Many levels in map

Started by jojo3450, April 09, 2016, 11:24:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Is there a way to have multiple levels or floors on a map with different lay outs?
For example if I want to create a building with multiple floor lay outs on top of each other is there a way to still put barriers so the AI knows where to walk?

The mod tools documentation states that AI pathing can only be one level.  I don't know if there are any tricks around this, but I don't think there are.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

There are methods to rick the AI to ascend or descend using ramps or stairs, but otherwise they do not understand the three dimensional plane.

So here's an example I made to explain how you might achieve levels:

An example of the stock game doing this would be CC. The paths are simple, but happen to follow ramps causing the bots to ascend and descend, but importantly, the paths do not cross over themselves...

April 11, 2016, 11:42:02 AM #3 Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 11:45:01 AM by Phobos
Quote from: jojo3450 on April 09, 2016, 11:24:49 PM
Is there a way to have multiple levels or floors on a map with different lay outs?
For example if I want to create a building with multiple floor lay outs on top of each other is there a way to still put barriers so the AI knows where to walk?
SWBF is limited to 2D AI pathing, but there are tricks as Unit 33 explained. A map designed like a hotel would be much less practical than say a pyramid. To understand this better look at the pathing design of cloud city in zeroeditor. This is why I had to build the upstairs and basement on NOTLD in a certain way that didn't overlap with the ground level. This shows the AI pathing and barriers used on NOTLD:
http://nld.fcsite.ml/zeroeditor.png

AI pathing is represented by green circles, which are called Hubs, and the white lines connecting them. AI travel to command posts by following hubs and avoiding barriers, so make sure the barriers do not intersect pathing connections. Barriers are invisible walls used to define where AI should not travel. They are shown as green rectangles in zeroeditor and should be placed directly over building walls. Once the pathing and barriers is built you can add hintnodes as explained here http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=8424

Once i made planing for AIs on a 3 level building.I put the planing paths on top of each other and it worked.The problem is that its very hard to connect the planing with each other because you accidently may click on some of the previous (already connected) paths and this may end bad.But i am sure its working.The AI dont care too much.The connection paths in this case are important.

Quote from: Ginev on April 16, 2016, 10:50:55 AM
Once i made planing for AIs on a 3 level building.I put the planing paths on top of each other and it worked.The problem is that its very hard to connect the planing with each other because you accidently may click on some of the previous (already connected) paths and this may end bad.But i am sure its working.The AI dont care too much.The connection paths in this case are important.

This is pretty much true. I've had bad experiences trying to do this though because if you have a lot of hubs in a small area it is VERY difficult to differentiate which connections go to which hubs and it just becomes a mess. I will say it DOES work, but it's not ideal. I'd avoid it unless you have no good alternative.
"Birth, pain, fear, death; the cycle of existence." -Dread Master Calphayus.

SWBF1 Maps: Tatooine: Mos Anek, Kashyyyk: Village, Naboo: Province, Tatooine: Gulch.

SWBF2 Maps: Space Carida.