Why do you play Star Wars Battlefront?

Started by Kit Fisto, March 11, 2013, 07:18:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I was originally going to do a poll but I realized that everyone's reason could be different!

So why do you play and/or mod Star Wars Battlefront 1?

[spoiler]I play SWBFI because of the Star Wars aspect. I love Star Wars. The reason I play SWBFI more than SWBFII is for a variety of reasons. I like SWBFI's engine, map design, sides, vehicles and overall feel of the game. In SWBFI I truly feel like a trooper on the front lines. I could go on and on but I think you guys get what I'm trying to say. I should also mention that I don't play pretty much any video games except SWBFI. [/spoiler]

March 11, 2013, 07:21:16 PM #1 Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 07:35:49 PM by Shazam
I play Star Wars Battlefront because I am addicted to it.

'Nuff said.

-edit:  Oh. I just realized you asked why we mod it, too.

Well, I mod because the game can get a tad dull after a while. I change my unit and map skins at least once a month just for the sake of keeping the game interesting.

I play it for the clan :p. Can't leave them. I also play because I want to help keep battlefront alive. The game is still kind of fun for me. I'm still learning the right places to aim at....

Why I play SWBF1? I sort of got into it when my buddy John invited me to his house, and we played SWBF1 on his Xbox 360. Since then (I was 11 at that time), I waited until I was 13 to buy that game. I've always had a liking to Star Wars, despite everyone's criticism on the game and/or other things LucasArts/LucasFilm makes, and to date, SWBF1 is the only game I've played more than any other that I own, even on console.

In general, I like the fact it's a shooter without the bloodshed and swearing of today's modern sci-fi FPS games.

Mods to me however, just spruce the game, they keep it fresh in my opinion. :P

I started because it was Star Wars, have stayed because of the good people  :cheers:
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln. on November 04, 1971, 12:34:40 PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Quote from: {Alpha}Gold Man on March 11, 2013, 07:31:28 PM
In general, I like the fact it's a shooter without the bloodshed and swearing of today's modern sci-fi FPS games.

^^ A thousand times this ^^

Stormtroopers.

All the fps games seem to be centered on the one-man-army-hero-of-all concept, and some are pretty fun. It's old to me. 

SWBF puts the player in the forgotten corner of the Star Wars battlefield. That guy on the field that no sagas will be written about doing stuff with his company far away from where the heros are saving the damsel in distress.  Just a soldier, doing his job.

Every now and then, a task of merit come by (destroy the shield generator, ect..) And the soldier does it. Without ceremoney, without medals or even a pat on the helmet from Vader.

It's a fun perspective I haven't seen done well in other games.

I got hooked into the msh files as soon as I saw there was no one documenting the format (I didn't know about Ande's work at the time.)  Now it's my crazy-person work.

Quote from: {Alpha}Gold Man on March 11, 2013, 07:31:28 PM
Yes. It isn't just the same old generic FPS, it's different!

Quote from: tirpider on March 11, 2013, 08:07:11 PM
^^ A thousand times this ^^

Stormtroopers.

All the fps games seem to be centered on the one-man-army-hero-of-all concept, and some are pretty fun. It's old to me. 

SWBF puts the player in the forgotten corner of the Star Wars battlefield. That guy on the field that no sagas will be written about doing stuff with his company far away from where the heros are saving the damsel in distress.  Just a soldier, doing his job.

Every now and then, a task of merit come by (destroy the shield generator, ect..) And the soldier does it. Without ceremoney, without medals or even a pat on the helmet from Vader.

It's a fun perspective I haven't seen done well in other games.

I got hooked into the msh files as soon as I saw there was no one documenting the format (I didn't know about Ande's work at the time.)  Now it's my crazy-person work.
Yes that's it, it's celebrating the efforts of the many, rather than the actions of the singular super soldier.
It's also quite the "blank canvas" of a game, allowing a lot of room for imagination and modding.

i play cuz modding swbf is more fun than modding any other game for me. i also enjoy the combat aspect of swbf and think its just as, if not more amazing now as it was when it came out.

