Tatooine Dune Sea Xbox Beta

Started by Dark_Phantom, August 23, 2020, 01:53:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

Thanks for the share! This one's going to be 'interesting' to play on account of how large and sparse it is.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1
--Endor: Imperial Base

Pandemic definitely made the right decision in down-sizing the maps. This map is a real slog for infantry, but it's still pretty fun to fly around in.

Between this and the proto-Naboo map, it seems like the devs initially created maps that are reminiscent of early mod map attempts... in which map creators were possessed with a need to create great big empty maps with a bunch of vehicles littered about.

That's not to say I dislike that kind of map! Rhen Var: Dirty Ice is still one of my favourites.

Fun fact: When I was talking to Psych0fred about this map, he told me that at some point they enacted something like an "8-second rule" (I could be misremembering the number).  Basically, if you can't reach combat in 8 seconds by walking, it's too far apart.

To try to mitigate this issue without losing the "direct conversion directive" I have set for myself, I did bump the AI up to 40 per side and 18 tuskens.  It helps slightly with getting into action but of course there's still a ton of walking. In line with this directive, I also took portions from the original map lua (like AddCameraShot and death regions) and added them in.
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

Quote from: Dark_Phantom on August 24, 2020, 08:35:02 AM
Fun fact: When I was talking to Psych0fred about this map, he told me that at some point they enacted something like an "8-second rule" (I could be misremembering the number).  Basically, if you can't reach combat in 8 seconds by walking, it's too far apart.

To try to mitigate this issue without losing the "direct conversion directive" I have set for myself, I did bump the AI up to 40 per side and 18 tuskens.  It helps slightly with getting into action but of course there's still a ton of walking. In line with this directive, I also took portions from the original map lua (like AddCameraShot and death regions) and added them in.
Neat! I'm glad Fred is still out there answering these kind of questions.

These maps add a whole new level of context for what Jens Andersen said in Feb 2004:

QuoteThe maps vary in size greatly. Our environments range from arid deserts and icy plains to urban streets and dense jungles. But there are essentially two styles of maps we have, vehicle heavy or infantry heavy.
The vehicle heavy maps tend to be much larger and expansive since the vehicles of Star Wars are fast and powerful. The battle of Hoth and Geonosis are excellent examples of large expansive maps with lots of vehicles.

So yeah, of course the map is a slog while playing as infantry! It was solely intended for vehicle combat!