swbfgamers.com mappack idea?

Started by Kit Fisto, December 24, 2012, 03:15:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Since this is a community project I would like to put some insight on this idea. I would personally love to see a SWBFgamers map/mod pack.

Quote from: KillerOfSleep on December 25, 2012, 03:34:05 PM
Or each of the modders here makes a completely new map to put in a mappack.
My suggestion is for our great modders (you know if that's you  ;) ) to work together on this. I can only imagine this awesomeness that our mappers could develop if they were all working together. Sure, most of our modders tend to work solo, but all I ask is for some cooperation for something like this.

Perhaps we could convince our mappers to come together and create 3 maps? That isn't asking for too much, especially if they work together. (The only reason I say this is because most modders tend to be specifically good at one thing, like skinning, modeling, ect.) The rest of the maps should be voted on.

If we want an easy download, why not make one of those "self-downloadable" things? All the downloader would have to do is press "Run" or whatever, then it downloads the files in the correct place. I've seen it done before.

Quote from: Jolly Ol' Agent Z on December 25, 2012, 04:05:48 PM
Since this is a community project I would like to put some insight on this idea. I would personally love to see a SWBFgamers map/mod pack.
My suggestion is for our great modders (you know if that's you  ;) ) to work together on this. I can only imagine this awesomeness that our mappers could develop if they were all working together. Sure, most of our modders tend to work solo, but all I ask is for some cooperation for something like this.

Perhaps we could convince our mappers to come together and create 3 maps? That isn't asking for too much, especially if they work together. (The only reason I say this is because most modders tend to be specifically good at one thing, like skinning, modeling, ect.) The rest of the maps should be voted on.

If we want an easy download, why not make one of those "self-downloadable" things? All the downloader would have to do is press "Run" or whatever, then it downloads the files in the correct place. I've seen it done before.

Sha-Zam, isn't that exactly how Unit's massive CC project was being built? A group effort? It still hasn't been completed even (I don't think). I love the idea too, and sorry if I sound a tad rash, but perhaps the process of making 3 maps with a combined effort would take longer? Then again, Rome wasn't built in a day, neither are great mod maps. Perhaps at least a more efficient way or a faster manner to finish maps? I don't mean to bang the idea, but I am simply making a reasonable statement.

Quote from: Jolly Ol' Agent Z on December 25, 2012, 04:05:48 PM

That sounds good, but the thing is I have had a the modders you speak of say that they "work best alone." So this probably won't happen. It would be awesome if it did though.  :'(

And no self run stuff. The reason being, I'm a Mac, and there might be others out there, and a self run thing would make it so that Mac's can't play any of the maps. Sorry.  :shrug:

December 25, 2012, 04:35:30 PM #33 Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 04:40:56 PM by Jolly Ol' Agent Z
Quote from: {Alpha}Gold Claus on December 25, 2012, 04:17:28 PM
Sha-Zam, isn't that exactly how Unit's massive CC project was being built? A group effort? It still hasn't been completed even (I don't think). I love the idea too, and sorry if I sound a tad rash, but perhaps the process of making 3 maps with a combined effort would take longer? Then again, Rome wasn't built in a day, neither are great mod maps. Perhaps at least a more efficient way or a faster manner to finish maps? I don't mean to bang the idea, but I am simply making a reasonable statement.
The main reason I wanted this was to see what "the best of the best" on SWBFgamers could make. It would probably be epic. So what if I takes longer? We could take this step-by-step, I'm not expecting this to come out any time too soon.

Quote from: Kit Fisto on December 25, 2012, 04:27:20 PM
That sounds good, but the thing is I have had a the modders you speak of say that they "work best alone." So this probably won't happen. It would be awesome if it did though.  :'(

And no self run stuff. The reason being, I'm a Mac, and there might be others out there, and a self run thing would make it so that Mac's can't play any of the maps. Sorry.  :shrug:
Maybe the ones that are willing to work together could. I'm sure once (or if) this idea gets rolling the other modders might want in.

