbuilder tools btw )
I downloaded gimp. now what

Look at my post, it should be able to handle TGA files.

how do i access the tga files?

And be ABSOLUTELY sure that you save the file with RLE compression TURNED OFF  :cheers:

just painting the skins may not be very rewarding without seeing the product on the unit.

The TGA file is just a flat picture that gets mapped and wrapped to the 3-D model.

You really need to get even a very inexpensive PC, in my opinion.  Ask relatives to look in their closet for an old laptop or desktop that you can borrow.

Quote from: kitfisto15678 on June 12, 2012, 06:27:54 PM
you just quoted yourself. ;)

If you cant figure out how to load a TGA file into gimp, we are not going to be able to help you with much of anything.  You can obviously use a keyboard.  That little funny thing next to the keyboard is called a "mouse".  Use it to explore these things called "menues".   ;)

And, I think he knows that he quoted himself. :)

i meant where do i FIND the tga file? in the mod tools?

Assets>Sides>*SIDENAEMHERE*>MSH>*.tga

OK i found it. I'm gonna try a simple skin on the clone. Could I pm it to someone then they could munge it for me real quick and make it into a side mod just so I can see how it looks? I want to get real good at it. Who can I pm it too?

Wouldn't have to munge it to see what it looks like. A PC user can simply open it (with the .msh) in "msh Viewer" and send you some screenshots.
Munging takes time, you can save that time by ironing out details with the help of msh Viewer.
Perhaps you could attach/upload your skins into this thread.