Mobile GPUs

Started by Jedikiller, December 12, 2009, 11:21:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hey hardware people-

I was looking into purchasing myself a laptop that I can carry around with me that would play games on it. Unfortunately, the mobile GPU labeling system does not accurately reflect their power, as a card with the same number is different for desktops and laptops.

Also, I don't know what are good laptop brands- any suggestions? Under $1000?

Thanks!

(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿"" (-_-*)

December 12, 2009, 07:41:39 PM #1 Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 07:45:17 PM by Voldelf
Good laptops are such a black bag.  It really depends on what you want. Is gaming your only requirement? Also how are you with delicates?

Note: this isn't perfect, but just taking a quick skim: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834114785

Delicates, like small/fragile? I'm fine with them, although I would like a large enough screen to actually see what I'm doing.

Gaming pretty much is my only requirement. I figure if it can run games at good settings, then I don't really need to specify anything else... I might do some graphic work on it later on in my school career, which would require a decent vid card, but that would already be covered with gaming, wouldn't it?

i just like quad core cpus. they both require the same amount of watts.

I somewhat agree with red.  If it was a mac- the quad core does a lot b/c they greatly optomize the spreading out of work across all cores.  In my experience, its much less so on the pc.  Go w/ the dual cores cause they're generally cheaper and like red said, for gaming you don't need 4 cores.

December 13, 2009, 10:13:40 PM #7 Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 10:37:12 PM by keenmike
to bad do it your self notebooks cant have two gpus.

Uh, OK. On topic- I'm going to try to get the one that Voldelf posted. Will this run at comparable speeds to my current desktop rig, which can be found by clicking on the Xfire bar in my signature? Are there any problems with this brand? Any cheaper comparable alternatives that I have missed?

Thanks much for your help, guys.

i will be watching sli notebooks. thanks red, cool picture, i found a diy with sli option soon after i posted the to bad reply. it would be cool if jedikiller could have a notebook with sli gpu near 1000 dollars. every time i find a notebook with a video card it is missing either the GTS or over 1000. Voldelfs' 9800M GTS find is cool.

@ reds 250 gb HD drive: what's the point?  Unless I wasn't Paying enough attention and there are many other perks.

I think the tradeoff between the gpu/CPU would be better w/ the Better gpu, but that could be just me

thanks red, your search filter provides one possibility. the ASUS N81 Series N81Vp-D2 NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo T9600(2.80GHz) 14" 4GB Memory 320GB HDD 7200rpm DVD Super Multi ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 says it comes with a ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 gpu. the cool thing about this choice is two out of three reviews in newegg say it comes with a ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670. higher cpu, and when compared to the
GeForce-9800M-GTX less power Consumption. what do you think about the screen size jedikiller?

Obviously i'm not speaking for jk.  But it is a bit power-thirsty, but when gaming this isn't an issue cause your gonna be plugged in anyways, am i right?

Yes, I did. That is my maximum budget. I cannot go over that... it's just not feasible.

If you have suggestions under that, please post them. If not, then please do not. Thanks. :)