[solved]MSH format questions

Started by RepComm, March 09, 2013, 06:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
March 09, 2013, 06:02:45 PM Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 03:31:38 AM by tirpider
Well, I found some freeware on the net, Wings3D, many people may know of it, it converts to very many formats, you can get plugins that will let you export to different formats of 3D models, you can import just the same.

I found a plugin that exports as *.msh and I was like "Sweet, screw XSI!"
But alas, I checked the exported file in notepad, and it's almost the same as Wavefront OBJ...

So apparently, there are at least 2 MSH formats, Orbiter MSH (nothing special) and SWBF format, the questions are;
Is SWBF style .msh known outside of swbf system? What other programs/games use this MSH besides Starwars related games? And is the file closely related to .wrl format model?

(Btw, Wings will export and load wrl files, and it's a neat program to have)

edit by tirpider: tagged title

Read up on it. http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=3905.0 Of course ANDEWEGET's site is better for reading up on it, but I don''t have a link to it handy.

Anyway as far as I know the .msh format used by Zero and later by SWBF was created by Pandemic and is not used in any other games.

SW Clone Wars, assets, also was in .msh format, but I am not sure: they cud be just converted, from those game, or released as it is...
Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf:

Wow, good reading there from Tirps^^

I am rather disappointed that the MSH format isn't a global standard format for all 3 Dimensional games...
Funny how something rather brilliant can be created, and then it just collects dust...

I noticed that Wings engine won't import wrl like I said before.. And since MSH is different form than Zero's, it's a bit pointless, but it has a nice UVmapper built into it, so thats good if you have an assortment of model formats and want to re-skin or just skin them.

And SWBF Viewer doesn't import wrl for some reason... Thats a bit sad, as of I could create prop files in GS8 export them into OBJ or DAE, import and properly UVmap them with Wings, export wrl into SWBFviewer and convert to a prop MSH file...
(Maybe it's over kill for some people, but I honestly can't stand XSI :/)
Is there a version of SWBF Viewer that can still import wrl and export MSH?

Ande's Site : http://ande.pytalhost.eu/

Many games use the extension "msh", but it's just an extension. The guts are different for all of them.

The TCW assets that were released are the only msh files I have found with the same basic structure and conventions as the one we see in SWBF.
(I am exploring it's structure to see how much is convertable and compatible with SWBF for my program.)

Very few programs exist for handling msh files as we know them. 

The only exporter for a modeling package (that I know of) is ZETools for XSI's SoftImage ModTools.

If you can get a msh saved as a VRML97 (wrl) file, then the viewer can save it as a msh.  (Static msh files only, all "bones" for animation are lost in the wrl export process.)

WRL is nothing like the msh file format.  It has places for vertecies and edges and such, but the way the file is written is completely different.  (If I remember correctly, wrl files are basicly text. You should be able to open them in notepad.)

Re: Viewer compatible wrl files.
It seems everybody that touches VRML puts their own spin on it. So not all wrl files (even from the same spec) are created equal.

Milkshape3d has a VRML97 exporter that is compatible with the msh viewer.
You will need to tell it to export vertex normals, though. (it's a check box on the export popup.)

So is there a link to the viewer you use to open vrml anywhere? For some reason, the one I have just doesn't open anything except .MSH, and no import other files option anywhere.

March 09, 2013, 07:12:47 PM #6 Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 07:14:46 PM by tirpider
It's the same viewer from the downloads here.

You have to drag the wrl file onto the viewer window. Then "Save" from the menu.

It also has an "export" option that will save whatever msh is loaded as a wrl.

-edit
heh, you have to be patient and forgiving with a lot of the tools used to handle SWBF msh files, as they are written by folks that may not be the best programmers. (like me) hehe

Quote from: tirpider on March 09, 2013, 07:12:47 PM
It's the same viewer from the downloads here.

You have to drag the wrl file onto the viewer window. Then "Save" from the menu.

It also has an "export" option that will save whatever msh is loaded as a wrl.
Oh, thats how that works
Forgive my stupidity :XD:

Nothing to forgive.
I think it's written in the read me, but I found out via a forum post as well.

March 09, 2013, 08:20:32 PM #9 Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 08:25:10 PM by -RepublicCommando-
Well, I got ablity to convert my OBJ or DAE to MSH in a mere few seconds!
Only problem is, I never get textures in SWBF Viewer, and I don't see reference to .tga in HexEditor or Notepad with the MSH file.

Supposedly I could make prop models and buildings, but I have no clue about what the collisions would be like, and I am most certain it will be all white or black because of no texture.

Strange, Wings3D reads the OBJ's MTL (material) file that is exported from GoogleSketchup, but doesn't seem to write any of that data into the wrl, and then SWBF Viewer just converts it to MSH without textures as well.

I will continue to work on this, and update this every time I find something. (may be weeks at a time though, lots of stuff to do you know :P)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I will be releasing building models, and maybe taking requestions from people that know what they are talking about, so if you want a model done for a prop or building in OBJ, DAE, or WRL, shoot me a PM, and I can hook you up with some models, as for converting them for what you want is up to you.

Example of my work in Google Sketchup8 (viewed in Wings) And Yes, I made that from scratch.

March 09, 2013, 08:52:00 PM #10 Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 10:23:23 PM by tirpider
Nice and super groovy!

I'm installing wings to see if I can find some material controls that may help.

-edit7 (there was a wall of text here, but I accidentalied it.)

I found a lot of things, but the one related to textures is this.

It's exporting the texture names with a full path.
texture ImageTexture { url "d:/TEMP/SpidertoWRL/engineflare1.jpg" }

Just find the ImageTexture lines in the wrl (it will load into any txt editor) and remove the path stuff before dropping it on the viewer.
texture ImageTexture { url "engineflare1.tga" }

Also, if you change the extension to tga, be sure there are tga files in the folder with the wrl, otherwise the msh viewer won't find them and will throw it's hands in the air in frustration.

Neato program you found there, RC.  Lots of features that aren't in MS3D, but I find it's material handling to be obtuse.

March 10, 2013, 12:28:49 PM #11 Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 09:18:06 AM by -RepublicCommando-
Thanks Tirpider!
Yes, it is a bit hard to get around, but it didn't take me long to learn it, almost all the programs I use are that way, so it's easier for me :P
Can't wait to get some new buildings into BF!