Upload mods/maps to file front?

Started by Kit Fisto, November 10, 2012, 07:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Kit Fisto on November 11, 2012, 10:42:33 PM
EDIT: would I be doing something wrong if I put for example scum/strike Mustafar on file front?
Yes you would. You haven't permission. Or something.

November 11, 2012, 11:55:34 PM #16 Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 11:58:16 PM by tirpider
It's an established thing that you don't just take files from one host to another.
You need the content creator's and/or the file host's permission.

It may seem silly, but it's still somone's work, and they hosted it in certain places for thier own reasons.

A example might be to start hosting Microsoft files without a license.  Things would get real very quickly and wouldn't end well for the host or poster.

As modders, we don't have a legal department to back us, but a general understanding of respect for the content creator's wishes for content control, and the files host's right(and responsibility) to control what happens to thier data.

It is just a matter of respect in the modding community. It is just one of those unspoken rules we follow. We don't actually own anything we make so legally one could go and do whatever they wanted to another persons mod without there consent. However you would destroy any respect people had for you and most likely get yourself banned from the sites you posted said mod to if you had claimed it as your own. Uploading something without permission well it wouldn't be that drastic but the file would still most likely be deleted by the site owner.

Ok thanks for the info. What is I tell them on file front in a README or something saying we have for example Mustafar and gave them the link in the README?

If you wanted to encourage more visitors here (although I think numbers are up by a few 100% recently :) ) you could always post on forums like lucasarts, lucas files, moddb (?) with a quick summary or review of new mods here and a link to download them.
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

I was thinking, how about we make a video showcasing all the recent mods/maps that we have here, I can upload it to my youtube and to filefront and to gametoast and watch the visitors come and join our community! Sound cool to anyone?

Kit, I can't stop you from uploading to filefront.  However, that is the wrong direction to move things.  They are not a stable file hosting platform.  And, as much stuff as they have, they can not even keep SWBF2 and SWBF straight.

We only have what we have here because some of us were able to capture filefront, megaupaload, media-fire, gametoast, skydrive, etc. etc. files and ask the authors for permission to host them here.  Many of those places have given up their bits and bytes to the ether.  They live here because I back things up and run a simple website.

My suggestion--don't do it.  Make people come here instead.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Quote from: Buckler on November 12, 2012, 01:22:59 PM
Kit, I can't stop you from uploading to filefront.  However, that is the wrong direction to move things.  They are not a stable file hosting platform.  And, as much stuff as they have, they can not even keep SWBF2 and SWBF straight.

We only have what we have here because some of us were able to capture filefront, megaupaload, media-fire, gametoast, skydrive, etc. etc. files and ask the authors for permission to host them here.  Many of those places have given up their bits and bytes to the ether.  They live here because I back things up and run a simple website.

My suggestion--don't do it.  Make people come here instead.
Alright I won't upload anymore stuff to that website. Maybe we could do this then?
Quote from: Kit Fisto on November 12, 2012, 01:19:58 PM
I was thinking, how about we make a video showcasing all the recent mods/maps that we have here, I can upload it to my youtube and to filefront and to gametoast and watch the visitors come and join our community! Sound cool to anyone?

Well I can't make the video!  :happy: I was saying make it a commutniy effort and then at the end say like
"All of these mods, maps, and more only available at swbfgamers.com! Register today."
All the while with epic music! :cheer:

Eck no offence but you expect people to watch that kind of thing? Time to think more serious and professionally Kit. Also are you sure your not trying to hard you never see GameToast advertising and we haven't exactly done it before but we still continue to grow in our member base. 

I guess you are right. Well......

To everyone: I will no longer upload your map/mods to filefront.
Hopefully the website keywords do their duty!  :)

dude filefront even deleted battlebelks stuff its a good concept how they have their websites formatted but data integrity is far more important

November 12, 2012, 02:30:02 PM #28 Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 02:33:39 PM by Hardcore
One thing to really consider before doing anything like that, is many sites don't allow people to advertise other websites on there own. Its quite rude really to go to a site like gametoast who does modding for the SW series (even if its mostly SWBF2) and try to take its user base.... building a community is very hard really, it takes alot of time, dedication, and money to keep this site up and running from the very Start Zak, Weili, Jedikiller and Buckler put in more hours then some of us have even played SWBF to make this community what it is.

And I wouldn't like it if someone came here saying "come check out this other great SW modding site" its a slight to the community and the people who built it.

Getting mods out there for other people to enjoy is great, and generally speaking most Modders do it well enough themselves and if they can't they find someone who can help them.

Realistically advertisements will help very little, swbfgamers already has over 50% of the community for all of SWBF1 in any community having that much of the userbase on the site is huge, so it means swbfgamers is already doing it right and people find this place via word of mouth, google, and maybe a couple from a readme file in a mod.

Videos can be great....i personally love watching commentators and gameplay videos for other games and wouldn't mind seeing some for SWBF.
QuoteSow the wind and reap the whirlwind
Through the rain and through the shine
Only something with a meaning can stand the test of time

February 02, 2013, 03:22:28 PM #29 Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 03:32:26 PM by Buckler
Now I know this is a big bump but I have something to say about filefront.

edit by Buckler:  thanks for your thoughts, I have a few things to say about filefront too.