Acceptable tri count?

Started by tab328, December 19, 2016, 01:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I was curious as to what's the general limit I should stick to whilst modelling characters for SWBF1. The average seems to be ~1800, with the droideka topping off at ~2800. Does anybody know effects (if any) exceeding a 3k tri count would cause? EG: extreme difficulty munging, or slowing down the game itself, or just depending on the computer.

I suppose my main question is how many tris have you other modellers gotten away with?

In other news, once I've imported an msh, if i select something, xsi crashes. Any ideas there?

As a rule of thumb, I go by the following:

-Soldier units (you'll have the most of these on the field): up to 2000 polys.
-Other units (Sniper, Engineer, Assault, Special etc): up to 2500.
-Heroes: Up to 3000.
-Vehicles: This isn't as restrictive. My SWBFIII AT-AT conversion is 14000+ polys.

Be aware that SWBF1 is not optimized very well for PCs. Even lower-end poly models will cause flipouts to low-res models if there are too many of them on the map at once. Nobody has been able to, or even been willing to (aside from myself, but that's where my ability ends - with willing) try and increase the model memory for the PC version.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)
--Endor: Imperial Base

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1

Quote from: Gistech on December 20, 2016, 03:40:32 PM
As a rule of thumb, I go by the following:

-Soldier units (you'll have the most of these on the field): up to 2000 polys.
-Other units (Sniper, Engineer, Assault, Special etc): up to 2500.
-Heroes: Up to 3000.
-Vehicles: This isn't as restrictive. My SWBFIII AT-AT conversion is 14000+ polys.

Be aware that SWBF1 is not optimized very well for PCs. Even lower-end poly models will cause flipouts to low-res models if there are too many of them on the map at once. Nobody has been able to, or even been willing to (aside from myself, but that's where my ability ends - with willing) try and increase the model memory for the PC version.

Awesome! Thanks, I'll keep those in mind.

Now when you say increasing model memory has been something only you're willing to do, but unable, I assume I should leave that for you more experienced people while I try to figure out XSI's wizardry and such.

Something like that, yeah. It's to do with altering the program, which nobody left in the SWBF1 modding community seems able to do. There are a few people who would have been able to do this, but they left the community a long time ago, and we are not allowed to have the source code for the game.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)
--Endor: Imperial Base

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1

Ah, I see. Thanks again for the info! :tu: Now I'm off to (attempt to) make my first map now... *insert scoffs*