Your Top Gaming Picks

Started by Ultimo, September 23, 2014, 07:39:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
1.) Star Wars Battlefront 1
2.) Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2 (some days these ones jump over BF1)
3.) Star Wars Jedi Knight Dark Forces 2
4.) Star Wars Battlefront 2
5.) Most Madden NFL games (PS2/PS3)
6.) Ratchet and Clank (the first 3 for PS2)
7.) i'll think of more and update this...
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

Quote from: Joseph on September 24, 2014, 02:50:11 PM
Looks more like metal crabs?
Oh the Huge Hermit crab with mounted cannons is one of the many wonderful enemies in the game.

September 24, 2014, 08:32:21 PM #18 Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 06:42:21 AM by tirpider
Favorites that once I started playing them, I could spend weeks replaying, over and over (and still can.)
In order of preference:
  • 1 Star Wars: X-Wing
  • 2 Star Wars: Tie Fighter
  • 3 Star Wars: Battlefront (Ps2) / Starsiege: Tribes (tied for 3rd)
  • 4 Genghis Khan (NES) / Genghis Khan 2 (SNES)
  • 5 Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (Ps) and the ones like it on GBA/DS
  • 6 Command and Conquer (the first one)
  • 7 Starcraft
Some are kinda old, but that doesn't matter. The in-game experience is fun and compelling in all of them.

X-wing is just flat fun. Tie Fighter is too, but they monkeyed with the controls. If you could combine the content from both, the controls from X-wing, and the graphics from Tie-fighter, then there would only be one entry here. I didn't care much for the rest of the series as the controls became ridiculously simplified.

Tribes and Battlefront really shine in multiplayer environments. In Battlefront, the chatterbox detracts from gameplay, while in tribes, it actually enhanced it.

Genghis Khan is a turn based war game. It's sequel introduced more units and better graphics. It's just as good. I really enjoy the subtle historic accuracy of the units.

Symphony of the Night was the most beautiful platformer I had ever seen when it came out. I'm hooked on them now. If they just recycled the same SotN engine with a slightly different castle in each one, I'd buy them all and thank them for it. Not the 3d versions though. They should have a finger wagged at them over those.

Command and Conquer and Starcraft are crack for me. Just simple fun. Red Alert feels like to much at a time.

There are lots of more modern games that are really swell, but I have found most to be eye candy and they don't hold my attention very long. I'll always return to the above standbys.

Ahh Tie Fighter!  That's another one.  I actually never played Xwing but it's on my list of things to do... and get Tie Fighter again.
The BOBclan:  A Rich History

Quote from: Unit 33 on November 29, 2014, 03:44:44 AM
'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

September 26, 2014, 08:19:48 PM #20 Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 04:29:58 PM by Ltin

Quote from: Ltin on September 26, 2014, 08:19:48 PM
3. Civilization V
I used to play the second one a lot. Probably should've put that on my list.

Quote from: Gold Man on September 24, 2014, 06:43:48 AM
2. Need For Speed: Carbon (GameCube, probably the best NFS of the series)
I completely forgot about this one... I've spent so many years playing this game over and over. Loads of fun!
Good choice, GM
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

I've always thought that Hot Pursuit 2 was the best NFS.
"I would explain it to you but your head might explode."

I'm about to express my opinion. Beware, when I express my opinion, they tend to be long. And boring. Read at your own risk.
[spoiler]
Quote from: {TCE}Call-of-Duty on September 27, 2014, 06:39:06 AM
I've always thought that Hot Pursuit 2 was the best NFS.

NFS Hot Persuit 2 wasn't bad. But, the best?

Carbon was truly great, but only for the cop chases. Driving felt awkward, and racing was kinda boring. Touge was all right though. (Drifting felt great, but a tad bit too much arcade) Unfortunately some cars where way overpowered, the upgrades should have tried to keep them even, but with each car it's advantage.

NFSU2. Awesome. Only two problems where the terrible AI later in the game, and the fact that I HAD to have a riced out car. But being on a PC, I have my ways around the second issue. I think I own about 5 or 6 different copies of the NFS Underground series.

ProStreet was great, but it refuses to work on my PC.

Shift 1 was good but it's not NFS imo. Feels more Grid then NFS. I'm sure 2 is the same.

The Run was fun, I finished the Nintendo version but not the real version.

Rivals was a joke. I'm not kidding, terrible.
[/spoiler]

Before someone shouts "Off topic", this is on topic. We are discussing a games on our lists. Not some random game nobody mentioned like Goat Simulator.

Ask your friendly WgT member about joining today!

I only ever played 2 NFS games: Carbon and ProStreet.

ProStreet was somehow excellent on the Nintendo DS, but if your L-R buttons stopped working after a while like mine did, you were screwed because you couldn't shift gear.
Carbon was amazing in my eyes, but the Canyon races were very odd, and definitely designed for your opponent to score more points than you on those runs. The only possible way to win the final Canyon duel in the story line is to either Push your opponent off the cliff (extremely difficult, he corrects very well), OR you had to somehow gain the advantage and pull in front of his car and hold it for 5 seconds. (The recommended way, but watch out, he is loaded with NOS and may fishtail you.)
Formerly:
{Alpha}Gen.Ultimo
[212]Cpl.Ultimo
WUSi.Whisper

ProStreet and Fuel are my favorite racing games.

Quote from: {PLA} Van STING on September 27, 2014, 01:19:03 PM
ProStreet and Fuel are my favorite racing games.

Purchased Fuel yesterday and played it today. Very nice game.

Ask your friendly WgT member about joining today!

I'm going to give a big shoutout to Counter Strike Global Offensive. Hit me up if you got the game. Right now the only game I'm playing seriously. ESEA is a cesspool of toxic players but it's the highest level in North America.

Great memories of playind cod2, cod4, and swbf1 with this community. Also spent a LOT of time playing Street Fighter competitively but I dropped the game.

#TYBG

Quote from: Carbon27 on September 27, 2014, 10:50:33 AM
The Run was fun, I finished the Nintendo version but not the real version.
The one NFS game that I WANT to play. Haven't gotten around to a Wii version (hardly ever touch the Wii these days), though I am tempted to at least go PC if I can't go Wii.

Also, you thought Rivals was a joke? Try Nitro, it's so far out of it's league, it doesn't even deserve the title (Need For Speed) in it.