And no offence to the Mac players out there, but most of the people that play SWBF now are on PC. We could do the self-download thing and make a second version in .zip or something for the Macs. :)

Quote from: Jolly Ol' Agent Z on December 25, 2012, 04:35:30 PM
And no offence to the Mac players out there, but most of the people that play SWBF now are on PC. We could do the self-download thing and make a second version in .zip or something for the Macs. :)
Well you don't know that. But we can make a second version for Macs. But someone else will have to do the assembling for the .exe file. I can do the MacMappack then. ;)

Well that all sounds lovely. But multiple people working on the same map won't really work, each person will have different ideas and concepts. And staying organized is a mission as well.

Quote from: Kit Fistofor 2: that would be quite troublesome and I think that if we had a "contest" the maps would be rushed. I want to stick with already developed maps.
You definitely are not the right guy to be organizing a map pack. Did I say contest? No I did not. By doing thid kind of map pack every single mapper could say they would like to contribute a map to it. They would make it and then send it to the person who was putting it together for integration.

Wow! Well obviously you know how to do this sort of stuff so how about you organize this! You can't say I'm not the person to organize this and not do anything to help.

Well everybody, SK is doing this from now on.

Quote from: [FC]Elite on December 24, 2012, 08:08:07 PM
Agreed, Skin changer is far the best mod I even seen.
I don't want to ignore all the other incredible feats of technology and modding, but I must say, I agree that is it the best mod I've ever laid eyes upon.

December 26, 2012, 02:05:36 AM #38 Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 04:09:50 AM by UNIT 33
Quote from: {Alpha}Gold Claus on December 25, 2012, 04:17:28 PM
Oh that old thing. I would sincerely love to re-jegger that project... but I would need a lot of help. Either that or just hand the project over to someone else completely. Map making is just beyond my capabilities... I'm better at the ideas, sides and skins sort of things. If anyone's interested in taking over the CC project, PM me.

Quote from: UNIT 33 on December 26, 2012, 02:05:36 AM
Oh that old thing. I would sincerely love to re-jegger that project... but I would need a lot of help. Either that or just hand the project over to someone else completely. Map making is just beyond my capabilities... I'm better at the ideas, sides and skins sort of things. If anyone's interested in taking over the CC project, PM me.
I think I still have the side assets if you don't have them. I'd be happy to help, but I can't make maps. (BFBuilder problems)  :confused:

Anyways! Back to topic...

I don't think SK wanted to take over this project. It was your idea Kit, so I would either do it yourself or find someone who would steer this into the right direction.

Ok. Well MY plan was to have maps released here on swbfgamers and Lu them into a mappack. No mods, only maps. So the ONLY instillation people have to do is place things into their addon folder. Plus promotional screenshots & possibly a vid.

Now is that all agreed on? I'd like to get this of the planning stage. :)

Quote from: Kit Fisto on December 26, 2012, 03:35:49 PM
Ok. Well MY plan was to have maps released here on swbfgamers and Lu them into a mappack. No mods, only maps. So the ONLY instillation people have to do is place things into their addon folder. Plus promotional screenshots & possibly a vid.

Now is that all agreed on? I'd like to get this of the planning stage. :)
I still think a self extractor would be better. People that haven't modded or installed mods before might be cautious or get confused if they have to do it manually.

BUT, this is your little project. I'm just here to make suggestions.

I think a self extractor is a good idea! The thing is I can't make it, test it, or distribute that. But if someone else would want to then I'm all for a self extractor. I could make a Mac version later. :)

I can make an installer for it, like I did with SWBF Unleashed.

Since no one has said anything about this for a while, I am going to make a list of maps that I think should be in the pack.

-Mustafar: Refinery
-Earth: Egypt and Russia
-Utapau: Sinkhole
-Abridon (Not sure if that is spelled correctly)
-Dantooine: Dust
-Hoth: Caves
-Coruscant: Streets and City
-Mygeeto: War-Torn City
More will be added later

I know there are different versions/ports for these maps, I'll leave it up to Kit Fisto to choose the best. (I have only played one version for most of these maps.)

I tried to list maps that would be exciting in MP as well as SP.

What is the limit to how many maps can be added?