Star Wars factor, is realy important thing for me. Also, it's actualy "arena type" game. Something similar was in vehicular combat games before, like Vigilante 8, which I am also playd before. In such games, situation never repeats twise, and each event is unique. There is no AI triggers, so, you can't expect something like this: "Oh, here is 2 bad guys should appear, and there will be another one, hiding in next corner." Of'course it's cud be fun, but with time, it's cud be bored, and such game will be abandoned...
I am also like gameplay - it's actualy very simple: no overloaded mission directives, no blinking overgrown reticules, numbers, and direction arrows, just runing, shooting, and capturing CP's - that's it, but it's fun anyway!
And of'course, modding aspect: hard to belive, but with this game, you may bring to life, any world enviroment, and the limit is only your imagination!  :o People have to start writing book's, or start paintings, to create theyr own worlds before ;)...
That's more then anough to stay with SWBF!
Beauty is, the way to perfection.

Glory to Ukraine!  :mf:

I play because of the small and at same time big community (not like COD where i can play a whole week and still wont play with anyone that i played before) I know alot of people but like to hear about older players that made and discovered the clans,rules,tournaments,glitches,tricks....And those last 2 aspects make the game very fun,it`s very hard to be 'good' if you dont know the game`s ''tricks''.

My Swbfhistory starts like GoldMans.... i was invited to friends house and we played Star Wars Battlefront 1 on his Playstation. From this day it was a good friend of mine  :cheer:. Then i bought Star Wars Battlefront 2 (PS2) on my own.
After years another friend bought Bf 2 for computer and played online. I did the same but i realized that I like Bf 1 maps more. So i bought it for just 10 €. I didnt like the graphic this time so i went to store and gave it back for the reason that i am 15 years old ( in germany this game is allowed for people over 16 ). :D Then i bought it again and since this time i played it much. Sometimes a few months not. I thought i were good (Ententeich and other servers) but then one year ago I was invited to a Pro Server and regognized that i am a beginner  :o.
I play and hope I will play it in the next years because its always fun :) And i hope that our community (I am new i think) won´t die.
We are less people left, so i hope it will consist peaceful.

Sorry for my English if there are some mistakes.

I don´t mod because the tutorials are to specific english for me---> I don´t understand everything.(and I am maybe too old to learn new things^^ and I haven´t got enough time to trytrytrytry).

Hope toplay the next years with you :)

To be the Best, you have to beat the Best.

Hmm, very good questions.

Well, first of all, SWBF was my first 3rd 3 Dimensional game,
At first I really thought without thinking in technical terms of how the game was built, but rather thought completely about the gameplay, Naboo was my first planet, and it was beautiful! I was amazed by the droideka, "Someone finally mastered making something cool!" I thought.

I really do love the gameplay, it's something special that I haven't found in any other game I've ever played.
Even single player was pretty neat for me. And as many other people say, it is my first FPS, so I am rather attached to it :)
------------------------------------------------------
Why I like to mod it;
I love how there is so much room to increase gameplay, there are pretty much, endless possibility with the game. I first made a jetpack that didn't run out of fuel, and thought "Holy cow it actually worked?!"
And started making FAR overpowered weapons, like a pistol that blew up the Technounions :P
Now looking back, modding SWBF is what started me in programming other things, like some HTML, and how to use some Microsoft programs to there full capiblities, Most parents would say "That game just rots your brain, and has no educational values!"  But I say the contrary, it got me into typing fast (Multiplayer chat), it taught me variables before I learned them in math, with the ODFs, it taught me how 3D models work, not just in MSH format, it got me into Artwork as well.

SWBF modding has helped me more than just modify battlefront, it has taught me educational things that I can use in future.

Quote from: Buckler on March 11, 2013, 07:33:01 PM
I started because it was Star Wars, have stayed because of the good people  :cheers:
I'm exactly the same. After a couple of thousand hours on and offline I'm still finding new things in this game but I only play as much as I do because of the community.
My modding skills are virtually non-existant (my best is making a sandy lump in Zeroedit and painting a skin a different colour) but I enjoy everyone elses maps and appreciate the time that goes into them. :)
I play less now but I'll always be around, lets keep this site and battlefront going. :)

Wow, I started about 3 years ago but, like many others I was invited over to a freinds house and we played it on the playstation 2, I have very little intrest in the game (I was 7 OK) But I just liked walking around and shooting my pal! But, I never really liked it until we were at a book store 3 summers (almost 4) ago and we (me and my brother) found this game SWBF 1, It was mostly boring at first for me, because all we played was singleplayer, then I made the daunting journey and I pressed the MULTIPLAYER Option, It was at that point that I was sprung into the game and found myself at a astounding 2-50 record on PLA fastspawn server! Lot's of fun though, and I continued to play the game and found myself addicted