Battlefront Mod Tools

Started by Dark_Phantom, June 24, 2012, 07:45:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hello all.
I think this is where I'm supposed to put this...
I'm an average (at best) modder. I learned how to do some basic Hex Editing and that's pretty much the extent of any useful modding if I could ever host a server on dialup, but I do it for fun for myself though. I've never really worked with the 1.2 Mod Tools that much until recently. I decided to try using them.  I used them on 1.2, they work obviously.  But on 1.0 it is very... curious.  I used the Common.lvl builder, noting that because of the differences it probably would not work.  Start the game... nothing happens out of the ordinary. 
I tried the Mission.lvl builder, thinking that it may work because they are almost (if not exactly) the same. Knowing that the mission.lvl did work in 1.2, I wanted to try in 1.0. When I place my munged mission.lvl in my folder and just replace it, it's exactly the same as before I used the builder.  So I copied both files back in, checked my custom one (named mission(2)), and then deleted my original.  I closed and reopened my mission file and it was good.  I go ingame... same as before.  I then renamed my custom and checked it... and it went back to the original.  I have also done this with the Side builder.
In the past I've tried to copy my Hex Edited bes2.lvl to my laptop because it was a pain to get it how I liked it, and it reverted to original ingame also.
I know how to Hex Edit to do some of the stuff these builders can do with it, and it will stay intact when I do that on 1.0, but I'm trying to help some of my (few) fellow modders on 1.0, and this would make it much easier if this could be figured out.  So "Just use 1.2" is not an option.
Thanks!
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

June 24, 2012, 07:59:34 PM #1 Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 08:08:04 PM by Buckler
The mod tools can be used for both (all) versions of the game.  What you will not be able to take advantage of are maps placed in the addon folder (since 1.0 does not support it).

There are some slight differences in side.lvl files (such as rep.lvl).  I think the clone jet recharge rate is faster in 1.0 and the dark trooper recharge rate is slower in 1.0.  However, it is the server that controls those things.  So if the server has the 1.0 side lvl files, then you will not be able to see a difference.

But there are a lot of mods that you can make.  Play as tuskens on Dune Sea (mission.lvl mod).  We have an entire forum on server side mods:  http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=4279.0

You can edit shipped maps, and change the lighting, sky, etc.

There are even ways you can have people use new maps without Addon:  http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?board=72.0

The only thing that you can't change in 1.0 is the exe file.  That means the net code, vote booting, etc.

So, I think it is worth your time to use the mod tools.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

But what is puzzling me is that I used them, and they work great on 1.2, so I wanted to see if they would on 1.0.  But they don't for me.  I put my new mission file in there and... I'm stuck with my same old mission file (which I Hex Edited already but I tried the other builders on ones that I didn't Hex edit so I know that's not the reason).
I know how to do the Tusken Raider thing through Hex, one of my favourite snapshots I ever got was on Cloud City with Ewoks with Blaster Rifles. So I can do something, just wish it was easier.
By the way, if I ever (not really with dialup...) hosted a server, I know the clients joining the server would read my mission and bes2 files, but would it respond to something like a Ewok-Empire server?
I'll check for answer in morning.
Thanks!

'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

What I'm saying is that the mod tools are not for 1.2, they are for SWBF.

You should not expect a difference in the mission.lvl file, unless you change it some how.

The mission.lvl files *are* the same. 

What are you expecting to be different?

(and yes, there are easier ways to do that stuff rather than hex edit--but hex knowledge is good to have)

Pahntom, they work on 1.0, bcuz I think I dont have nothing ''natural''. All my game is modded in 1.2 and 1.0.
Led, have u ever heard from from 1.0a ? Bcuz mod maps work there (If im not wrong). Ill check it later.
Cya
Anyder | Talent, Ops & Culture | SWBF & Player Engagement
Email: communityambassador@swbfgamers.com
SWBFSpy Discord: http://discord.swbfspy.com
SWBFSpy Info: http://info.swbfspy.com

Basically my 1.0 files won't just be nice like the 1.2 .lvl files will. Maybe it's just stupid Vista.
Example: I made a mission.lvl file using the builder, and made Cloud City 150 Rebels with all classes and 350 Empire with Scout and Dark Troopers.  When I copy this to 1.2, it works great, no hitches at all.  When I copy it to 1.0, there is no change, somehow it sticks with my original mission.lvl, no matter how many different ways I copy my .lvl over.
I tried to make it as simple as I can, but I'm not sure that my problem is understood. Maybe its just my comp hating me.
Thanks for helping.

Ah, ok, i think i understand a bit better.  You did make changes but they don't show up in 1.0, but they do show up in 1.2.

I'm not sure this is the issue, but Vista has something called "virtual store" that can prohibit you from changing your files.

Read more here:
http://www.xfire.com/communities/perfectlittleangels/forums/157275/topic/4090119/

Another thing I suggest you do is just to make a backup copy of your 1.0 folder and try the mod from your backup.

Let us know if there are still problems or if this worked.

We will find a solution.

:ohmy: Stupid Vista.
It was the virtual store thing. The reason that it didn't show up on 1.2 was because in order for my ZeroEditor to work, I had made a modded BF 1.2 folder not in Program Files (x86) and used that.  My backup 1.0 folder was in Program Files so it kept the original. Sneaky, and probably smart for someone who has no clue what they are doing.
I've made about 5 backups to my folders just in case something happened a while back, I have a big enough hard drive anyway.
Anyway, it works now, so thanks.