Star Wars Ep VII Trailer to premiere this Friday

Started by Commander Awesome, November 25, 2014, 07:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Commander Awesome

I'm not sure what to think of it, really. It looks good, but it looks like a fan made it.

411Remnant

You guys get it. I have the exact same thoughts you guys do. It almost is like fan film quality, not a bad thing. I almost felt meh about the teaser. I need to see more or they probably should have shown it later when more was done.
Battfront Stuff if your interested.
http://www.youtube.com/user/411Remnant

Gold Man

Quote from: 411Remnant on November 28, 2014, 10:09:38 AM
You guys get it. I have the exact same thoughts you guys do. It almost is like fan film quality, not a bad thing. I almost felt meh about the teaser. I need to see more or they probably should have shown it later when more was done.

Leaning more towards that thought as well, actually. They should have polished it up more before releasing it, because right now it looks fan film quality.

First impressions are normally most important when making a film like this with such a grand scale fanbase.

Droideka

November 28, 2014, 10:50:16 AM #18 Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 10:54:50 AM by Droideka
The reason why a lot of the CGI doesn't look great is because I think the CGI is still being developed. If I remember correctly, there was a huge difference between the teaser trailer for Guardians of the Galaxy, and the final movie scenes. Everything except that opening desert shot looked fine to me, anyways.

Also, of course they didn't show much at all, that's why it's called a teaser trailer  ;)

Overall, a good trailer. I kinda like the little crossguard on the lightsaber, but maybe it's making it too obvious that it's supposed to be a laser sword  ::)
Raoul Duke: feels redneck
Raoul Duke: have to bring the family tree when looking for women

Lilly Satou: also oh my god
Lilly Satou: fried chicken in the lingo is the best thing ever

Ultimo

Well at least now there are a few things we are going to see in the movie that were likely originally EU.
I for one am still bothered by Disney not supporting the EU.

{PLA} Van STING

I love the shot of the X-wings flying over the water. So far (in my opinion) they haven't ruined Star Wars.

Unit 33

Ya'll have your standards set too high.

This isn't the worst thing to happen to the franchise, it's a 80+ second teaser for a film due to release a year from now.

Ultimo

November 28, 2014, 02:16:13 PM #22 Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 02:18:08 PM by Ultimo
Good point, Unit. I hadn't really looked at it that way, so now it's nice for me to realize that they... we all still have some time.

Even better, my American friends will probably be happy if Spike decides to do a set of their long Star Wars series marathons before the seventh is released. I love it when Spike makes those marathons.

Gold Man

Quote from: Ultimo on November 28, 2014, 02:16:13 PM
Good point, Unit. I hadn't really looked at it that way, so now it's nice for me to realize that they... we all still have some time.

Even better, my American friends will probably be happy if Spike decides to do a set of their long Star Wars series marathons before the seventh is released. I love it when Spike makes those marathons.
I loved watching those marathons when my family had Spike. :P

But yeah, there's still probably lots of undeveloped stuff they have to do. This was probably them tossing what they had together just to give their fanbase some actual footage aside from teaser photos. Nonetheless, that cross-guard does through me off on that lightsaber, it makes the whole thing look too fan-made at that point.

X-Wings on the water though does remind me of a scene from one of the EU works (forget where its from, could've simply been artwork for all I know, I just remember seeing a similar scene on Wookieepedia somewhere).

411Remnant

If anything this trailer lowered my expectations lol.
Battfront Stuff if your interested.
http://www.youtube.com/user/411Remnant

Giftheck

I don't get the negativity to the lightsaber crossguard at all. I'd say it's quite practical. After all, how many Jedi and Sith have lost hands? One tactic in a sword fight is to aim down the hilt, delimbing your opponent, and the crossguard prevents that.
Works in Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront 1.25: "First Order-Resistance War Expansion"
--Main Play Mod Reboot
--Star Wars Battlefront Legacy Reboot
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1

{PLA}gdh92

Quote from: ggctuk2005 on November 29, 2014, 01:48:08 AM
I don't get the negativity to the lightsaber crossguard at all. I'd say it's quite practical. After all, how many Jedi and Sith have lost hands? One tactic in a sword fight is to aim down the hilt, delimbing your opponent, and the crossguard prevents that.
I don't think the hilt is the problem, the two metal bits of the cross would work well to stop a weapon being slid down the outside but then it adds to smaller lightsabers coming out of the hilt which in most positions would be more of a risk of catching your own arm. If it just had the metal to block lightsabers it would be practical. If the metal won't block lightsabers then the smaller lightsabers will be cut off anyway...

I can't believe I actually thought about it that much but at least the teaser's doing it's job. :)
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

Unit 33

'Please, tell me more about the logistics of the design of laser swords being wielded by space wizards' - Some guy on the internet.

Syyy

Quote from: {PLA}gdh92 on November 29, 2014, 03:37:09 AM
I don't think the hilt is the problem, the two metal bits of the cross would work well to stop a weapon being slid down the outside but then it adds to smaller lightsabers coming out of the hilt which in most positions would be more of a risk of catching your own arm. If it just had the metal to block lightsabers it would be practical. If the metal won't block lightsabers then the smaller lightsabers will be cut off anyway...

I can't believe I actually thought about it that much but at least the teaser's doing it's job. :)

Someone made this to justify the lightsaber design : http://gfycat.com/EverlastingFelineGrayfox

Giftheck

Quote from: Syyy on November 29, 2014, 04:26:14 AM
Someone made this to justify the lightsaber design : http://gfycat.com/EverlastingFelineGrayfox

What mystifies me is how Obi-Wan pulled that off on Grievous not once but twice.
Works in Progress:
--Star Wars: Battlefront 1.25: "First Order-Resistance War Expansion"
--Main Play Mod Reboot
--Star Wars Battlefront Legacy Reboot
--Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron For SWBF1