what is the openspy website

Started by Alphanoob, June 28, 2013, 03:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
i've already tried gameranger and tunngle and i just want to try open spy so anyone please tell me the website so i can download it  :(

Openspy works by redirecting Gamespy addresses to openspy address.  There are some instructions here about how to do this.

One method is to use a patcher that changes your exe file.
The other method uses your HOSTS file and does the redirect there.

Both of these methods are explained on this website.  I will put links in here when I find them.

That said, OpenSpy has been down for weeks, and Tunngle is your best option is you want to play Multi-Player.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

The OpenSpy thing isn't exactly a download.

It's a DNS that som person set up, and in order to use it, you make changes to your OS and/or software to make use of it.

It's an invasive procedure that tends to mess up other programs that use the gamespy protocol.

I don't recomend it, as few folks (if any) are hosting SWBF games on it anymore.  We tested it here for a while, but it's flakey in that it doesn't actually work all the time.

Playing LAN games, via Tunngle and GameRanger remain the best options for SWBF online right now.
The Direct Connect, and Internet options are dead because of the gamespy shutdown.

I recommend Tunngle.

If you are having problems with it, try to explain them and we might be able to help you get it up and running.
(Don't forget to mention what OS you are using. Not sure if it makes a difference, but it could.)

-edit
(You are too quick, Mr Buckler)

buckler how do i get to these instructions that will help me :cheers:

June 28, 2013, 05:13:59 PM #4 Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 06:01:31 PM by Anyder
Anyder | Talent, Ops & Culture | SWBF & Player Engagement
Email: communityambassador@swbfgamers.com
SWBFSpy Discord: http://discord.swbfspy.com
SWBFSpy Info: http://info.swbfspy.com

June 28, 2013, 05:36:28 PM #6 Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 02:44:59 PM by Ltin