steam to XboX live user count.

Started by Soap Mactavish, June 13, 2010, 01:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
woot! just got some figures for user count i was rlly surprised.

Xbox boats 13 million users.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/press/2010/0205-whittenletter.htm

Steam boasts 29 million active users

http://store.steampowered.com/news/3390/

now what i dont get is, even tho Steam has over 15 million more users buying on steam. Why games come out exclusive to a certain console, knowing that there is a larger market on steam or a open platform release.

"Were bigger than Jesus!"  -John Lennon

Costs too much money to amke the game for multiple platforms?  Exclusive deal between company that made game and company that made console? Like if say a new console comes out, and nobody buys it, the company that made the console may make contracts with game making companies to make games exclusively for that console. Then if people want to play the games, they have to buy the console.
just a guess...

June 13, 2010, 04:52:56 PM #2 Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 04:57:25 PM by Soap Mactavish
1. money it costs to make a game for PC is no where close to the potential money they can make from 29 million buyers (more like the 3 million that i usually see everyday on the community activity graph on the side).

2. possibly, but idk if every single game that comes out from ps3 and xbox is exclusive to only consoles.

A good number of xbox users who don't online game too much don't use live, mainly because it's practically useless without Gold membership. Also there's PSNetwork and WiiConnect24 numbers to consider.

#TYBG

thats true ag but with 29 million active members on steam why would any developer ignore them? surely any cost of porting and a exclusive deal would be inferior to the potential money they could make. well i take back the second one, some of these companies can pay alot of cash.

Quote from: Soap Mactavish on June 13, 2010, 07:25:09 PM
thats true ag but with 29 million active members on steam why would any developer ignore them? surely any cost of porting and a exclusive deal would be inferior to the potential money they could make. well i take back the second one, some of these companies can pay alot of cash.

Who said devs are ignoring Steam? Do you know how many major and indie games have been published on it?

#TYBG

im not talking about games in general, im referring to games that release exclusively to console not PC.