Where to start?

Started by Luna-old, December 22, 2016, 06:39:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
I want to try getting into modding, and I want to know where to start? Are there tutorials?
The years just fly past, don't they?

Well, we do have a forum called SWBF2 tutorials...  :whip:

;)

But it doesn't have a lot in it.  You can also try gametoast.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

I was hoping to get some advice from the modders here.

I always start by an idea I get while playing something. Usually its something like: "I wish this had something more like this," "This could be better if it was done this way..." things like that. I take a look at what is already created, and try to figure out how I could improve it or do it differently.

Try to think of something you wish was different, if you just need brainstorming ideas. Figure out if you want to do a side mod, a map, etc. That should be your first step. Once you have that figured out, we can go from there  :)
"Birth, pain, fear, death; the cycle of existence." -Dread Master Calphayus.

SWBF1 Maps: Tatooine: Mos Anek, Kashyyyk: Village, Naboo: Province, Tatooine: Gulch.

SWBF2 Maps: Space Carida.

I suggest you start with mission mods.

Then side mods.

Then maps.

Then 3-D models and animation.

Save sounds for last.

And, although SWBF2 and SWBF1 are not exactly the same, I suggest you look over the SWBF1 tutorials to get an idea of what you are in for.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Alright thanks, I'll think about it then reply back here!

Quote from: Ascertes on December 22, 2016, 10:44:19 AM
I always start by an idea I get while playing something. Usually its something like: "I wish this had something more like this," "This could be better if it was done this way..." things like that. I take a look at what is already created, and try to figure out how I could improve it or do it differently.

Try to think of something you wish was different, if you just need brainstorming ideas. Figure out if you want to do a side mod, a map, etc. That should be your first step. Once you have that figured out, we can go from there  :)

100% Agree with this. One thing to add, don't force (no pun intended) yourself to do something and don't try hard to think of ideas. Wait until you have one of those moments where you think "I wish it had..." and so on like Ascertes explained. Then you can think, "Oh. Wait, I can make that happen!"

I said to myself in January "I want to make a game" but I haven't actually taken any action despite thousands of ideas I've had because I want to find one that I would love to put years of effort into, hasn't been done before and that works really well with a particular audience. Same goes with modding but without the dramatic timespan and that nobody else really has to like it because you're not selling it.

Hope that also helps. Glad to hear you're getting into modding, Nyx!
Feel free to contact me on Steam, I answer instantly (Unless I'm offline):<br /><br />YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/roblox751123

Quote from: TheGangstarTY on December 22, 2016, 01:53:38 PM
100% Agree with this. One thing to add, don't force (no pun intended) yourself to do something and don't try hard to think of ideas. Wait until you have one of those moments where you think "I wish it had..." and so on like Ascertes explained. Then you can think, "Oh. Wait, I can make that happen!"

I said to myself in January "I want to make a game" but I haven't actually taken any action despite thousands of ideas I've had because I want to find one that I would love to put years of effort into, hasn't been done before and that works really well with a particular audience. Same goes with modding but without the dramatic timespan and that nobody else really has to like it because you're not selling it.

Hope that also helps. Glad to hear you're getting into modding, Nyx!

Thanks dude, I haven't come up with any ideas yet!

Quote from: Nyx on December 22, 2016, 06:39:56 AM
I want to try getting into modding, and I want to know where to start? Are there tutorials?
I don't mod SWBF2 but these websites also cover many useful tutorials
http://swbfmodding.wikidot.com/getting-started
https://sites.google.com/site/swbf2modtoolsdocumentation/

Quote from: Ascertes on December 22, 2016, 10:44:19 AM

This is true. Many of my ideas for modding originated from playing in the servers or a SP mod and thinking of new ideas to improve the game further. Once you have brainstormed enough ideas for a mod map, you will know what assets need to be featured and create a blueprint draft. For side mods, brainstorm which units and weapons are being included, etc. Then figure out which areas of modding you need to learn.

Quote from: Phobos on December 22, 2016, 03:41:45 PM
I don't mod SWBF2 but these websites also cover many useful tutorials
http://swbfmodding.wikidot.com/getting-started
https://sites.google.com/site/swbf2modtoolsdocumentation/

This is true. Many of my ideas for modding originated from playing in the servers or a SP mod and thinking of new ideas to improve the game further. Once you have brainstormed enough ideas for a mod map, you will know what assets need to be featured and create a blueprint draft. For side mods, brainstorm which units and weapons are being included, etc. Then figure out which areas of modding you need to learn.

Alright, thanks for all the help!