Disc drive problems (Out of Date)

Started by Pvt. Stupo, January 30, 2009, 01:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
January 30, 2009, 01:16:13 PM Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 02:43:40 PM by invertus
So my old family computer's disc drive wont read discs as of last night. It opens and closes fine but it doesn't read them. Is there anyway to fix this?

The computer is Mac os x 10.3.9 (mad out of date i know) power pc g4 im pretty sure if that helps any...

what exactly happens? Does it say the disk is corrupted? Does it not show up on the desktop?

Viruses are like the New York Lottery. "Hey, you never know"

Pretty much I pop the disc in, close it, wait a little while and when it never shows up on the desktop i open the disc thing again and take out the disc as if I never even put a disc in it...

I tried a couple of discs and they didn't work. It doesn't have an error message or anything...

Try inserting the Panther disk, if you still have it and see if you can repair the disk utility etc. If that doesn't work, try upgrading to Tiger. Or try repairing the HD via a Leopard disk.

Open up any folder with a disk in and check if it shows up on the left side

I don't see what a panther disc would do even if I still had it seeing as my computer can't read discs...

And no there is no disc on the left side when I open a folder. Its as if I didn't put a disc in...

I think what mac meant was to try to boot from the panther disk. If that doesn't work, you just have bad hardware

I have an external disc drive type thing that we use to burn discs that works only thing is that it makes a ton of noise so I think we are just going to use that if we need to use a disc (which isn't that often anyways)...

Thanks for the help though...

Quote from: "The_Pi"I think what mac meant was to try to boot from the panther disk. If that doesn't work, you just have bad hardware

Yeah, if he still has the Panther disk. :P