How can i convert a character model from .obj to .msh?

Started by i2Bros, August 28, 2016, 11:10:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
I'm still a newbie with XSI and ZE tools, so since i downloaded a bunch of models and i don't want to bother anyone asking to covert them for me can you please tell me how i can do? I read something on the forum but I still don't know a thing. I would apreciate a lot if you give me a very easy and clear tutorial on how to do this.
P.S. i tried to render a pre-rendered .msh but XSI crashed telling me the material was wrong. There's another program i can use out there?
"Come on, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?"
- Lieutenant Rasczak speaking to the Roughnecks troopers

Seems ZETools can't import any materials from converted other than .msh format models. It's easy to fix. Create a Null, then create some primitive like a cube. Add needed material to cube by usual way. Put the cube and converted model under the same Null. Make sure the Null selected. Click to Model violet theme and change it to the Render blue theme. Under Modifi panel click Materials. In pop-up window, at the left side click on small plus under each model to make material tree open. Drag material from cube to converted model. Close pop-up window. That's it.
Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf:

Quote from: Sereja on August 28, 2016, 11:56:04 AM
Seems ZETools can't import any materials from converted other than .msh format models. It's easy to fix. Create a Null, then create some primitive like a cube. Add needed material to cube by usual way. Put the cube and converted model under the same Null. Make sure the Null selected. Click to Model violet theme and change it to the Render blue theme. Under Modifi panel click Materials. In pop-up window, at the left side click on small plus under each model to make material tree open. Drag material from cube to converted model. Close pop-up window. That's it.
thank you, but how can i create a msh from scratch? how can i rig a character?

Well it can take you alot of months even a year to learn how to make a model in xsi and any other 3d modeling program.This is how i am doing it.Since the first program i learned was Wings3d (Free program) i started making my models there then i import them into Xsi and export them as msh.

Quote from: Ginev on August 30, 2016, 03:58:29 AM
Well it can take you alot of months even a year to learn how to make a model in xsi and any other 3d modeling program.This is how i am doing it.Since the first program i learned was Wings3d (Free program) i started making my models there then i import them into Xsi and export them as msh.
Why there's no ZE tools addon for 3D Autodesk?

Because as far as i know the creators of battlefront were using XSI Softimage and thats why there they made the plugin?By the way did you tryed the Wings3D tutorial i gave you before some time or you did not understand some part?

sorry i lost it don't kill me. :slap: btw I have already downloaded wings3D ;)

This is the tutorial again:

1.Download Wings3d program.Its very simple (free) modeling program.Find it on internet.

2.When yuo install it,open it.Click on the left upper corner import/obj or 3ds and import your obj/3ds model.

3.You probably will need to rescale your model before add it to the Battlefront game so get meshtool and import for example the rep_inf_trooper into obj file.Go back to the Wings3d (with your model imported there) and then again click import and add the obj trooper.Now you can see how your much you have to scale up or down it.

4.When you are ready delete the trooper.Then select the entire model (need to become red) then click tool from the upper menu and click magnet mask.Then click again tool click freeze.

5.Click File/export/vrml2   (vrml2 is file format)

6.Then add the textures in the folder where is your vrml2 file

7.Open with wordpad or notepad your vrml2 folder and press ctr+F

8.In the popup window type    image

9.Then press enter and it will take you to a part where is your texture.

10.delete the entire section for the texture.Leave ONLY the NAME.tga

11.If you have more than 1 texture for this model again press ctr+F and hit again enter.

12.When you edit the texture section save the file and exit it.

13.Now open Msh viewer and dont try to open your vrml2 file.Just grab it with your mouse and drop it inside the msh viewer.

14.When your model appear inside click File/save as and save like msh file.

and...15.If you hav questions PM me

Thank you a lot Ginev, and what about just removing some parts from the msh, for example backpacks, pauldrons and other details? And how can I take those parts and turn them in msh addons?

That is more advanced thing that it wont work with the Wings3d method i showed you.That will require probably XSI.I havent tryed that yet.