New way to play SWBFI online? (not Tunngle)

Started by Kit Fisto, April 07, 2013, 05:09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I don't think it would be a good idea relocating the small community again. Then even more people are left behind.... Even when I didn't have tunngle working I would tell people about it on GR. I would say around 50 players get on at one time at the peak, 1.0 and 1.2, since tunngle says 66 are on. But that's just my opinion.

Quote from: {212th} AÐv | Märt¥ on April 14, 2013, 05:34:50 PM
I don't think it would be a good idea relocating the small community again. Then even more people are left behind.... Even when I didn't have tunngle working I would tell people about it on GR. I would say around 50 players get on at one time at the peak, 1.0 and 1.2, since tunngle says 66 are on. But that's just my opinion.

Yes, this is a big concern. 

There is also the matter of distribution of any new service, even if we could figure out how to do it.  I would really like to have a way to get our mac players back with us, but I think we need to find a solution that works with tunngle.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

I understand that we lose the community each time we switch a multiplayer option. But if this involves only downloading something, installing once and it working exactly like Gamespy did without having to launch anything I think it might do a lot better. And distributing the information wouldn't be hard at all. I can say that I could have distributed the Tunngle information all over the place, but since I can't play Tunngle I saw no motivation. If we switch to this I would personally distribute the information regarding how to play (and even make a video) and give it to every gaming site friendly to SWBFI.

So what do you say? Let's give it a shot? If it works, we can get started on slowly moving the community to openspy.
Quote from: Buckler on April 14, 2013, 05:39:25 PM
I would really like to have a way to get our mac players back with us, but I think we need to find a solution that works with tunngle.
You and I both have spent hours looking for a Mac VLAN option but to no avail...  :'(

Led, you know that if we have your backing on this new option it is likely to succeed. But we need you to help us! I hope you (and others) know what I mean.

i thought game ranger allowed mac and pc to play together, or am i mistaken
Peace is a lie, there is only passion          -Fear leads to anger
Through passion, I gain strength              -Anger leads to hate
Through strength, I gain power                -Hate leads to suffering
Through power, I gain victory
Through victory, my chains are broken
The Force shall free me

Kit asked all the right questions in the OP, so if someone could answer them, the problem would be solved.

If openspy both (1) doesn't requires a new download and (2) is visible to new players who open up SWBF multiplayer for the first time, then it's clearly worth switching, because it allows for community growth.

Otherwise, forget about it.

Quote from: «ΙΞ¢KØ» on April 14, 2013, 10:00:59 PM
i thought game ranger allowed mac and pc to play together, or am i mistaken
Nope. Both platforms can use it, but neither can join each others' games.

Quote from: Joseph on April 14, 2013, 10:40:44 PM
Kit asked all the right questions in the OP, so if someone could answer them, the problem would be solved.

If openspy both (1) doesn't requires a new download and (2) is visible to new players who open up SWBF multiplayer for the first time, then it's clearly worth switching, because it allows for community growth.

Otherwise, forget about it.
Thanks You!

So would Bandit like to come forward? Or someone who understands how this thing works?  :D

Openspy cannot replace gamespy, as they do not have gamespys master server ip address.  What it does is serve as a replacement for gamespy, _after_ you edit your PS2 game's specific internet setting to look for the master server at a different IP address (openspy). 

For PC games you need a specific patch written for each specific game, to redirect  from the dead-gamespy to the openspy master server.

Unless SWBF is patched to work with openspy, the internet(gamespy) option will never work again.

At this point, tunngle is the best option still.

Quote from: deadmeow on April 15, 2013, 08:37:02 AM
Openspy cannot replace gamespy, as they do not have gamespys master server ip address.  What it does is serve as a replacement for gamespy, _after_ you edit your PS2 game's specific internet setting to look for the master server at a different IP address (openspy). 

For PC games you need a specific patch written for each specific game, to redirect  from the dead-gamespy to the openspy master server.

Unless SWBF is patched to work with openspy, the internet(gamespy) option will never work again.

At this point, tunngle is the best option still.
what about hex editing the exe to call on another IP address?

I do believe that is what he means.
But I think if we did, it would be as easy as hex editing it once (not really easy, I know), and then just putting up a download (assuming it was legal), then everyone that wants to play online again can just download it like a patch like NO-cd patch.

Sigh*, Sadly I doubt it will ever be possible legally...

Quote from: Kit Fisto on April 14, 2013, 08:10:21 PM
I understand that we lose the community each time we switch a multiplayer option. But if this involves only downloading something, installing once and it working exactly like Gamespy did without having to launch anything I think it might do a lot better. And distributing the information wouldn't be hard at all. I can say that I could have distributed the Tunngle information all over the place, but since I can't play Tunngle I saw no motivation. If we switch to this I would personally distribute the information regarding how to play (and even make a video) and give it to every gaming site friendly to SWBFI.

So what do you say? Let's give it a shot? If it works, we can get started on slowly moving the community to openspy. You and I both have spent hours looking for a Mac VLAN option but to no avail...  :'(

Led, you know that if we have your backing on this new option it is likely to succeed. But we need you to help us! I hope you (and others) know what I mean.

I can't work magic.

Kit, you can do the investigation for us.  Please contact those guys and see if they can help us out.

Quote from: Buckler on April 15, 2013, 02:41:17 PM
I can't work magic.
Wait..... What?  :'(

Quote from: Buckler on April 15, 2013, 02:41:17 PM
Kit, you can do the investigation for us.  Please contact those guys and see if they can help us out.
Do you want me to contact LucasArts and ask them if it is legal to edit the Battlefront.exe to "create" a new master server?

Quote from: Kit Fisto on April 15, 2013, 04:07:16 PM
Do you want me to contact LucasArts and ask them if it is legal to edit the Battlefront.exe to "create" a new master server?
Lol, like you'd ever get a straight answer from that.

April 15, 2013, 04:32:09 PM #29 Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 04:34:35 PM by Buckler
Quote from: Kit Fisto on April 15, 2013, 04:07:16 PM
Wait..... What?  :'(

Contact whoever has this new master server software.  See if we can get the software or see if we can use their service, and then tell us what IP to use if we use their service.

Ideally, we would have a solution that we can manage ourselves, otherwise we will eventually be back to where we are now.

Don't worry about LucasArt; we don't even know what we have to do yet.