Seeking Music List

Started by Michaeluj, January 10, 2019, 06:16:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
As part of my Battlefront retrospective, I'm thinking of adding a section devoted to the soundtrack of each game. However, information is somewhat limited, especially for Battlefront 1. Even the Game Soundtracks website is making matters more difficult by confusing BF1 2004 and 2015:

https://downloads.khinsider.com/game-soundtracks/album/star-wars-battlefront

So, is there a convenient way of procuring a list of songs?

Nice idea. And yeah, it seems that Khinsider soundtrack is wrongly attributed, althrough one time the original one was uploaded. :XD:
AR Clan Discord: https://discord.gg/gmmSm5e | Star Wars: Battlefront - 20th Anniversary (2004-2024)

The first game uses material exclusively from the original soundtrack releases. I don't have everything to hand to check right now, but off the top of my head:

The Phantom Menace
-The Droid Invasion (Ultimate Edition version)
-The Droid Invasion And The Appearance Of Darth Maul
-Queen Amidala And the Naboo Palace
-Panaka and the Queen's Protectors
-Qui-Gon's Noble End
-Anakin Defeats Sebulba
-The Arrival At Tatooine and the Flag Parade
-The Sith Spacecraft and the Droid Battle
-Passage Through The Planet Core

Attack of the Clones
-Zam The Assassin and the Chase Through Coruscant
-Jango's Escape
-Bounty Hunter Pursuit
-Return To Tatooine
-The Tusken Camp And The Homestead
-Love Pledge and the Arena
-Confrontation And Finale
-The Conveyor Belt

The Empire Strikes Back
-The Imperial March
-Ion Cannon
-Imperial Walkers
-Beneath the AT-AT
-The Clash of Lightsabers

Return of the Jedi
-Luke Confronts Jabba/Den of the Rancor/Sarlacc Sentence
-The Pit of Carkoon/Sail Barge Assault
-Into the Trap
-Superstructure Chase

The second game instead uses music taken from what appears to be a Pro-Tools file of each score which contains the full score for each film.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)
--Endor: Imperial Base

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1

Giftheck, I am honestly amazed that you have this list "off the top" of your head. That's incredible. It's great!

However, there is one point about it, and this simply regards how the overall structure of my project is intended. I want to directly compare each of the games in so many different ways. For the soundtracks, maybe we can learn that there's a song or two that's used in one game but not in any others, or maybe name some titles that were used in all of the games, things like that--fun trivia. If that kind of comparison is, for whatever reason, impossible, then I'll make note of these limitations and leave the subject behind.

QuoteThe second game instead uses music taken from what appears to be a Pro-Tools file of each score which contains the full score for each film.

Are you saying that there is one big music file for each movie? If so, what may be the implications of this? Perhaps that confirming the score would involve extracting these files and then hours of pouring through them and matching the tunes with more conventional listings?

Quote from: Michaeluj on January 11, 2019, 09:24:22 AM
Giftheck, I am honestly amazed that you have this list "off the top" of your head. That's incredible. It's great!

However, there is one point about it, and this simply regards how the overall structure of my project is intended. I want to directly compare each of the games in so many different ways. For the soundtracks, maybe we can learn that there's a song or two that's used in one game but not in any others, or maybe name some titles that were used in all of the games, things like that--fun trivia. If that kind of comparison is, for whatever reason, impossible, then I'll make note of these limitations and leave the subject behind.

Are you saying that there is one big music file for each movie? If so, what may be the implications of this? Perhaps that confirming the score would involve extracting these files and then hours of pouring through them and matching the tunes with more conventional listings?

It would be tricky enough to compare the music used between the two games as their music comes from two different places. In the case of the first game, they only had access to the officially-released soundtrack albums. In the case of Battlefront II, yes, IIRC, the music editors received these Pro Tools files with all of the music from the films and they used these to create the music loops for the game. Obviously, we don't have these Pro Tools files to hand, but if you know the scores well enough, you would be able to place which piece belongs to which cue.

It is also important to note that each Pro Tools file contained something 'different' (forgive my sleep-addled brain for not thinking of a more appropriate word). Here's how so:

-The Phantom Menace Pro Tools file was of 'early mixes' of the score from The Phantom Menace, so the takes used in this file don't necessarily match up with material released on the official soundtracks or what is used in the final film mixes. Interestingly enough, this file also contains a choirless rendition of Duel of the Fates which has never been heard in full.
-The Attack of the Clones Pro Tools file was made up entirely of the final production mixes for each cue - in other words, the score as it is heard in the film, and not how it was written or recorded.
-The Revenge of the Sith Pro Tools file is something in between these two. It contains the 'film mixes' of all the cues, but those cues are not edited for the film. In other words, the complete score.

TL/DR: When developing the first Battlefront, the sound editors only had access to the officially-released soundtrack albums. In SWBF2, they had access to these Pro Tools files - complete scores for each Star Wars film - and used them extensively, supplanting most of the material from the previous game's sound editing process.
In Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront - Anniversary Edition (formerly Star Wars: Battlefront - Legacy Edition)
--Endor: Imperial Base

On Hold:
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1

UPDATE: I spoke with KHInsider. Yesterday, they removed the 2004 listing (and made it 2015). Then, today, the 2004 music returned!

Unfortunately, the scores are titled based on planet and faction names, and things of that sort, so any original titles from Lucasfilm remain unavailable. So, I guess I can forget about making direct comparisons between the games.