Started by Nikoli, April 22, 2010, 05:03:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
April 22, 2010, 05:03:44 PM Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 08:04:50 PM by Buckler
Name: Longstrike model
Type:   Just in case you couldn't read the above line, it's a model
This contains: NerfLongstrike.msh and LongShot_Text.tga
Compatible with:  SWBF1 or SWBF2
Download Size: 1.63 MB
How long this took me: Not very long unless you count the time it took me to figure out how to get it to export properly
Program used: XSI for conversion, Photoshop for making the texture, and Wings3D for modeling

A Model of a nerf gun, just replace any gun model with this. (:HINT: you do that in the odf file)

Credits: Mr.Google for finding the picture of it for me, Nerf for making the design, and AG for helping me figure out how the heck to get it converted properly.

Link to download ----->    http://www.filefront.com/16211309/LongStrike.zip  <---------

Edited by buckler:  Link is broken, if anyone has these files, please let me know and we can put them up here.

Sweet! DLing now! I have a good idea for this  :tu:
=AaTc= Forever

SALLY....

-Retired Modder

Sweet! this is a must download! :cheer: Does it come with the nerf dart effect?
There is no 'ctrl' button on Chuck Norris's computer. Chuck Norris is always in control.

no, I will be uploading those soon with their odfs which make them behave just like nerf darts

Are you familiar with using MshEx to export your ModTool-created models to .msh? You have more options than having to use a limited trial.

Also, since it looks like you had a sideview texture, you might try importing that as a rotoscope when you're creating your model next time. What you have right there is pretty blocky (which is a fine first try), but even for a beginner, having a rotoscope as a reference can make it very easy to get correct proportions.

I'm using XSI not the mod tool. Not sure what rotoscope is but if you want to discuss it through the PMs I'd be happy to learn.

It might be worthwhile to start learning XSI Mod Tool, since your trial will eventually run out for XSI Foundation.

In any case, either version has an option in the viewport to add a rotoscope:

Once added, the rotoscopy options give a couple fairly self-explanatory means of manipulating the image (e.g. size, positioning) to help you line it up with your model.

Thanks, I'll try that out next time. And I'm not using a trial version but thanks for the advice anyway. :tu:

Quote from: Nikoli on April 22, 2010, 07:23:36 PM
Thanks, I'll try that out next time. And I'm not using a trial version but thanks for the advice anyway. :tu:
If you're not using a trial version then you're using a pirated (and illegal) version, since the version of Foundation needed hasn't been available for purchase for several years.

I don't know what Foundation is, I even googled "Foundation modeling tool" and it didn't come up with anything relevent. Anyway, I thought there were rules against junior admining and if you have a beef with me it should be better discussed in PMs, unless for some reason you are trying to discredit me. If so it is in very poor taste.

April 22, 2010, 08:12:39 PM #10 Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 08:21:49 PM by Maveritchell
Quote from: Nikoli on April 22, 2010, 08:01:15 PMI thought there were rules against junior admining and if you have a beef with me it should be better discussed in PMs
I don't have any problem with you personally; I've just been trying to help you figure out how to make your model better. I'm not making any judgements either, I was simply pointing out that if you're not using XSI Mod Tool, like you said:
Quote from: Nikoli on April 22, 2010, 06:50:28 PM
I'm using XSI not the mod tool.
...and you're not using the XSI trial, like you said:
Quote from: Nikoli on April 22, 2010, 07:23:36 PMAnd I'm not using a trial version but thanks for the advice anyway.
...then you are consequently using a pirated version of the software (assuming there is not simply a terminology confusion). Not doing anything more than putting you on alert in the event that you were unaware that the software you're using is technically illegal in most countries.  :)

That doesn't seem illegal to me.
@Nerfgun: This kinda wants me to get into doing this kind of stuff :)

April 22, 2010, 08:36:39 PM #13 Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 08:39:57 PM by Maveritchell
Quote from: Nikoli on April 22, 2010, 08:22:45 PM
How is this illigal? http://www.jpcommunications.net/discount/buy_cheap_Avid_SoftImage_XSI_Advanced_5.0_download.html
I would be interested to see how they are selling license keys since XSI|Softimage (now Autodesk) no longer sells them and hasn't for years, and since any full copy of XSI Foundation requires a digital product key. And I sincerely mean interested, as XSI Foundation had a price tag of a few hundred dollars - if that were legitimate (I do not believe it is), then I would leap at the opportunity to get the software for that low a price, especially since it is not available for purchase.

In any case, you don't have to prove anything to me - I'm not looking for validation or refutation of what I believe I know. Did you manage to find the rotoscope option and give it a try?

Yeah it's actually pretty cool, although I do my modeling in Wings3D and I just use an image plane and set it next to the model. I only use XSI for setting up nulls and converting